Master Clock Talk
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,066 of 3,374
Looking for some advice and insight from the group.

I am interest to buy an audiophile network switch. The LHY SW-10 switch has an OXCO clock.

My understanding has been that a good Clock is beneficial only for conversion, thus for DAC and DDC. A network switch does not convert.

I cannot wrap not wrap my head around how a network switch benefits from an improved clock and thus if it is worth the premium over a switch like the SW-8 that has no OXCO clock.

Can anyone give insight?

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,067 of 3,374
Not true. An external clock greatly improves the performance of the EtherREGEN, which is a switch/reclocker.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,068 of 3,374
Not true. An external clock greatly improves the performance of the EtherREGEN, which is a switch/reclocker.
Thanks for your insight. I am not sure I understand how it does improve the sound as there is no conversion? What does the Clock do to improve the sound (versus for example a buffer in the switch that makes sure no data 'gets lost'?

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #1,069 of 3,374
Thanks for your insight. I am not sure I understand how it does improve the sound as there is no conversion? What does the Clock do to improve the sound (versus for example a buffer in the switch that makes sure no data 'gets lost'?

It improves the timing of the ethernet packets with reduced jitter and lower phase noise. Less noise reaches the DAC which results in more consistent conversion and better sound quality.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,070 of 3,374
It improves the timing of the ethernet packets with reduced jitter and lower phase noise. Less noise reaches the DAC which results in more consistent conversion and better sound quality.
Thanks, that is very helpful.

I am getting very tempted to add the LHY SW-10 and have a masterclock control the Switch and other key components in my chain that allow for external Clock control (Gustard U-18 DDC and TEAC UD-701n DAC).

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,071 of 3,374
Any rumors/news on the new one that is in the making by uptone?

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #1,072 of 3,374
Any rumors/news on the new one that is in the making by uptone?

The latest from Uptone on the EtherREGEN Gen 2 is around June timeframe.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #1,074 of 3,374
Does anyone know if AfterDark offer their Giessman Trifecta with 3x 50 ohm outputs and/or a mix of 50 and 75ohm? As unlike their single output clock which has a 50/75 option, the Trifecta presents no such option. (Yes I can and will ask AD but it's the weekend)

Also I see there's a banner at the top of their webpage saying 'New Giessman Products Coming' - any insight as to what this includes?
I got a mix. 2x50 and 1x75 on my Trifecta.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,075 of 3,374
Thanks, that is very helpful.

I am getting very tempted to add the LHY SW-10 and have a masterclock control the Switch and other key components in my chain that allow for external Clock control (Gustard U-18 DDC and TEAC UD-701n DAC).
I felt the same, having 6 clock outputs and using only 1 for the DDC seemed as if I wasn't maximizing the OCK-2 clock investment. I later added a Network switch to great results.

Now I get the itch for a SOTM streamer with a 10mhz input, but not sure if clocking 3 devices begins to hit the wall of diminishing returns, especially as the clocked source is still more upstream of the DAC and sits between 2 components which are master clocked.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,076 of 3,374
I felt the same, having 6 clock outputs and using only 1 for the DDC seemed as if I wasn't maximizing the OCK-2 clock investment. I later added a Network switch to great results.

Now I get the itch for a SOTM streamer with a 10mhz input, but not sure if clocking 3 devices begins to hit the wall of diminishing returns, especially as the clocked source is still more upstream of the DAC and sits between 2 components which are master clocked.
I actually believe the largest return of investment in an external Clock will be coming from connecting it to where the conversion takes place.

I do not know your set up but this is either in the DAC or in the DDC if connected to the DAC via I2S. Thus adding an external Clock to your DAC, if not connected over I2S, may set you up for a very nice treat.

From the info shared a few posts above: adding an external Clock to a dedicated streamer should improve it a little more.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #1,077 of 3,374
I actually believe the largest return of investment in an external Clock will be coming from connecting it to where the conversion takes place.

I do not know your set up but this is either in the DAC or in the DDC if connected to the DAC via I2S. Thus adding an external Clock to your DAC, if not connected over I2S, may set you up for a very nice treat.

From the info shared a few posts above: adding an external Clock to a dedicated streamer should improve it a little more.
Some dacs, like recent audio-gds or the top Gustards, redo the whole timing. Whether you use i2s or spdif makes no difference as far as the external clocking. You get the same significant benefits whatever the type of input.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,078 of 3,374
Some dacs, like recent audio-gds or the top Gustards, redo the whole timing. Whether you use i2s or spdif makes no difference as far as the external clocking. You get the same significant benefits whatever the type of input.
That is interesting info and makes me even more interested in the recently launched Gustard A26.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,079 of 3,374
That is interesting info and makes me even more interested in the recently launched Gustard A26.
The Gustard A26 is like the other 26's (X26 Pro, R26) brilliant with a good master clock. Without, they are just good. I am burning in an A26 since the 27'th of February. Playing using the internal renderer (UPnP/DLNA Bridge) with the Mutec REF10 SE120 using a Harmonic Tech 50 Ohm BNC cable.

Go for it. It is a really good dac
/Jan

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #1,080 of 3,374
The Gustard A26 is like the other 26's (X26 Pro, R26) brilliant with a good master clock. Without, they are just good. I am burning in an A26 since the 27'th of February. Playing using the internal renderer (UPnP/DLNA Bridge) with the Mutec REF10 SE120 using a Harmonic Tech 50 Ohm BNC cable.

Go for it. It is a really good dac
/Jan
I just pulled the trigger and have a A26 incoming :relaxed:. Do you have an advice on any other Clocks next to the Mutec (I do like it, but outside of what I am willing to pay).

From my research I have a compiled a short list (I am open to additions) but specs are not all clear to me
-Cybershaft -> they are really clear in stating the Phase Noise and Allen Deviation values and their Clocks seem to perform well
-Gustard C18. On top of the range but the Phase Noise and Allen Deviation look much lower (worse) than what one can but from Cuybershaft for the same price (am I interpreting their data right)
-LHY OCK-2. Much friendlier price wise and there seem to be some hype around it. However its specs on Phase Noise and Allen Devation are not clear to me.
-TEAC CG-10M, same as LHY OCK-2, specs are not clear to me and internal build looks less impressive compared to LHY.

Many thanks in advance for your info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back