Master Clock Talk
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #751 of 3,354
This is how I attached it Fred, the only way I could practically attach it with my new grounding connector suite. I’m a grounding novice so just experimenting so welcome any direction here as to principles of theoretically optimal connection.

06E1F1C7-6D84-42E9-90AE-E70CAFBD8F94.jpeg

I see the (not as yet used with the OCK-1) RCA adaptor ground box/tube is connected only to the RCA centre pin so with a BNC/RCA adaptor it would connect to the centre pin of the OCK-1’s BNC output.

BA3244F2-D814-44DF-82E2-5F5D20EA5B30.jpeg
The external ring on a bnc is earth, not neutral.

Seems very ackward to me to apply grounding to the rca's central pin. It is a live contact.

I apply grounding to neutral on my di20he and r7he mkii. I use the outer ring of rca connectors.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #752 of 3,354
The external ring on a bnc is earth, not neutral.

Seems very ackward to me to apply grounding to the rca's central pin. It is a live contact.

I apply grounding to neutral on my di20he and r7he mkii. I use the outer ring of rca connectors.
Thanks Fred. I may resolder the RCA ground box cable to the outer RCA ring. May explain the adverse results I got using those with R26 & Athena.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #755 of 3,354
This is how I attached it Fred, the only way I could practically attach it with my new grounding connector suite. I’m a grounding novice so just experimenting so welcome any direction here as to principles of theoretically optimal connection.

06E1F1C7-6D84-42E9-90AE-E70CAFBD8F94.jpeg

I see the (not as yet used with the OCK-1) RCA adaptor ground box/tube is connected only to the RCA centre pin so with a BNC/RCA adaptor it would connect to the centre pin of the OCK-1’s BNC output.

BA3244F2-D814-44DF-82E2-5F5D20EA5B30.jpeg
Those grounding tubes are legit.

I have the same ones with a spade connected to my plc and one on my pc.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #756 of 3,354
Just an update to say the jury is still out, I’d had to turn my gear off yesterday and again today, I’d thought 5+ hours yesterday, if not ideal, would be long enough for the OCK-1’s oscillators to stabilise sufficiently for a meaning comparison between grounded vs not. But my preference between ground tubes vs not is changing the longer the OCK-1 is left on, so perhaps not. TBC…

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #757 of 3,354
Just an update to say the jury is still out, I’d had to turn my gear off yesterday and again today, I’d thought 5+ hours yesterday, if not ideal, would be long enough for the OCK-1’s oscillators to stabilise sufficiently for a meaning comparison between grounded vs not. But my preference between ground tubes vs not is changing the longer the OCK-1 is left on, so perhaps not. TBC…
And did you try to apply these grounding cables to other gear?

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #758 of 3,354
And did you try to apply these grounding cables to other gear?
Yes, significantly reduced noise/better background with my stock wifi router, neutral/maybe minor improvement with Mac Mini (both USB connections), adverse impact with Athena and R26 RCAs (flattened dynamics), but as per exchange with @FredA above they seem to be wired strangely which may explain it. I'll resolder one and retry. No easy way to attach one to my SW-8, that's next on the list. Haven't tried with U18, Zen Stream or... TV (yes, I'm going to try it given how much the SW-8 improved its internal streamer!) yet.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #759 of 3,354
Yes, significantly reduced noise/better background with my stock wifi router, neutral/maybe minor improvement with Mac Mini (both USB connections), adverse impact with Athena and R26 RCAs (flattened dynamics), but as per exchange with @FredA above they seem to be wired strangely which may explain it. I'll resolder one and retry. No easy way to attach one to my SW-8, that's next on the list. Haven't tried with U18, Zen Stream or... TV (yes, I'm going to try it given how much the SW-8 improved its internal streamer!) yet.
Good.
I will order some cables like yours, and will try them.
I see that you chose the wooden ones. There are also black ones in paper tubes.
Do you know what's the difference?

I read what Fred told you, but could not understand what's wrong with the RCA cables…

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #760 of 3,354
Uh oh I can foresee a grounding box discovery coming shortly.

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #761 of 3,354
I have one Quartz Acoustic Premium grounding box on each component in the digital chain from router to DAC. They make an extraordinary difference to soundstage, low level detail and vibrancy. Only one box per component and don't try sharing them between components. That doesn't work.

The investment is really worth the outcome, like upgrading every component.

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #762 of 3,354
I see that you chose the wooden ones. There are also black ones in paper tubes.
Do you know what's the difference?

I read what Fred told you, but could not understand what's wrong with the RCA cables…
The rosewood ones look and feel so good in the hand. That is why. Coupled with the pure silver 18 AWG they can double as hifi ornaments. Who knows, perhaps the wood has a fraction more energy dissipation capacity than paper too. 😉

The problem - per Fred- is for effective grounding the wire ought to be attached to the outer RCA surround not the centre pin.
Uh oh I can foresee a grounding box discovery coming shortly.
My apologies in advance. I shall try at least a little to keep my comments here vaguely clock related. Before I do that though I'll make a correction to say after a second listen this evening one of the USB ones connected to the Mac Mini micely lowered the noise floor, increased the blackness of the soundstage along with greater macro and micro dynamics. Similar effect wirh the USB one on my wifi router.
I have one Quartz Acoustic Premium grounding box on each component in the digital chain from router to DAC. They make an extraordinary difference to soundstage, low level detail and vibrancy. Only one box per component and don't try sharing them between components. That doesn't work.

The investment is really worth the outcome, like upgrading every component.
Cheers, your and others' endorsement of grounding prompted me to try this with these little cylinders to start. Will have to order a Quartz Acoustic next.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #763 of 3,354
The rosewood ones look and feel so good in the hand. That is why. Coupled with the pure silver 18 AWG they can double as hifi ornaments. Who knows, perhaps the wood has a fraction more energy dissipation capacity than paper too. 😉

The problem - per Fred- is for effective grounding the wire ought to be attached to the outer RCA surround not the centre pin.

My apologies in advance. I shall try at least a little to keep my comments here vaguely clock related. Before I do that though I'll make a correction to say after a second listen this evening one of the USB ones connected to the Mac Mini micely lowered the noise floor, increased the blackness of the soundstage along with greater macro and micro dynamics. Similar effect wirh the USB one on my wifi router.

Cheers, your and others' endorsement of grounding prompted me to try this with these little cylinders to start. Will have to order a Quartz Acoustic next.
You are right, the wooden are nicer.
Did you try to attach them to the speakers?

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #765 of 3,354
No apologies necessary to me :)

I just was pointing out the grounding boxes rabbit hole thats all.

You may be interested in cdacosta's homemade grounding boxes. I believe the grounding tubes contain similar ingredients, just in smaller amounts. zivkof also made one.

Don't know why these work but they seem to work well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-175

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back