Matrix 24/192 Balanced DAC
Sep 1, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #17 of 67
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mat...hp-amp-441960/

sunneebear received his and I have been running mine in for the last five days or so. Very happy with the sound. Been trying the headphone out mostly, have not connected any amp yet. Headphone out is very good. Has a tad of warmth, sounds almost hybrid-like.
Going to try several amps in the coming days, but so far I am very pleased.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 67
jtam,

It has a digital pot not analog one.
1. I wonder if this makes the Mini-i any cleaner?
2. With the headphone ON, the Mini-i functions as a pre-amp.
3. In this mode, is the digital pot better in a sense of connecting to a outboard headphone amp that does not have a pot? (Similar to a speaker power amp).
If I build a headphone amp without a pot, would it not be "cleaner" to use the Mini-i as a pre-amp?

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jtam,

It has a digital pot not analog one.
1. I wonder if this makes the Mini-i any cleaner?

Yes, comparing to a analog pot installed on the same place.

Quote:

2. With the headphone ON, the Mini-i functions as a pre-amp.

Yes.

Quote:

3. In this mode, is the digital pot better in a sense of connecting to a outboard headphone amp that does not have a pot? (Similar to a speaker power amp).
If I build a headphone amp without a pot, would it not be "cleaner" to use the Mini-i as a pre-amp?

Less pots, less distortion. I guess the answer is yes here.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the cost of $350 Buy it now, I don't think there is any competition with those brands.

Certainly not in the realm of American made, and designed goods.

It does look good, I wonder the quality of the pcb and circuit.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #24 of 67
I have to say they look a lot nicer than most of the "uses the right ICs but built like dogshi*" products from China. I can't tell from the pictures the quality of the pcb thou, the solder points are better than the norm for China thou. Are you the OEM or the reseller coolfungadget?

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say they look a lot nicer than most of the "uses the right ICs but built like dogshi*" products from China. I can't tell from the pictures the quality of the pcb thou, the solder points are better than the norm for China thou. Are you the OEM or the reseller coolfungadget?

I am the exclusive reseller on eBay for this brand.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 67
Forgive my ignorance, bu the Headphone out is Single ended? Not Balanced ? so if I want "Balanced" i'll need to get a seperate balanced amp? I'm at work and cannot access eBay and the Pics of the front of the until in the thread are a bit dark, but I only see one 6.3 headphone out.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 67
How does this compare to the Little Dot DAC1 which also has balanced output, using the same D/A as the DacMagic and uses the WM8804 receiver with ultra low 50ps jitter. A duel crystallizer reclock for a jitter free signal. LM4562/LME49720/LME4910 used for it's ultra low distortion.

I'd be interested to find out what digital receiver this Matrix uses. Hmm, if I was to move to a low budget DAC with balanced output, might still lean towards the DAC1 just from reading or just jump for the DacMagic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back