Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Nov 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #526 of 1,055
Hmmm, can't decide between these 3 -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110606547193&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220702077890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190470369645&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'll save up for a separate amp after Christmas if need be, but this is just for a first DAC/amp combo
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #527 of 1,055
If you get the Matrix you would have the option of using a balanced amp.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #529 of 1,055
That's weird, I thought that the USB audio standard was independent of OS and therefore universal. And I can't see the platform making a difference for s-pdif/toslink. Is it perhaps for some kind of integrated sound-shaping software platform? Regardless that Onkyo does look nice.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #530 of 1,055

That's weird, I thought that the USB audio standard was independent of OS and therefore universal. And I can't see the platform making a difference for s-pdif/toslink. Is it perhaps for some kind of integrated sound-shaping software platform? Regardless that Onkyo does look nice.

I would think that the Onkyo DAC 1000 probably needs a special driver to make the USB input accept higher than 48 Khz. They have it for Windows now but I'm sure a Mac OS X and/or Linux version is forthcoming....maybe more so the Mac:)

That's one sexy device though......too bad its not even offered in the US.

I also want to see some reviews of the Mini I VA2. I have googled to no avail.

PA

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #531 of 1,055

Quote:
If you get the Matrix you would have the option of using a balanced amp.

I was leaning more towards the Matrix, they're at a similar price as well - Plus having the benefit of using a balanced amp in the future like you said adds more kudos. Hmm, might go order one, hopefully will be here before christmas
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #532 of 1,055

Quote:

I've owned the LD DAC II and now own the stock Matrix Mini-i. I found the headphone amp on the Matrix to be superior especially with higher ohm cans. It's also a balanced DAC offering more possibilities.

All this talk about a $400 upgrade to a $300 DAC makes my head spin...I'd really like to hear the difference but will not pay that kind of cash for upgrade parts that likely cost 50->$70 (at most is my guess). The whole attraction of the Matrix was/is it's low price/performance ratio. I prefer it to the DacMagic but that's more of a personal sound signature preference than SQ difference. I think the SQ is pretty close with the Mini-i being fuller sounding (which might make it seem a little less detailed in direct comparison). IMO the Matrix is a warmer, more musical sounding DAC than the Cambridge.
I've posted before that I use the Matrix with a Little Dot MKVII+ and have not heard any better sounding music for what this combination cost. I haven't heard everything of course but have spent significant time with quite a few set-ups thanks to meets and a good friend I met through head-fi.
It seems to me much is often made of very little objective improvement in SQ once you reach a certain level. If one can afford a $7 -> $10,000 set-up then of course there can be significant improvements in clarity, depth and soundstage with a more holographic presentation. Even so the actual recordings can often be a bottleneck even (and maybe especially) with the best systems. I've learned to try be happy with what I can afford as it's very easy to allow the pursuit of better SQ to interfere with the enjoyment of music.

@Grokit

How much is the clock upgrade you're using in the Mini-i and where is it available?

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #533 of 1,055

Quote:

I would think that the Onkyo DAC 1000 probably needs a special driver to make the USB input accept higher than 48 Khz. They have it for Windows now but I'm sure a Mac OS X and/or Linux version is forthcoming....maybe more so the Mac:)

That's one sexy device though......too bad its not even offered in the US.

I also want to see some reviews of the Mini I VA2. I have googled to no avail.

PA

It's weird that some asynchronous USB implementations need dedicated software drivers and some don't, I think these dedicated drivers are on their way out. The Onkyo's s/pdif inputs should work for higher sampling rates on non-Windows machines though shouldn't they?

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #534 of 1,055
@Hellenback Thanks alot for the feedback, yea as It's virtually impossible for me to even compare these two in real life, reviews and personal opinions are great for me to sum up. I've not even considered the DacMagic, looks like a very sturdy and well built unit at pretty much the same price, my only problem is I won't be able to afford a seperate amp right now so I'll just be stuck with a DAC and my dt880s
frown.gif
Do you think it's worth getting the Matrix and using the built in amp for the time being, see if I'm satisfied with the sound sig etc, and then in the future buy a seperate amp - Maybe the Little Dot MKIV?....OR save up and buy the DacMagic and a seperate amp at the same time?
biggrin.gif
It's just money that's limiting me atm, buying all the families Christmas presents 'n all
cool.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #535 of 1,055

Quote:
How much is the clock upgrade you're using in the Mini-i and where is it available?

The Bravo is a Firestone/Fubar product that goes for $167 and their optional Suppier upgraded PSU I am using with it goes for $117 so I've got around $300 into it with shipping from Audiophile Products in Canada. It's twice as much as you would pay for a M2Tech HiFace and about $200 less than a Halide Bridge. The upper end with this kind of device is represented by the Sonicweld Diverter, and there are a few other USB/s-pdif converter/re-clockers out there.

