Master Clock Talk
Feb 27, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #1,052 of 3,374
Has anyone tried these filters on their master clock?

images_39.jpeg

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #1,053 of 3,374
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Harmonic Technologies cables. I will have to try one. Presently still enjoying the 75ohm LMR-400 with Furutech connectors.

I used this with the Ock-1 and it worked well with the sinewave outputs. Ultimately I ended up preferring the Ock-1’s square wave output.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,054 of 3,374

images_39.jpeg
It might be important to know how lossy these are and also to see a trace of the curve. But for clock applications these are probably a really, really bad idea.

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #1,055 of 3,374
It might be important to know how lossy these are and also to see a trace of the curve. But for clock applications these are probably a really, really bad idea.
Why so? On other forums I have seen people recommend them for giessman clocks and generally cheaper sinewave clocks? I just stuck one on my lhy ock 1 (as it’s performance is only marginally better than the gustards r26 internal clock) - so keen to know if this was a bad call!

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #1,057 of 3,374
Why so? On other forums I have seen people recommend them for giessman clocks and generally cheaper sinewave clocks? I just stuck one on my lhy ock 1 (as it’s performance is only marginally better than the gustards r26 internal clock) - so keen to know if this was a bad call!
Well, it's unclear whether better on-paper technical performance of clocks into one device translates into sound that any individual person like better.

If you like it, the discussion ends there.

But, given the ideal performance of a hifi clock is to put out a perfect square wave at 10 MHz, I think it's better not to second guess the manufacturer. You cannot improve a waveform with this kind of filtering, especially not by using a device that passes 11 MHz of junk and noise.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #1,058 of 3,374
But, given the idea performance of a clock is to put out a perfect square wave at 10 MHz

...or sinewave. It depends a lot on whether the clock is good at creating a squarewave into equipment that has less than excellent triggering, or whether a perfect sinewave is better into equipment with excellent threshold triggering. The forthcoming EtherREGEN Gen2 apparently has focussed on great input triggering and I'm looking forward to acquiring one as soon as they become available.

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,059 of 3,374
...or sinewave. It depends a lot on whether the clock is good at creating a squarewave into equipment that has less than excellent triggering, or whether a perfect sinewave is better into equipment with excellent threshold triggering.
Conversion from sinewave to square/pulse form is always happening. Quality is better if done on the clock device in a strictly controlled low noise environment, also easing requirements for the precise triggering on each connected device. If conversion is done on the each receiving device, there is more noise than inside a clock, and it is a cost ineffective solution.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,060 of 3,374
Alternatively, sinewaves are easily transmitted with their waveform well preserved. Squarewaves can arrive quite misshapen if not very well impedance matched. There is just as strong an argument for quality conversion at the receiving end.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,063 of 3,374
I had a chance to compare the OCK-2 with my Morion MV89A this morning. The OCK-2 has over 1700 hours on it.

I'm using a ZeroZone LPS, DIY Mundorf DC cable with the Morion vs. the OCK-2 with it's built in power supply. $ to $ comparison these two setups are about the same retail price, the OCK-2 is about $100 higher today. And of course your mileage will vary with the Morion depending on power supply and DC cable used.

Using a DI-20HE to feed a Master 7 DAC (yes I still have it), and only the DI-20 using the external clock input as the M7 doesn't have one.

I first did this comparison last week and the OCK-2 killed the Morion until I realized they were not using the same power cords. I had some cable of unknow origin on the Morion. Switching to the same power chord on both units and the difference narrowed considerably.

Especially in the high frequency the OCK-2 edged the Morion. Some tracks it made a big difference, others not so much. Messy complex tracks became more organized and coherent. Everything was more enjoyable.

Compared to the internal clock of the DI20HE + Morion, I'll give the OCK-2 40-60% improvement again. But the differences don't jump out at you like when comparing a different amp or headphone. Here it's the same but different.

For sure in my system the OCK-2 is the winner with relative price, sound, and build quality. And no need to deal with matching DC cables and LPS as with the Morion.

The DI20HE is still the biggest winner for me though, clock or no clock. But if you feel you have a resolving system get an OCK-2 or similar also. When you compare the DI20HE with and without the OCK-2 the differences are significant.

An update to my thoughts regarding the OCK-2.

During my previous head-to-head comparison with my Morion the OCK-2 came ahead.

In the weeks of listening afterwards, and without any other changes, my system has clearly become something else entirely. The subtle differences brought on by this clock upgrade have proven to be major changes in the enjoyment I am getting from listening to music. Electronic music has benefited the most.

Once again I must put off retiring my 9 year old Master 7 dac. Are these upgrades never going to end?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #1,064 of 3,374
An update to my thoughts regarding the OCK-2.

During my previous head-to-head comparison with my Morion the OCK-2 came ahead.

In the weeks of listening afterwards, and without any other changes, my system has clearly become something else entirely. The subtle differences brought on by this clock upgrade have proven to be major changes in the enjoyment I am getting from listening to music. Electronic music has benefited they most.

Once again I must put off retiring my 9 year old Master 7 dac. Are these upgrades never going to end?
Fuse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back