Matrix 24/192 Balanced DAC
Sep 26, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #31 of 67
coolfungadget --

does the digital output mean that you get "pass thru" S/PDIF at a sampling rate matching the input, no matter what the input format is?

So that it's a 44.1 and 48 USB-to-S/PDIF converter, and a TOSLink-to-RCA physical converter (both are S/PDIF of course), and a AES-to-S/PDIF converter (not much to convert, but still!) as well as a DAC? (And a BNC-to-RCA converter too, ha ha!).

Neat.

Also, a "-" covers a lot of sins in the SR spec, so let me ask specifically: does it handle 88.2 and 176.4 -- very important for those of us who rip SACDs.

Finally -- for those of us who download hi res files, any plans to increase the USB to handle 96 and/or 192 (and 88.2 and 176.4).

I understand that audio standards might not officially sanction all of this, but I can ask, no?

Sep 27, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coolfungadget --

does the digital output mean that you get "pass thru" S/PDIF at a sampling rate matching the input, no matter what the input format is?

Yes, it "pass through" everything.

Quote:

So that it's a 44.1 and 48 USB-to-S/PDIF converter, and a TOSLink-to-RCA physical converter (both are S/PDIF of course), and a AES-to-S/PDIF converter (not much to convert, but still!) as well as a DAC? (And a BNC-to-RCA converter too, ha ha!).

Neat.

I guess so
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Also, a "-" covers a lot of sins in the SR spec, so let me ask specifically: does it handle 88.2 and 176.4 -- very important for those of us who rip SACDs.

All supported!

Quote:

Finally -- for those of us who download hi res files, any plans to increase the USB to handle 96 and/or 192 (and 88.2 and 176.4).

I understand that audio standards might not officially sanction all of this, but I can ask, no?

Not sure...But you may buy an extra USB->S/PDIF converter such as the Musiland Monitor 01 USD to support 24/192 excellently as a interim solution for only $74.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #34 of 67
Thank you for the answers! As soon as the wife is not looking I will buy one.

And I already have a fine USB-to-S/PDIF converter so I'm not worried ... was just asking.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #35 of 67
Interesting looking device. Front panel reminds me of Bel Canto and back panel reminds me of Benchmark DAC1. Waiting for impressions...

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting looking device. Front panel reminds me of Bel Canto and back panel reminds me of Benchmark DAC1. Waiting for impressions...

sunneebear, you were the first to receive this wonderful piece of equipment. The review is in your hands.
biggrin.gif

Jeffrey (coolfungadget),

Where is my new Matrix Mini-i II?

You know, the one with four outputs (two balanced, two unbalanced)..
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sunneebear, you were the first to receive this wonderful piece of equipment. The review is in your hands.
biggrin.gif

Jeffrey (coolfungadget),

Where is my new Matrix Mini-i II?

You know, the one with four outputs (two balanced, two unbalanced)..
biggrin.gif

Sorry HeatFan12, there is no II. But we are in the progress of designing a Mini-i 'mini'
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #38 of 67
can this DAC straight up replace a sound card with PC as source?( have an integrated and need to upgrade - hopefully this is EVEN better than a sound card ) I want one but it's really expensive compared to a PC sound card xD - seems really versatile though.

aren't all DACs balanced...? or is there some special implementation?

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Well I'm not much of a reviewer. All I can say is that the sound signature is to my taste and I've sold my two favorite amps and kept the Mini-i. It is very versatile and best of all, cheaper that anything on the market right now that has similar features.

Heatfan, with the other amps and Dacs you that you own and you still like the Mini-i, I think that says a lot for the product.

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #41 of 67
When I'll receive (maybe next week) my mini matrix i'll take it to the lab and then on the listening test in my and my friends systems. Probably I'll compare Matrix with Stello DA 100 signature in rather expensive system (Acoustic Arts, ModWright, Sovereign)
20090729soundclub029.jpg

or
20090901soundclub010.jpg

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm not much of a reviewer. All I can say is that the sound signature is to my taste and I've sold my two favorite amps and kept the Mini-i. It is very versatile and best of all, cheaper that anything on the market right now that has similar features.

Heatfan, with the other amps and Dacs you that you own and you still like the Mini-i, I think that says a lot for the product.

Hey sunneebear

Absolutely right...I love this DAC...Total package...I find myself just listening via the headphone out a lot, even though I have two tube amps connected to it...Great piece of gear and like you said versatile...Nice smooth sound...

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #44 of 67
Hi,
I'm in for a new DAC because my Zero died recently. So, now I'm looking for a more durable one (and at the same time trying to improve in SQ terms, to make the best out of this miserable situation
smile.gif
)...

So, how does the Mini-i compares with "our" Compass?

Off course the looks and the AD1955s chips are very cool "features", but to me - as a noob - the internals of the Compass seem to have a higher build-quality.
Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back