I find the Bravo to have a very good price/performance point (with and without the Supplier, like the HiFace with and without the power mod options), like the Mini-i itself. From my research, with all of the models I have mentioned you get what you pay for.

One great advantage of upgrading your USB to s/pdif is the ability to get bit-perfect Redbook 44.1kHz which I don't get on the Mini-i with straight USB or Toslink, the sampling rate is always upconverted to 48kHz.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #536 of 1,055
@grokit

I don't know why but I either forgot you lived in Canada or never noticed.

Thanks for taking the time to give me  a detailed reply. I thought the product you mentioned was just a clock for the Mini as it doesn't come up without "Firestone" entered into Google.

I use an M-Audio audiophile USB into the BNC/RCA connection on the Matrix so I can listen to hi-res natively with the M-Audio ASIO drivers and MediaMonkey. I've been trying J-River Media Center but it's a resource hog on my old Pentium 4 machine. I want to get a newer appropriately quiet computer for improved SQ but it's pretty good as it is used with balanced 650s and the MKVII+. I've gotten a little tired of listening for perfection so am just enjoying things as they are for now as I could certainly do worse :wink:

Cheers

Quote:
One great advantage of upgrading your USB to s/pdif is the ability to get bit-perfect Redbook 44.1kHz which I don't get on the Mini-i with straight USB or Toslink, the sampling rate is always upconverted to 48kHz.

That's odd as my Matrix indicates 44.1 when fed redbook via USB with foobar, MediaMonkey or J-river studio. What software player do you use? It also indicates 44.1 with optical and a CD player (which sounds very good).

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #537 of 1,055

Quote:
@Hellenback Thanks alot for the feedback, yea as It's virtually impossible for me to even compare these two in real life, reviews and personal opinions are great for me to sum up. I've not even considered the DacMagic, looks like a very sturdy and well built unit at pretty much the same price, my only problem is I won't be able to afford a seperate amp right now so I'll just be stuck with a DAC and my dt880s
frown.gif
Do you think it's worth getting the Matrix and using the built in amp for the time being, see if I'm satisfied with the sound sig etc, and then in the future buy a seperate amp - Maybe the Little Dot MKIV?....OR save up and buy the DacMagic and a seperate amp at the same time?
biggrin.gif
It's just money that's limiting me atm, buying all the families Christmas presents 'n all
cool.gif

The Matrix amp is certainly decent for what is primarily IMO an excellent value DAC. If I hadn't already purchased an MKVII+ I likely would have used just the Matrix for awhile at the very least. I also listened to the Matrix paired with their M-Stage and was very pleasantly surprised at the SQ for the cost. You could get that set-up for about the coast of the DacMagic (at least here in Canada). I found the Cambridge to be no better than the Matrix with the "filtering" being near useless in practical application. I also don't like how it upsamples everything and won't accept native 24-192 audio files over sp-dif.The extra money new could almost get you the M-stage as well if you didn't want to go balanced right now.
The benefits of a balanced set-up have been very hard to give up (even when I could have used the money from selling it). It seems I could never really get the best of the 650s without it. There might be some placebo at play here (re the increased volume) but I really do think the extra headroom and very quiet background with a balanced set-up is worth the re-termination of a cable or two. I can't think of a $400 amp that could hold a candle to the MKVII+ in balanced mode with just the stock Matrix. Even with the upgrades to the Matrix I have a hard time believing it would sound better as a single ended amp but I guess I'd need to here it to be certain.

I've heard DT880s and do think that they would benefit from the warmer sounding Matrix. The Cambridge can be bright even with darker sounding cans. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how the Matrix' amp sounds but don't know what you've heard or are ultimately aiming at spending.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #538 of 1,055
Hellenback I am not in Canada but those guys have pretty US-friendly shipping and the entire line of products, I think they are set up to cover North America. I'm pretty sure that all of the external clocks available out there are also usb/spdif converters so it frees up the USB input on your Mini for another device. I use a Mac most of the time and when I am playing music from Windows I use a Toslink connection, I am not even utilizing the USB input ATM.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #539 of 1,055

Quote:
Hellenback I am not in Canada but those guys have pretty US-friendly shipping and the entire line of products, I think they are set up to cover North America. I'm pretty sure that all of the external clocks available out there are also usb/spdif converters so it frees up the USB input on your Mini for another device. I use a Mac most of the time and when I am playing music from Windows I use a Toslink connection, I am not even utilizing the USB input ATM.

Sorry, I saw the "North" in yout location and assumed. FWIW I don't use the usb connection on the Mini-i, I use the BNC/RCA in (from the M-audio device which does the usb/spdif conversion). I just checked the Mini-i indicator for what it read via USB.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #540 of 1,055
Quick question.

I have the Matrix and its a fabulous product. Love the sound. One small issue is the click/plop/brom sound it makes when turned on and off. Is this just my Matrix or do you experience the same sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back