Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #1,621 of 2,613
Okay so I just placed my order for the THX 789. I was thinking about purchasing the Balance Grace SDAC but I noticed it uses the same DAC as my Fiio K3. Could I just use the 3.5mm line out on my Fiio K3 into the THX 789 RCA inputs?

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #1,622 of 2,613
Okay so I just placed my order for the THX 789. I was thinking about purchasing the Balance Grace SDAC but I noticed it uses the same DAC as my Fiio K3. Could I just use the 3.5mm line out on my Fiio K3 into the THX 789 RCA inputs?

Yes.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #1,623 of 2,613

Hmm okay. Well I figured out that the line out on the Fiio K3 is adjustable by the volume knob. Doesn't that mean it's a pre-out? Either way what would be the best volume level to set the Fiio K3 to when using it with another amp such as the 789?

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,624 of 2,613
is the fiio balanced? i can say first hand the difference running the 789 balanced is pretty huge. i dont have that fiio so im not sure.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,626 of 2,613
is the fiio balanced? i can say first hand the difference running the 789 balanced is pretty huge. i dont have that fiio so im not sure.

The Fiio has a balance headphone jack. A 2.5mm jack. But I'm talking about the line out output on the back of the Fiio K3. That way I can use only the DAC in the Fiio K3 and pair it with the THX 789.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #1,627 of 2,613
The Fiio has a balance headphone jack. A 2.5mm jack. But I'm talking about the line out output on the back of the Fiio K3. That way I can use only the DAC in the Fiio K3 and pair it with the THX 789.

Fiio describe the Line out as "Adjustable" which does indicate its a Pre-Out and not real Line out. You need to disconnect the headphones to use it and I would then just Max the volume. Check for distortion in the sound but you should be ok, if so just lower the volume a little.

Balanced inputs would be noticeably better but you don't want to use the headphone out as the point of line out is as a pure signal without the added colouration you get with things like Bass Boost for example.

Just use a quality 3.5mm to RCA Input.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #1,628 of 2,613
To confirm, the message about the may purchases shipping in august was a mistake. They later corrected the message to that, since they are currently planned to ship in September.
Good spotting i actually didn't notice that part & I am part of that drop.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,629 of 2,613
im REALLY surprised the drop is still going i though for sure they would have sold out by now
Dont know all the specifics of Drop but they're branded/marketed as Drop + THX 789. Just like their Massdrop x products (Like Elex and 6XX), its different than a drop, I think their here to stay for a while due to the high demand ( I mean they'll run out at some point but I'm sure they have many more than last time)

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,630 of 2,613
Finally drop made sure whoever want to buy this amp get their hand on it. Drop still active and almost 4.5K amp sold since yesterday. I guess with new label the number started from 1.
It will curb the inflated price of this amp in ebay and all other second hand market place.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,632 of 2,613
Yep, wonder how many cancellation requests will be made by folks who had ordered multiple units to try and cash in on the trend?

What makes this amp attractive is its' retail price. Going north of $600 iopens up other options in the used market. I saw a used unit go for $680 USD on ebay.... nuts!

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,633 of 2,613
Finally drop made sure whoever want to buy this amp get their hand on it. Drop still active and almost 4.5K amp sold since yesterday. I guess with new label the number started from 1.
It will curb the inflated price of this amp in ebay and all other second hand market place.
I'm pretty sure that the 4.5K number is the total number of amps sold over all drops, not just the currently active one. If you look at the number sold for other items that have had numerous different drops over time (like the 6XX, 4XX and the Fostex headphones) and that is clearly how it is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back