Master Clock Talk
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #871 of 3,353
On my REF10 there is a separate ground lug. It seems this is a new feature, I don't see it in the pictures on the website. Does yours have it?

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #873 of 3,353
To ground or not to ground?

Some have reported that attaching a ground box to a reference clock harmed rather than benefited the sound. This is not what I experienced with the Mutec Ref10 SE120 though: grounding it via an RCA-BNC adapter gave a clear improvement.

However, I just tried with the LHY OCK-2 and there indeed I prefer not to ground.

Not sure, but could this be related to the fact that on the Mutec one can deactivate individual clock outputs? My grounding was done on a deactivated output. On the OCK-2 this is not possible. Maybe grounding the OCK-2 other than via a BNC output would improve the sound?
Grounding on the OCK-2 between the three boards is carried out from board to board over the board connectors. LHY has taken care of correct grounding.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #875 of 3,353
To anybody that has the most annoying problem with the usb blaster and windows 10. I am spamming so google recoignize it and help other when they search.

ALTERA USB BLASTER: unknown usb device device descriptor request failed

To anybody that are going to start a firmware upgrade process and Windows(device manager) wont register the usb blaster and gives a "Descriptor" error

My solution was: Using a usb hub before the usb blaster. This is some Voodoo crap!

It worked!!

My R8HE MK2 has now clock input.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #876 of 3,353

Additional grounding would not make any sense imo, as i said, grounding is already provided to the circuit board. Such boxes could make sense on a device where you have an external power supply.
And even on such devices with external PSU such a box could cause ground to zero issues.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #877 of 3,353
Regarding the internal switching between 50/75Ω impedance for the OCK-2, would you change them to 75Ω if you using a 75Ω Cable? or would it be the device that determines the selection? As far as I know, typically a 10Mhz signal require 50Ω and word clock requires 75Ω.

In my case, my Silent Angel Switch has a 50Ω 10Mhz clock input but a physical 75Ω connector. It is connected to the OCK-2 which has a 50Ω connector. See how confusing this gets?

When asked why, the manufacturers responded that they use the 75Ω connector so that either cables can be used. The implication of this response being that it is ok to use a 50Ω cable on a 75Ω connector, but not as acceptable vice versa?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #878 of 3,353
Regarding the internal switching between 50/75Ω impedance for the OCK-2, would you change them to 75Ω if you using a 75Ω Cable? or would it be the device that determines the selection? As far as I know, typically a 10Mhz signal require 50Ω and word clock requires 75Ω.

In my case, my Silent Angel Switch has a 50Ω 10Mhz clock input but a physical 75Ω connector. It is connected to the OCK-2 which has a 50Ω connector. See how confusing this gets.

When asked about why, the manufacturers responded that they put the 75Ω connector so that both cables can be used. The implication of this response is that it is ok to use a 50Ω cable on a 75Ω connector, but not as acceptable vice versa.
On the OCK-2 I recommend You to use 75 Ohm and GND setting on square wave outputs. Sine wave are less critical on impedance matching, so there You can set to 50 or 75 Ohm even if the outputs are 75 Ohm type. I personally would set those Sine wave outputs to ISO or GND if used with 50 Ohm cables/gears.
Edit: Always use the correct cable impedance.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #879 of 3,353
On the OCK-2 I recommend You to use 75 Ohm and GND setting on square wave outputs. Sine wave are less criticalon impedance matching, so there You can set to 50 or 75 Ohm even if the outputs are 75 Ohm type. I personally would set those Sine wave outputs to ISO or GND if used with 50 Ohm cables/gears.
Edit: Always use the correct cable impedance.

/Jan
Following up on that logic, I'm also using a 75Ω cable from the square wave 50Ω OCK-2 Clock (set to 50Ω/ISO internally) going into a 50Ω Gustard U18 DDC.

I should then set that switch on the OCK-2 to 75Ω/GND… to match the cable?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #880 of 3,353
Following up on that logic, I'm also using a 75Ω cable from the square wave 50Ω OCK-2 Clock (set to 50Ω/ISO internally) going into a 50Ω Gustard U18 DDC.

No. You should use 50 Ohm Sine wave output (GND or ISO) with a 50 Ohm BNC cable to the 50 Ohm input of the U18.

It is the "listener device" impedance that is relevant to be loyal to. The U18 is a device with a pretty exact 50 Ohm impedance and should be fed with a good 50 Ohm BNC cable and the sending device (Master clock, here LHY OCK-2) should be set to 50 Ohm (sine, ISO/GND)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #881 of 3,353

No, @JaMo gives correct answer. Just adding that:

1st order: Always match cable impedance with termination on the receiver.

2nd order: match sender termination with #1. Almost equally important.

3rd order: match connectors impedance (least important).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #882 of 3,353
No. You should use 50 Ohm Sine wave output (GND or ISO) with a 50 Ohm BNC cable to the 50 Ohm input of the U18.

It is the "listener device" impedance that is relevant to be loyal to. The U18 is a device with a pretty exact 50 Ohm impedance and should be fed with a good 50 Ohm BNC cable and the sending device (Master clock, here LHY OCK-2) should be set to 50 Ohm (sine, ISO/GND)
Proper and technically correct settings aside, my high dollar 75Ω cable sounds much better than my lowly 50Ω Cable. Thus, the line of questioning. I know I need a real 50Ω cable, but it's gonna cost me some if I go Shunyata/Sotm 50Ω. Might have to actually shake the 50Ω LMR400 tree and see how it compares to the 75Ω Audience Studio One. If anything, I can share that experience for the sake of this thread's collective experience.

The ISO/GND setting as it relates to 50/75Ω cable/termination/wave options are still a bit mystifying. Thanks for the recommendations.

No, @JaMo gives correct answer. Just adding that:

1st order: Always match cable impedance with termination on the receiver.

2nd order: match sender termination with #1. Almost equally important.

3rd order: match connectors impedance (least important).
Very clear and much appreciated hierarchical decision tree.

I was getting tripped up on native receiver impedance (50Ω Silent Angel 10mhz input) vs connector (terminal) impedance (75Ω terminal on aforementioned Silent Angel).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #883 of 3,353
The ISO/GND setting as it relates to 50/75Ω cable/termination/wave options are still a bit mystifying.
Independent to the impedance setting. ISO means "isolated", it gives isolation for DC (including mains 50/60Hz and low frequency harmonics). This is setting for protecting from ground loops. GND position gives a direct ground connection with the receiver.

Use settings which works the best for you, it is system dependent. If you have two or more receiving devices (like DDC and a DAC), I would suggest using GND option only on the one connection (for DAC in my preference). It may conflict with preferences for square and sine outputs, I have no experience in this area, as my RF experience is limited to the laboratory equipment and HAM radio.

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #884 of 3,353
Received this today, I finally connected my dac to the ock-2 master clock.

I already had the master clock connected to my audio-gd DI20he for several weeks now.

The increase in sound quality is pretty significant. Definitely more resolving, punchier, livelier, separation, stage, depth, imaging, microdetail and its more holographic. Theres a sense of Grandeur to the sound, if that makes sense.

I'll report back after a few weeks of burn in.

20230131_134614.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back