Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #512 of 624
I was also interested by the Meze 99 Classics but from what I've read, the MH40 seems more efficient without amp than the Meze. And I am not planning at the moment to buy an amp
I have the MH40s. The clamp force around the ear/jaw took some getting used to for me. I would say isolation is good. Sound wise it depends on what you like in a headphone. Your Momentums ( I have the On Ear and have heard a few times the Over ear) is probably a leaner sound (less Bass). A lot of the "Fashion Cans" have more Bass to appeal to a wide range of people and because of the competing outside sounds. The headphones can be quite heavy on the head. They can slide right off if you look down as well. When I first got them I bent down (looking downward) to tie my shoe and they fell off with one of the ear pads flying off (they magnetically stay in place with little bumps/grooves you match up so it doesn't slide around). They are very efficient. Most fashion cans are. I also have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and the MassDrop Plus IEMs. I use all three pretty regularly. They each have their place for me. I would probably keep the Momentums and not get the MH40 if I was you. Maybe get an IEM if you want really good isolation. Hope this helps.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #513 of 624
I have the MH40s. The clamp force around the ear/jaw took some getting used to for me. I would say isolation is good. Sound wise it depends on what you like in a headphone. Your Momentums ( I have the On Ear and have heard a few times the Over ear) is probably a leaner sound (less Bass). A lot of the "Fashion Cans" have more Bass to appeal to a wide range of people and because of the competing outside sounds. The headphones can be quite heavy on the head. They can slide right off if you look down as well. When I first got them I bent down (looking downward) to tie my shoe and they fell off with one of the ear pads flying off (they magnetically stay in place with little bumps/grooves you match up so it doesn't slide around). They are very efficient. Most fashion cans are. I also have the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and the MassDrop Plus IEMs. I use all three pretty regularly. They each have their place for me. I would probably keep the Momentums and not get the MH40 if I was you. Maybe get an IEM if you want really good isolation. Hope this helps.

I was able to bend out the headband so it didn’t fit so tight on my ears, but by doing this they slid off my head easier. I also feel the swivel of the ear cups are too loose, it would have been better to have greater resistance so they don’t flop around when putting them on or taking them off.

I was hoping the Alcantara pads were going to be available for purchase, and I’ve sent two messages to MD with no reply. I’ll try calling them tomorrow. If the Alcantara is available, the fit may end up being more comfortable and less prone to slippage than the smooth leather pads.

I do like the sound of the MH40 a lot. The bass performance is surprising.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #514 of 624
The special price I saw on a french webstore (Son-vidéo.com) is almost finished, and the colors I wanted are no longer available...

After doing a lot of researches, I've decided to get a Audeze Sine with Cipher cable (less than 250€ in second hand)

The Meze would have "forced" me to buy a portable DAC to get its full potential IMO, especially in the bass sector.

The MH40 doesn't look like an upgrade comparing to my Sennheiser Momentum Over 2.0, in term of sound's quality.

The Sine is a class above the M2 and the MH40 in sound's quality, and also superior to the Meze while conserving a musical signature and bringing planar magnetic advantages. The Cipher cable will act as a DAC/DSP/AMP perfectly, with the portable factor of the Sine I might have found what I was looking for. Comfort wise, I can change pads by over-ear models, since the Audeze is by default on-ear.

If one day I find the MH40 at an interesting price I still would be very glad to try it.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #515 of 624
I was able to bend out the headband so it didn’t fit so tight on my ears, but by doing this they slid off my head easier. I also feel the swivel of the ear cups are too loose, it would have been better to have greater resistance so they don’t flop around when putting them on or taking them off.

I was hoping the Alcantara pads were going to be available for purchase, and I’ve sent two messages to MD with no reply. I’ll try calling them tomorrow. If the Alcantara is available, the fit may end up being more comfortable and less prone to slippage than the smooth leather pads.

I do like the sound of the MH40 a lot. The bass performance is surprising.

I reached out to M&D this morning and spoke to Michael. I asked about the Alcantara pads, and there is a plan in the works to make these pads available separately at the same price as all the other pad options, $49. Michael told me that M&D is fleshing out its accessory offerings to a greater extent, and to expect this to happen in the first half of this year, possibly in the first quarter.

I also asked whether the MH40 is being updated since they were so heavily discounted during the holidays (I was able to buy a brand new gun metal version for $199 from an authorized dealer). Michael responded by saying there were no plans on the horizon for an update, and if and when it were to happen, it would likely be a whole new headphone, not a Series 2.

