Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,591 of 2,613
I feel like I need to revisit this thread and give an addendum...maybe eat a little crow.

In my earlier review of the THX AAA 789 I mentioned I was running my pair of HE-4xx's single ended. I have since acquired a balanced cable from Periapt and this has somewhat altered my overall impression of the amp.

Running this amp via the balanced out is actually a quite enjoyable experience. I am finding a subtle but identifiable improvement in channel separation, and it seems like the soundstage has widened ever so slightly. This seems most apparent in the bass frequencies, which remain tight and controlled, but now have what sounds like to me a wider presentation.

Likewise, even though reproduction through all frequencies remains incredibly clean...there is a hint of added energy that is really very nice.

Nothing objective or scientific about these observations....just perception. But based on the amp's performance via balanced output...I am pretty sure it will be staying right here.

Cheers
That's exactly what happened when I changed from 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced.. Subtle yet obvious not night and day others may hope for..

Jul 13, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,592 of 2,613
I'm so getting tired of waiting. I got in on the May drop, so waiting a month just to see the email that it will be delayed another month sucked. I'm expecting it to be delayed again, from what I read from previous posts.

I really hate massdrop, and this will be the last purchase I make from them.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,593 of 2,613
I'm so getting tired of waiting. I got in on the May drop, so waiting a month just to see the email that it will be delayed another month sucked. I'm expecting it to be delayed again, from what I read from previous posts.

Us February folks had to wait too, and so it goes.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,594 of 2,613
When you buy into this you accept the fact that you are not going to get it very fast! Delays happen and when products are pushed this far out till shipment that's just extra time that setbacks can happen.

Be patient. Don't get worked up over it. If you want one earlier they are readily available but at marked up prices from people who have purchased multiple units in the past. You already know what they're selling for. This is the only option for many individuals who did not have the chance to buy one and get on the shipping list like those of you waiting for yours.

Enjoy your music with the rig that you have now! This is the waiting game you must play and in the end it will be worth it.

Stay blessed.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #1,595 of 2,613
Yeah, funny thing is...I have access to one right now. Someone I know bought one in a prior drop and a few weeks later they got relocated. He's borrowing some portable gear from me that he needs since he's in temporary housing for a while, and I'm borrowing his amp.

Here's to hoping the construction of his house keeps getting delayed! I would be sad having to go back to my prior amp.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,597 of 2,613

This amp is well known for its scarcity and long delays and delivery... I though by now everyone who's lucky enough to be part of the drop would accept the waiting period...

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,598 of 2,613

I got in on the May drop too. What's your source of delayed delivery?

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #1,603 of 2,613
I did not get that memo.

Mine still says Aug 30 as estimated ship date.

Mine still says 30th August too, but I got mine as part of the April Drop that happened about a week before the drop that most seem to be discussing. I haven't received any emails either. The update is saw was that there was 500 Units for the April Drop and 1000 for the May Drop, I don't know if it matters when you made the purchase.

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,605 of 2,613
Mine still says 30th August too, but I got mine as part of the April Drop that happened about a week before the drop that most seem to be discussing. I haven't received any emails either. The update is saw was that there was 500 Units for the April Drop and 1000 for the May Drop, I don't know if it matters when you made the purchase.
I think you’re right. I got in on the April drop, not later. But i am surprised they also got aug 30 as ship date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back