Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Dec 3, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #481 of 624
I love mine and I do not listen to hiphop or EDM. I mostly listen to singer songwriters, blues, classical, ambient, indi, acoustic, folk, folk rock, alterative, classic rock, classical, some jazz, world music.... pretty much everything except EDM and Hip Hop.

Because I hate clamp, I have gradually and gently stretched mine to have less clamp. I do find if I press the harder against my ears, I do get the sound more like you describe. Sounds better to me the way I am wearing mine now and I do not find a lack of treble. Yes, there is good bass but it does not overpower for me. Actually I think if I was listening to something like EDM it might be overpowering for me because the music is.

Loosening the clamp does mean I can't shake my head around with them on...

Mine are well burned in now but I can't say if that made a difference.
Good to know. I don't think they sound bad, but they aren't as analytical as others I have. I'll see how the sound changes as I get the fitment right, I've really only used them for about an hour or two. For $200, these are pretty good, for $400 I would have been disappointed.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #482 of 624
Good to know. I don't think they sound bad, but they aren't as analytical as others I have. I'll see how the sound changes as I get the fitment right, I've really only used them for about an hour or two. For $200, these are pretty good, for $400 I would have been disappointed.

I guess I am more about listening to and enjoying my music, not analyzing it. I also believe that I adjust to different sound signatures easily. Why else would I have so much (too much) gear? It is not that I have been dissatisfied or disappointed... I just get curious about trying different things. I could have quit ages ago:) I would have more room in my house!

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #483 of 624
I also picked up a set from Amazon, just got them yesterday. Here are initial impressions

Build Quality
These are by far the highest quality heapdhones I own, they ooze quality, everything is leather or metal. Feels great on my head and they look fantastic.

Sound Quality
A little is left to be desired, they are no where near as good as my HD6XX and quite frankly I don't think they're as good as my M50x. These are very bass forward and lack trebles. These would do great for modern music, like pop, hip hop and EDM. Wouldn't recommend these for people who like classical or even classic rock.

I’d give your MH40 at least a 100 hours of playtime to open up in the trebles. I agree with your initial impression about the top end sounding closed down, even muted, but I noticed this improved with more playtime.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #484 of 624
Yeah, the MH40 aren't really in competition with the M50X, which are studio monitors. The MH40 are consumer-targeted headphones intended for enjoying music. :D

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #485 of 624
I went in and adjusted the EQ and find there to be a significant difference as far as my enjoyment goes.

Can anybody speak as to how these compare to the Meze 99 classics?

6gHAl6Z.png

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #487 of 624
They really do need some major hours to fully open up, and they really benefit from a good amplifier, in my view.

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #488 of 624
My dog chewed the 2m cable, so I have to use the remote cable which I don’t like. If anyone is not using their 2m cable and wants to make some money, please message me.

M&D does not have any in stock and does not know when they’ll have them again.

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #489 of 624
I really like the sound of these headphones, but they are easily my most uncomfortable headphones in my collection. I did, gently, bend out the headband since the MH40 was clamping on my ears with too much force. The remaining issue are the earpads, I find them itchy which keeps my listening sessions down to an hour at best.

M&H has a model that uses alcantara(?) pads, but they’re not listed as separately available on its website; I hope that changes soon.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #490 of 624
I really like the sound of these headphones, but they are easily my most uncomfortable headphones in my collection. I did, gently, bend out the headband since the MH40 was clamping on my ears with too much force. The remaining issue are the earpads, I find them itchy which keeps my listening sessions down to an hour at best.

M&H has a model that uses alcantara(?) pads, but they’re not listed as separately available on its website; I hope that changes soon.
They havent been listed for most of this year which makes me think the alcantara pads (and the MH40 alcanatara version) may have been phased out.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #491 of 624
They havent been listed for most of this year which makes me think the alcantara pads (and the MH40 alcanatara version) may have been phased out.

Hope not. I’m going to send them an email ...

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #492 of 624
Hello, I am highly interested by this headphone since a while and have a few questions :

- Do they leak a lot? Because i am a student in university and I am often in libraries. This aspect is quite important to my eyes

-Also, do they isolate well? I use sometimes public transports (tram most of the time), and in overall I only require a decent isolation, i am not looking for the best

-Is 300€ the standard price in Europe, according to M&D official website? Is it a good price or maybe better to wait for a discount?

-Has anyone tried the lightning cable by M&D? Would it make a difference comparing to the official Apple adapter? I have an Iphone 7

-Do they work well without an amp straight from a smartphone?

For my current set I have an Iphone 7 (with Spotify Premium) and a Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0 (Aka Senn "M2")

Thank you from Belgium :beyersmile:

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #493 of 624
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #494 of 624
Hello, I am highly interested by this headphone since a while and have a few questions :

- Do they leak a lot? Because i am a student in university and I am often in libraries. This aspect is quite important to my eyes

-Also, do they isolate well? I use sometimes public transports (tram most of the time), and in overall I only require a decent isolation, i am not looking for the best

-Is 300€ the standard price in Europe, according to M&D official website? Is it a good price or maybe better to wait for a discount?

-Has anyone tried the lightning cable by M&D? Would it make a difference comparing to the official Apple adapter? I have an Iphone 7

For my current set I have an Iphone 7 (with Spotify Premium) and a Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0 (Aka Senn "M2")

These headphones do leak a little, but not that much, i would say it's about what you would expect from closed back headphones.

Isolation is good, but not fantastic.

I purchased these headphones from Amazon for $200 USD new. I would not pay 300 Euros for these.

Have not.

Just my 2 cents, I bought these headphones and ended up returning them with no regrets. They are without a doubt the highest build quality headphones I've ever put in my hands, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the sound signature and these headphones not the most comfortable. I ended up with Meze 99 classics, In my opinion they are a better headphone, they are also based in Europe so you might be able to get a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back