Master Clock Talk
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,081 of 3,397
I just pulled the trigger and have a A26 incoming :relaxed:. Do you have an advice on any other Clocks next to the Mutec (I do like it, but outside of what I am willing to pay).

From my research I have a compiled a short list (I am open to additions) but specs are not all clear to me
-Cybershaft -> they are really clear in stating the Phase Noise and Allen Deviation values and their Clocks seem to perform well
-Gustard C18. On top of the range but the Phase Noise and Allen Deviation look much lower (worse) than what one can but from Cuybershaft for the same price (am I interpreting their data right)
-LHY OCK-2. Much friendlier price wise and there seem to be some hype around it. However its specs on Phase Noise and Allen Devation are not clear to me.
-TEAC CG-10M, same as LHY OCK-2, specs are not clear to me and internal build looks less impressive compared to LHY.

Many thanks in advance for your info.
I have both the LHY OCK clocks. beside the Mutec. The OCK-2 is a very good master clock for the money. I haven't tested the OCK-2 with the A26. The OCK-2 does an excellent job providing the R26 with time pulse in my smaller TV/music rig. No complains there. I am sure it will do a good job also with the A26. They (Gustard 26 serie+U18) uses the K2 clock synthezeiser, which responds very well on the quality of the master clock. It has been some fuss about the OCK-2 and bad measurements but my unit is good and it is leaning more to the Mutec than to its smaller sister, the OCK-1.

But. There is of course a difference between the OCK-2 and the Mutec... as it should. The thing is that the K2 clock syntheseizer makes these Gustard 26- serie high value dacs with this highest level of master clocks as with the Mutec REF10 SE120

I haven't heard Cybershaft, AfterDark Giesemann or the C18
/Jan

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,083 of 3,397
Power cables for your clock?

Not the DC cable but the power cable from the wall.

Currently using Neotech 3003 w/Furutech FI-11M (Cu).

Have you noticed any positive difference with cables and connectors + types (copper, gold, rhodium etc). And favorite cables that you have compared to others?

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,084 of 3,397
I am using a 1.5m Audioquest DBS - clone. It woks like a charm with the REF10. I have no idea of what materials it is built with. It is connected to a -70dB outlet on the power filter (SimpleBest EU version).

Edit: Material is said to be "WEL Solid PSS Silver"

/Jan

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,085 of 3,397
I am using a 1.5m Audioquest DBS - clone. It woks like a charm with the REF10. I have no idea of what materials it is built with. It is connected to a -70dB outlet on the power filter (SimpleBest EU version).

Edit: Material is said to be "WEL Solid PSS Silver"

/Jan
I use that same cable on my streamer, no complaint. On the clock, i got an odin2 clone plus a flux50 clone. This works really well but did cost me some money. I bought one of the expensive odin2. The flux50 seem to really work. I also put one on the streamer now that i recall, combined to the Wel. The idea is really simple, streamers are a pollution source, so you better isolate from it as much as you can.

The ref10 has a built-in ac filter for this purpose.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,086 of 3,397
Used Mutec REF10s (regular version, not the SE120) can be had for around $3000. At that price range, are there other clocks to consider that would have a similar technical level and SQ? Or is the REF10 the best deal?

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #1,087 of 3,397
Used Mutec REF10s (regular version, not the SE120) can be had for around $3000. At that price range, are there other clocks to consider that would have a similar technical level and SQ? Or is the REF10 the best deal?
The Afterdark Trifecta should be considered but is not as rich in features (only 3 outs).

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,088 of 3,397
The Afterdark Trifecta should be considered but is not as rich in features (only 3 outs).
Thanks. I've looked at the Trifecta but from what I can tell the top of the line model that matches the REF 10 costs $5K and almost never goes on sale, whereas a second hand REF 10 can be had for around $3K.

But if the Trifecta's top model is substantially better than the REF 10, then I'd consider it.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #1,089 of 3,397
Thanks. I've looked at the Trifecta but from what I can tell the top of the line model that matches the REF 10 costs $5K and almost never goes on sale, whereas a second hand REF 10 can be had for around $3K.

But if the Trifecta's top model is substantially better than the REF 10, then I'd consider it.
More like 3500$ for the Double Crown grade.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,090 of 3,397
More like 3500$ for the Double Crown grade.
I see thanks. Just realized it wont work for me anyway since the outputs are 75 ohm and I need 50.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,092 of 3,397
They can customize the outs to your likings.
Gotcha thanks. But still I was under the impression that in order to match the level of the REF10 I would have to get the Gieseman Eva model. Is that not the case?

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #1,093 of 3,397
Gotcha thanks. But still I was under the impression that in order to match the level of the REF10 I would have to get the Gieseman Eva model. Is that not the case?
No. The regular Mutec spec - 116dB@1hz. The Emperor Double Crown states -117db @1hz. But frankly, i think i would go with the LHY ock2 and save over 2k.

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,094 of 3,397
No. The regular Mutec spec - 116dB@1hz. The Emperor Double Crown states -117db @1hz. But frankly, i think i would go with the LHY ock2 and save over 2k.
Thanks. Do you think it's a good as the other two clocks? I don't mind spending more to get a good clock but if the LHY is as good then yeah, I'd love to save the $$

Mar 5, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,095 of 3,397
Thanks. Do you think it's a good as the other two clocks? I don't mind spending more to get a good clock but if the LHY is as good then yeah, I'd love to save the $$
Not sure..The ref10 is a safe choice and is made by a solid and reputed cie. 3k is a fair price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back