Master Clock Talk
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #886 of 3,372
The Oyaides 75-ohm cable scope tests very well with square wave clocks. Sounded good with SPDIF as well.
I didn't want to play the cable game with the clock.

Oyaide quality, 5n solid core silver conductor, 4n silver connectors, triple shielding, done.

Also helps that the exchange rate is favorable for us 'muricans.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #887 of 3,372
The Oyaides 75-ohm cable scope tests very well with square wave clocks. Sounded good with SPDIF as well.
I didn't want to play the cable game with the clock.

Oyaide quality, 5n solid core silver conductor, 4n silver connectors, triple shielding, done.

Also helps that the exchange rate is favorable for us 'muricans.
Sounds and looks like quality. No 50-ohm version though as far as I can see, correct?

Lucky you guys with the strong exchange rate - the good ol' flight to the safety (or higher interest rates) of the US dollar always means exact opposite for our small trading nation's currency, and unfortunately most of the stuff we're talking about here is priced in USD or EUR.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #888 of 3,372
Sounds and looks like quality. No 50-ohm version though as far as I can see, correct?

Lucky you guys with the strong exchange rate - the good ol' flight to the safety (or higher interest rates) of the US dollar always means exact opposite for our small trading nation's currency, and unfortunately most of the stuff we're talking about here is priced in USD or EUR.
Build quality is outstanding on the oyaide cable. Quite pretty as well.

Yeah, unfortunately, no 50ohm version.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #889 of 3,372
In my case, my Silent Angel Switch has a 50Ω 10Mhz clock input but a physical 75Ω connector. It is connected to the OCK-2 which has a 50Ω connector. See how confusing this gets?

Confusing. I assumed that the connector is/determines what the input rating is🙄

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #890 of 3,372
Confusing. I assumed that the connector is/determines what the input rating is🙄

It doesn't determine it, it just is the way properly engineered gear is supposed to be made :wink:

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #891 of 3,372
Independent to the impedance setting. ISO means "isolated", it gives isolation for DC (including mains 50/60Hz and low frequency harmonics). This is setting for protecting from ground loops. GND position gives a direct ground connection with the receiver.

Use settings which works the best for you, it is system dependent. If you have two or more receiving devices (like DDC and a DAC), I would suggest using GND option only on the one connection (for DAC in my preference). It may conflict with preferences for square and sine outputs, I have no experience in this area, as my RF experience is limited to the laboratory equipment and HAM radio.
Cracked open the OCK-2 last night and flipped the switch on the Square Wave for the Silent Angel Switch to 75Ω per your and @JaMo recommendations. 2mm hex bit and a finger were all that was required.

Curiously, from the factory, LHY has the sine wave outputs set to 50Ω/ISO and the square waves set to 50Ω/GND. The switches with white boxes next to them are the sine wave outputs.

As the OCK-2 has 3 sine and 3 square outputs, are they all synced?

Can one make the assumption that the beats match if all 6 outputs were used concurrently? Or is it best to stick to using 1 or the other option, effectively making it a 3 output clock?

Attachments

• IMG_8893.JPG
    IMG_8893.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #892 of 3,372
As the OCK-2 has 3 sine and 3 square outputs, are they all synced?

Can one make the assumption that the beats match if all 6 outputs were used concurrently?
I have no doubt, they are all synchronised.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #893 of 3,372
There is one OCXO can in there, so they are all sync'd.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #894 of 3,372
There is one OCXO can in there, so they are all sync'd.
Yes, I figured. Just questioning if the implementation would bear out the theoretical perfect synchronicity. Its a question we can't really answer without mapping the sine wave over the square wave and observing their points of overlap and deviation.

The Mutec approach of selecting Square wave and making physical 50Ω and 75Ω output options is a more ideal choice to be given than the OCK-2's Sine vs. Square wave 50/75Ω switch option packaged only with 50Ω physcial outputs.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #895 of 3,372
I have been using the fo.q tape for a few years now and it does some amazing things.

I use it in my furutech etp80, on duplexes in the wall, for tuning headphones, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I have noticed that when used in headphones, amps and dacs, you have to be very careful about where you place it and how much to use as it kills bass, stage and dynamics if overused.
@dougms3 Hope you don't mind me replying to your post from the Puritan thread over here where I thought it'd be a little more on-topic.

Have you tried your fo.Q tape anywhere on your OCK-2 yet - such as on the OCXO itself? Appreciate it is probably hard to predict the outcome, but if anything is sensitive to resonance, or uncontrolled vibration, surely it is a master clock. AfterDark use Dynamat Xtreme on their clock enclosures.

Given the recommendations re how well it works with the PSM156, I shall be ordering me some anyway methinks to try with the PSM156 when it arrives so might as well give it a go with the OCK-1. And maybe some Mad Scientist Nano stuff too on its toroidal transformer.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #896 of 3,372
@dougms3 Hope you don't mind me replying to your post from the Puritan thread over here where I thought it'd be a little more on-topic.

Have you tried your fo.Q tape anywhere on your OCK-2 yet - such as on the OCXO itself? Appreciate it is probably hard to predict the outcome, but if anything is sensitive to resonance, or uncontrolled vibration, surely it is a master clock. AfterDark use Dynamat Xtreme on their clock enclosures.

Given the recommendations re how well it works with the PSM156, I shall be ordering me some anyway methinks to try with the PSM156 when it arrives so might as well give it a go with the OCK-1. And maybe some Mad Scientist Nano stuff too on its toroidal transformer.
It works well to absorb vibrations, when placed on capacitors it has an interesting effect but I have not tried it on the ock-2. Be forewarned that it it is very powerful stuff and can affect the sound negatively.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #897 of 3,372
It works well to absorb vibrations, when placed on capacitors it has an interesting effect but I have not tried it on the ock-2. Be forewarned that it it is very powerful stuff and can affect the sound negatively.
Cheers. I see in Fo's FAQs they say the Fo.Q material is not completely nonconducting, so caution re using directly on parts that conduct electrical signals. So perhaps there's a difference between placing on top of a capacitor vs on top of an OCXO outer oven enclosure, the latter not a conductor per se. But appreciate there's no substitute for trial and error with this sort of thing.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #898 of 3,372
Cheers. I see in Fo's FAQs they say the Fo.Q material is not completely nonconducting, so caution re using directly on parts that conduct electrical signals. So perhaps there's a difference between placing on top of a capacitor vs on top of an OCXO outer oven enclosure, the latter not a conductor per se. But appreciate there's no substitute for trial and error with this sort of thing.
It is mildly conductive, including the adhesive.

I've placed it on top of capacitors before in my amp and dac and did not like the effect. It reduced noise and made it sound more resolving but killed stage, bass and dynamics. Just like it does on headphones if overused. Its too difficult to find the right balance and amount to use. I dont like sacrificing anything, I want the whole enchilada.
Perhaps you may have better success with it.

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #899 of 3,372
Random: Would it be damaging to connect af master clock to an input that is spdif/bnc and not meant to 10Mhz?

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #900 of 3,372
Random: Would it be damaging to connect af master clock to an input that is spdif/bnc and not meant to 10Mhz?
Permanent damage probably not, but I wouldn't try. You may experience hanging a receiver. As it is in FPGA, the entire firmware. Cycle power, if doesn't help, then power off for half an hour disconnecting all connections to clear static electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back