Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Sep 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #407 of 1,055
anyone has compare it to another DAC to pair with K701? (note: I already has an amp, so what I'm looking for now is only DAC sub $400)

btw, at headfonia's review, said that mini-i has good musical sounding and adding body to mid and low, that's what make me interesting about this Mini-i.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #408 of 1,055
Hi Guys,

How does the Matrix Mini-I as a DAC compare to the Musiland Monitor 02 & Essence ST (pure sound quality only)?

Basically I'm wanting to get the best source around this price range (willing to spend more for the Mini-I if it offers the best SQ)!

Going to connect it to a Matrix M-Stage (for headphones) + Swans T200B speakers (XLR balanced).

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #409 of 1,055

Quote:
Hi Guys,

How does the Matrix Mini-I as a DAC compare to the Musiland Monitor 02 & Essence ST (pure sound quality only)?

Basically I'm wanting to get the best source around this price range (willing to spend more for the Mini-I if it offers the best SQ)!

Going to connect it to a Matrix M-Stage (for headphones) + Swans T200B speakers (XLR balanced).

If you're running anything balanced I can't see how the other DACs you've mentioned would compete with the Matrix Mini-i as it's the only balanced source. Also, it uses the same chip as the Cambridge 840-C CD player which is very highly regarded and fairly expensive at > $1000

Others use some of the Monitor line of products for 24/192 usb->spdif conversion.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #410 of 1,055
How about unbalanced via RCA out (as this is how my headphone setup will be connected)?

Quote:

If you're running anything balanced I can't see how the other DACs you've mentioned would compete with the Matrix Mini-i as it's the only balanced source. Also, it uses the same chip as the Cambridge 840-C CD player which is very highly regarded and fairly expensive at > $1000

Others use some of the Monitor line of products for 24/192 usb->spdif conversion.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #411 of 1,055
Just received my Matrix Mini-i and WOW!.....this is an exceptional little DAC. Running a balanced pair of Senn 650s, single ended AKG-240 (MKIIs) and coax out to the stereo....talk about convenient for anything. I'd have gladly paid what it cost just for the DAC section of this little powerhouse.

Took a quick listen to the headphone out and it's a real headphone amp, not just an afterthought. If I didn't already have the MKVII+ I'd listen to this on it's own for awhile....problem is the balanced out to the MKVII+ sounds too good to go unused for long
L3000.gif

I'm going to give it a few days and see how it settles in before saying too much, but right out of the box it's already very easy on the ears. Another member/friend and I are going to put the LD DAC_I, the Matrix Mini-i and the DacMagic up against each other as soon as we can get together. I'll be sure to post impressions when it happens...likely in the next week or two.

Gotta go listen to some music!

@sunneebear...thanks for the heads up on this one.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #412 of 1,055

Quote:
Just received my Matrix Mini-i and WOW!.....this is an exceptional little DAC. Running a balanced pair of Senn 650s, single ended AKG-240 (MKIIs) and coax out to the stereo....talk about convenient for anything. I'd have gladly paid what it cost just for the DAC section of this little powerhouse.

Took a quick listen to the headphone out and it's a real headphone amp, not just an afterthought. If I didn't already have the MKVII+ I'd listen to this on it's own for awhile....problem is the balanced out to the MKVII+ sounds too good to go unused for long
L3000.gif

I'm going to give it a few days and see how it settles in before saying too much, but right out of the box it's already very easy on the ears. Another member/friend and I are going to put the LD DAC_I, the Matrix Mini-i and the DacMagic up against each other as soon as we can get together. I'll be sure to post impressions when it happens...likely in the next week or two.

Gotta go listen to some music!

@sunneebear...thanks for the heads up on this one.

Interesting impressions. Are you saying that you ran your balanced HD650 right out of the back of the Mini-i?
Anyways looking forward to the results of your three-way balanced DAC shootout
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #413 of 1,055

Quote:
Another member/friend and I are going to put the LD DAC_I, the Matrix Mini-i and the DacMagic up against each other as soon as we can get together. I'll be sure to post impressions when it happens...likely in the next week or two.

Looking forward to hearing the comparo. 

Can you give more of your impressions as to how the headphone jack is? I'm thinking of running HD650s unbalanced, but deciding between the Matrix Mini or the Cube. I emailed the seller and he said that the cube's headphone is slightly more powerful. Dilemma...both cost the same! haha.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #414 of 1,055

Quote:

Interesting impressions. Are you saying that you ran your balanced HD650 right out of the back of the Mini-i?
Anyways looking forward to the results of your three-way balanced DAC shootout
popcorn.gif

Sorry for not being more clear. I mentioned earlier that I already had a Little Dot MKVII+ waiting for the DAC I would choose to use with it. I chose the Matrix because of reviews, price and the fact that it has a headphone amp I can take into the other room when needed.

The headphone amp in the Matrix pairs much better with the Senn 650s than the amp in the Little Dot DAC_I I.  I can't comment on the M-Stage but if you anticipate ever balancing your headphones the Matrix's amp is certainly better than expected and I'm very happy listening to it on it's own. After hearing it I can't imagine myself buying just an amp for the same price. I am truly surprised at the quality of the headphone amp in the Matrix.

When connected as a DAC only (balanced) to the  MKVII+ the combination is exceptional. If there are further improvements in SQ after the "burn in" I'm really looking forward to hearing them as I'm more than happy with it as it sounds now. I asked that it be tested before being sent so perhaps they put a few hours on it already (it wasn't shipped until a few days after I paid for it) . I'll post if/when I hear any improvements in SQ.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #415 of 1,055
Well you have given me an idea, I will try my HD600 with a dual XLR cable out of the back of the Mini-i sometime. It has great synergy from the SE jack in front, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #416 of 1,055

Quote:
Well you have given me an idea, I will try my HD600 with a dual XLR cable out of the back of the Mini-i sometime. It has great synergy from the SE jack in front, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I can't imagine why that would work as the output would be too low. The Matrix's headphone out comes from an internal amplifier which I doubt is engaged through the XLR connections.. Sorry if I inadvertently gave you the wrong impression.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #417 of 1,055

Quote:
I can't imagine why that would work as the output would be too low. The Matrix's headphone out comes from an internal amplifier which I doubt is engaged through the XLR connections.. Sorry if I inadvertently gave you the wrong impression.

But when in amp mode the volume control actually controls the levels on the XLR/RCAs as well as the HP out, so it may work but I see your point that it may just be an attenuated line out 
blink.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #419 of 1,055
Has anyone compared this to the Beresford?  I wish I saw this thread 4 months ago.  Seems like the perfect DAC for me, as I have a pair of Mackie powered monitors which I love dearly. 

Anyone think this would be a step up from the Beresford?  And is balanced an advantage for speakers?  Seems like it would be, and the mackies have XLR inputs, so it would be prettttty easy. 

Grokit, it looks like you use this for your speakers.  Do you find it convenient?  Nice thing about the Beresford is that one output is always fixed, and one is always variable, so there's no switching back and forth.  I'm not sure I like the idea of having to go into the menus to change it, and if it is on DAC mode by accident it could ruin the speakers.  Seems like that happened to someone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back