Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #2,611 of 2,613
Thank you! So you were able to mount the laser collection pot inside the case.. Nice! Can you share a picture of how it looks now? Did you remove the relay that's in the way? Is it Bypassed? Relocated?

Sorry for all the questions... I think your solution is the one to go for. I was heavily thinking of getting a 64 step relay based volume control board and mount it upside down so it wouldn't interfere with anything on the main board. But looking carefully at the board design, If the board is mounted that way... most of the board would be outside the case, and I could not enclose it. Other boards I looked at have taller capacitors that would get in the way as well and the boards are bigger. I also looked at a small chip based board using a MUSES chip.. looks nice, but it's expensive and again... it also has tall SMDs and they would all need an external 5v or 12v power source for those boards to run. In the end, I think the juice is not worth the squeeze.

So I decided to follow up on your solution. It's the simplest and just going by your experience, it also seems to be working as intended and it's an actual improvement over the original part performance wise. I feel this could be a great mod for others to follow and extend the life of this amp. For me, this would be IT while I can save to get a higher end amp after first getting a higher end pair of headphones. So thank you for your contribution :beerchug:
Well I’m glad you’re excited 😁I ended up removing the relay. It turns out that it is for muting the circuit when you insert things single ended. Hypothetically I could replace it, but I haven’t gotten around to it, maybe next Digi-Key order.

I did end up adding 6800uf 16v caps where the empty caps are and had no issues with in rush current with my Jameco linear regulated power supply. This should hypothetically reduce ripple current by over a factor of 2. Finally I added two metal film By-pass capacitors near the op amp. 0.1uf and 1uf.

Sadly this doesn’t do much for this amp headphone wise in the sound department. For BA iem though… frick it stages like a tube amp, a really good tube amp. This was always a good amp for BA iem’s but now it’s next level. It was a fun and fairly cheap exercise, but I’m probably done with this thing.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #2,612 of 2,613
Well I’m glad you’re excited 😁I ended up removing the relay. It turns out that it is for muting the circuit when you insert things single ended. Hypothetically I could replace it, but I haven’t gotten around to it, maybe next Digi-Key order.

I did end up adding 6800uf 16v caps where the empty caps are and had no issues with in rush current with my Jameco linear regulated power supply. This should hypothetically reduce ripple current by over a factor of 2. Finally I added two metal film By-pass capacitors near the op amp. 0.1uf and 1uf.

Sadly this doesn’t do much for this amp headphone wise in the sound department. For BA iem though… frick it stages like a tube amp, a really good tube amp. This was always a good amp for BA iem’s but now it’s next level. It was a fun and fairly cheap exercise, but I’m probably done with this thing.
Awesome!

I would probably just put in the pot and keep the rest as is!. If the relay is not that important I probably just remove it then. As I can be careful to ensure the RCA source is in mute before I switch to RCA from Balanced. I do use the RCA ports to connect my laptop dock station. The Balanced ports for the DAC connected to the main PC.

Can you share a picture of the completed project? Very interested in how it looks.

Also, can you comment on the pot feel? Does it "snap" into each position? or does it have a somewhat smooth operation?

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #2,613 of 2,613
Awesome!

I would probably just put in the pot and keep the rest as is!. If the relay is not that important I probably just remove it then. As I can be careful to ensure the RCA source is in mute before I switch to RCA from Balanced. I do use the RCA ports to connect my laptop dock station. The Balanced ports for the DAC connected to the main PC.

Can you share a picture of the completed project? Very interested in how it looks.

Also, can you comment on the pot feel? Does it "snap" into each position? or does it have a somewhat smooth operation?
It’s smooth, but you’ll know when you’re not making proper contact in between steps.

You can see photos here:
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ssdrop-x-thx-aaa-789.5852/page-24#post-426714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back