If anyone has any other questions, Michael encouraged them to send a message via their contact page, and that they try to return messages within 24 hours.

Can’t wait for the Alcantara pads and 2m non-remote cables to be available for purchase ... :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #516 of 624
I reached out to M&D this morning and spoke to Michael. I asked about the Alcantara pads, and there is a plan in the works to make these pads available separately at the same price as all the other pad options, $49. Michael told me that M&D is fleshing out its accessory offers to a greater extent, and to expect this to happen in the first half of this year, possibly in the first quarter.

I also asked whether the MH40 is being updated since they were so heavily discounted during the holidays (I was able to buy a brand new gun metal version for $199 from an authorized dealer). Michael responded by saying there were no plans on the horizon for an update, and if and when it were to happen, it would likely be a whole new headphone, not a Series 2.

If anyone has any other questions, Michael encouraged them to send a message via their contact page, and that they try to return messages within 24 hours.

Can’t wait for the Alcantara pads and 2m non-remote cables to be available for purchase ... :L3000:
Nice. Thanks for the update on the accessories.

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #517 of 624
I've finally bought the MH40 after weeks and weeks of reflexion and hesitation with the Audeze Sine (with Cipher cable). I am going to use a lot my MacbookPro for my studies (Master in law) during the next months and next year, and not that much my iPhone.

Comparing to my previous Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0, the MH40 "erases" some of the negative aspects I had spotted on the Senn :

- alcantara inside the pads of the M&D, comparing to the Senn with its all leather pads who caused heat pretty quickly
- more sub-bass on very bassy tracks, which i prefer. I've found the Senn a bit too light in quantity on some tracks but I do not consider myself as a basshead
- mids are less recessed than the M2 and I love the presentation of vocals and string instruments

I've bought it at the price of 270€, it's not so amazing comparing to US best price but for european price, I guess it's OK.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #518 of 624
I've finally bought the MH40 after weeks and weeks of reflexion and hesitation with the Audeze Sine (with Cipher cable). I am going to use a lot my MacbookPro for my studies (Master in law) during the next months and next year, and not that much my iPhone.

Comparing to my previous Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0, the MH40 "erases" some of the negative aspects I had spotted on the Senn :

- alcantara inside the pads of the M&D, comparing to the Senn with its all leather pads who caused heat pretty quickly
- more sub-bass on very bassy tracks, which i prefer. I've found the Senn a bit too light in quantity on some tracks but I do not consider myself as a basshead
- mids are less recessed than the M2 and I love the presentation of vocals and string instruments

I've bought it at the price of 270€, it's not so amazing comparing to US best price but for european price, I guess it's OK.

Do you find with the Alcantara pads there’s no slippage of the MH40 when moving your head, especially forward or backward? Mine with the leather pads has this issue.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #520 of 624
In fact I have the classic gunmetal (leather) and not the alcantara version

What I meant is the inside seems to be made of tissu and not leather so the heat is less problematic than the M2

I have the gunmetal as well. I had to bend out the headband because the MH40 fit so tight, so now when I move my head forward or backward, it slips a bit due to the heaviness of the metal design and slipperiness of the leather pads. I’m hoping the Alcantara pads will help with this. I spoke to MD and they plan on selling the Alcantara pads separately sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #521 of 624
I think I have a small head because the MH40 are definitely not tight on my head -- I kind of wish they did fit a wee bit tighter. As it is, I don't have the sides extended up at all and I want to make them just a wee bit smaller to fit more securely on my head. Also, I sense they could use a tiny bit more clamping to get a little better seal. But, they are quite comfortable to me and they sound good -- and look stunning.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #522 of 624
I think I have a small head because the MH40 are definitely not tight on my head -- I kind of wish they did fit a wee bit tighter. As it is, I don't have the sides extended up at all and I want to make them just a wee bit smaller to fit more securely on my head. Also, I sense they could use a tiny bit more clamping to get a little better seal. But, they are quite comfortable to me and they sound good -- and look stunning.

You can bend the headband inward to tighten up the fit. You’ll have to use a bit of muscle, but that will take care of your problem. My hat size is 7¾, so I had to do the opposite.

Feb 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #523 of 624
I have a small head and I am using mine at almost maximum extension to avoid excessive clamping. If the headband naturally gets softer, I would simply have to ajust the settings and increase the clamping to compensate.

Mar 2, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #524 of 624

How did the MH40 compare to the Audeze Sine (Were they closed or open)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back