Master Clock Talk
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #721 of 3,354
Do fusible links help in this situation i.e. is it better electrically while still providing the overcurrent protection?

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #722 of 3,354
FYI Alvin's intro video on the new and monster SW-10 switch/clock. Looks just as beautifully built as my SW-8.

Thanks @alvin1118 , from a happy SW-8 & OCK-1 owner - the two together lift my R26 well beyond what I thought a $1.5k DAC was capable of sounding like. Though you do have a habit of releasing very tempting step-up models just a month after my said purchases! Half-expecting to hear any day now there's a new flagship model slotting in above the Athena... :sweat_smile:

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #724 of 3,354
How would you measure the waveform in a fuse? What criteria are you looking for? What device would you use to even measure that?
Look at the output of the clock. Unlike for audio, where I agree it is dubious to jump to conclusions based on SINAD and impulse measurements, for a clock we do know what the ideal output should be: a perfect sine or perfect square wave.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #725 of 3,354
My impression of the function of fuses like the SR Purple is that they reduce noise. So powering a clock via a Purple isn't going to change the waveform, but it is going to change the noise floor quite substantially, and this does affect the DAC conversion.

I have used Purples in my Rendu, U18 and X26 Pro and the sound quality improvement is quite significant.

Jan 19, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #726 of 3,354
Sorry, yes, I have two LMR-400 cables from the Bevotop shop in AliExpress.

Beautifully made, very stiff and solid cable.
Is there such a thing as burn-in for a clock cable like these?

I ask as I followed your and @FredA 's lead and just had a couple of these LMR400s deliverered. Also from the Bevotop AliX store. Straight out the box, used sine wave, vs Gustard C2 that I've used for months the latter remains undefeated e.g. more textured and palpable female vocals, greater soundstage depth and placement precision.

I'll run em over night and see if they're any different tomorrow.

Otherwise Fred's latest cable is pretty tempting.

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #727 of 3,354
Is there such a thing as burn-in for a clock cable like these?
Yes, there is. With the LMR-400 they sound perfectly decent from new but in both cases (I have two), I left them running in place with the clock always on and, after about a week, there was a step change in soundstage with increased spacial width and depth, longer note decay and improved vibrancy. It's a very noticeable change from one evening's listening to the next and each cable underwent a similar transformation.

In view of their peanuts cost, they represent outstanding value for their performance, beating every previous cable I've used.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #728 of 3,354
Ok thanks Martin, good to know. Will give them a fair go then over the next week.

And I agree they sounded very decent from the get go, vs other cables I've tried as challengers to the C2. Though this also makes me wonder if the Minicircuits semi-rigid one would've also benefited from a good run in. Hmm.

Also quite agree re the peanuts cost, totally worth a go.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #729 of 3,354
It’s time!

…to see what the masterclock is about.

Will let it burn couple of hours before initial impression.

These supra trico 0.75m cables looks good

Attachments

• 1A0535AE-4464-4592-931E-42AC2F7F037F.jpeg
    1A0535AE-4464-4592-931E-42AC2F7F037F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #731 of 3,354
It will need more than a couple of hours, of course. :)
The difference between my RME ADI-2 and this Master piece of a setup, unexplainable goosebumps!

Wow! its real, its layered and depth texture, I can hear a better clarity in the upper highs. Vocals are so unreal

Not gonna lie when I connected the usb cable(SR ACTIVE USB SE) to the RME, it also gained this 3D effect....but lacks alot of lowend.

Im surprised, this initial impression is 15 minutes of warm up of the whole system...

AGD4LIFE!

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #732 of 3,354
I found a cable maker in singapore that makes custom BNC cables.

I asked about the 50ohm cable and this is the response I received.

"The way I make such cables as of now are by calculating the impedance, using an air tube suspension as dielectric, then measuring the impedance until I get close to 50 ohms"

His pricing seems to be very reasonable for 5N silver cable.

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #733 of 3,354
I found a cable maker in singapore that makes custom BNC cables.

I asked about the 50ohm cable and this is the response I received.

"The way I make such cables as of now are by calculating the impedance, using an air tube suspension as dielectric, then measuring the impedance until I get close to 50 ohms"

His pricing seems to be very reasonable for 5N silver cable.
Uniformity in impedance (thus in geometry) is very important, and must remain when bent. Designing these digital cables is not easy. Next is noise. Higher conductivite minimizes noise. You need excellent shielding too (multiple layers) and a low loss dielectric. Finally, you need to achieve 50-ohm, thus some capacitance.

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #734 of 3,354
Uniformity in impedance (thus in geometry) is very important, and must remain when bent. Designing these digital cables is not easy. Next is noise. Higher conductivite minimizes noise. You need excellent shielding too (multiple layers) and a low loss dielectric. Finally, you need to achieve 50-ohm, thus some capacitance.
Do you think it's a bad idea to go with the custom cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back