Matrix 24/192 Balanced DAC
Oct 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #46 of 67
If you want it small and your focus is on the DAC -> Matrix Mini-i
If size doesn't matter and you want a balance between DAC and headamp -> Compass

I don't own the Compass or the Matrix Mini-i ... my conclusion is based solely on the reviews here at headfi.

best regards,
bearmann

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #47 of 67
Have a look at this
smily_headphones1.gif

Affordable$$Audio :: Issues

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonho_rp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here tried to connect headphones directly in the balanced XLR outputs directly instead of the headphone out ?
Like a balanced HD650 for instance.

The volume knob does control those balanced outputs...

I would like to know if that works as well
L3000.gif
!

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonho_rp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here tried to connect headphones directly in the balanced XLR outputs directly instead of the headphone out ?
Like a balanced HD650 for instance.

It may work, but I wonder how the input/output impedance of the XLR outputs on the matrix would come into play here. Since those outputs were designed to go into an amplifier, it may not jive with high impedance cans like the 650. Maybe someone else can chime in here and let us know....

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #54 of 67
So to use this as a balanced DAC feeding a balanced AMP, do you just turn the volume all the way up? Or should the volume be set to something different to achieve the correct output to the AMP?

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #58 of 67

Quote:
so the dual 3 pin dont work as headphone out?

No, that's the balanced line out. The headphone amp section of the Mini-i is single-ended.

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #60 of 67
Just received my Matrix mini to use with the LD MKVII+. Right out of the box I'm very impressed and looking forward to any improvement that burn in brings. Really, really happy with this for the price and would have paid more now that I've heard it. This set-up is a tough act to beat for the money (and more, as mentioned) and I doubt I'll be wanting anything else for quite some time. This sounds at least as good as the LD DAC_I from memory. Looking forward to a shoot-out at a friend's place with this Matrix -Mini, the LD DAC_I and the Dac Magic. I'm going to give it a good bit of time to make it as fair a comparison as possible....stay tuned
atsmile.gif

I want to thank sunneebear for the advice re: this little DAC. It's one of the best audio purchases I've made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back