Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Mar 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #168 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKVII+ is the only one I know of that is affordable and kicks arse. For $379 and the kind of power it has, hard to beat.

I think I'm going to go on a shopping spree and buy the Matrix and MKVII+ all in one go.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #170 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopQuark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Confirmed it uses OP275 and OPA2134 (1 each channel)

So it uses 4 op amps?

Here you go. There are 3 OP275's and 2 OPA2134's.

matrixdac.jpg

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #171 of 1,055
OK, got the M2Tech Hiface BNC, using 2ft bluejeanscable bnc cable, initial impressions are the sound is clearer and a touch more depth, i suppose in audio changes are small, but any improvement is welcome. If anything, it's just nice to be able to send hires audio from the laptop beyond 48hz.

However, I haven't really had a lot of time to do a real good A/B comparison to break down the nitty gritty, but eitherway, def. worth it IMO.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #173 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm confused..

so you got the m2tech to use with the mini, instead of using the mini's USB?

and your saying it's definitely worthy upgrade?

The m2tech hiface allows the Matrix to receive 24/192 input, otherwise using just the usb is much less. It may not be a big difference to the ears, but a difference is still a difference.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #174 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The m2tech hiface allows the Matrix to receive 24/192 input, otherwise using just the usb is much less. It may not be a big difference to the ears, but a difference is still a difference.

It's most important that you have >48 source material, like the HDTracks files.

I think there needs to be more comparisons between the Little Dot VII+ / Matrix mini-i combo and singled ended $700-$800 systems.
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #175 of 1,055
If I were looking to get a good SS system to last me ages, would the LD DAC_I and MKVII+ or Matrix Mini-I and MKVII+ be the better option? Peope seem to love both, but which really is the better combo? I know it is all very subjective, but an idea, at least will help
biggrin.gif
Thanks.

Mar 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #176 of 1,055
I have the Matrix, and I have read that it is the smoother of the two; the LD being more analytical. Haven't heard the LD, but I've never read anything bad about it. The Matrix is indeed smooth. I would say you can't go wrong either way, so you might as well get the matching set
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #178 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea, to me it just makes the matrix do what it does but just a bit better. The soundstage was probably the biggest difference I can hear now through my loudspeakers. It was harder to pick that up with the headphones, but the soundstage is def. improved. It's the lower jitter I think that helps it to just produce that tad cleaner sound and improved soundstage.

Overall the differences are small IMO, however, they are noticable enough for me to not return it. A 5% increase in resolution in clarity is amazing for a DAC that is already as clean as it is via USB.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #179 of 1,055
Ah yes. So if I want to hear more details in my music etc, the DAC_I it is. It would be a wonderful match with my DT880 600ohm that should be arriving over the next few days. But since I listen to metal, maybe detailed isn't the best idea
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #180 of 1,055
I'm trying to decide if the extra $100 for the Matrix is worth it over the Maverick TubeMagic D1. This would be implemented into my home theater/family room system for late-night listening which is the reason I'm looking for a DAC/Amp combo.

It would be used with a pair of Sennheiser 580s mainly, my reference setup is a pair of 701s with a Benchmark DAC1.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back