Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #332 of 2,613
Here's a suggestion CeeTee bin the autosleep and give it a normal power button the first thing I did when setting up the amp was disable that feature. I have personally never needed or used a sleep function on anything electronic apart from my file server and that's because I can use wake on lan and it's in a server rack in a different part of the house. Most of us sit near our headphone amps from my experience so switching it off is not a great hardship it's not like it's an electricity drinking 200w class a tube amp system!

I understand when you say it's functioning as you the developers intended I know I've been there with software development and don't get me wrong I absolutely love the amp. On the scale of things it's a pretty minor 'feature' as Microsoft would say but it's literally the only negative thing that I have found with the amp.

I've just ordered an lps for it - not that it's necessary but I've never liked using wallwarts and at the price you could hardly expect to have one included.

Thanks for releasing such a fantastic piece of gear just one question when are you coming to Europe? I had to pay over £100 import duty, it was worth it but isn't it time massdrop broadened their geographical horizons I know monoprice have. In many instances it's cheaper for Europeans to import directly from China rather than via massdrop.

Thanks loving my 789 :)

P. S. LPS in the same style case? If your sticking with this form factor I would buy one also for my CTH. or make the empty cases available for purchase with no predrilled holes for diyers or case transplants.

Okay thank you. I'm still debating whether this is a worthwhile upgrade from the Aune X7S. I have that paired with the Massdrop Grace SDAC.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #333 of 2,613
I have had my amp for a few days now and I have to say it is darn good for the asking price. Like others have said, good clean power and a nice punchy sound that can be bright at times. If I had to nitpick, it would be the staging seems wonky to my ears. It doesn't seem to handle directional audio as well as I would like, and the stage can be flat.

That is compared to my Mjolnir 2 via with good NOS tubes via Gumby a2 balanced out, so YMMV.

Overall I would say that it is very well built, has good connectivity, and priced very well. You could do a lot worse!

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #335 of 2,613
I have had my amp for a few days now and I have to say it is darn good for the asking price. Like others have said, good clean power and a nice punchy sound that can be bright at times. If I had to nitpick, it would be the staging seems wonky to my ears. It doesn't seem to handle directional audio as well as I would like, and the stage can be flat.

That is compared to my Mjolnir 2 via with good NOS tubes via Gumby a2 balanced out, so YMMV.

Overall I would say that it is very well built, has good connectivity, and priced very well. You could do a lot worse!
listening done via the gumby with the thx?

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #337 of 2,613

Can you describe the wonky sound stage a bit more? I'm trying to decide if this is a worthwhile upgrade to the Aune X7S.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #338 of 2,613

Comparing tube sound to good solid state like this seems normal the stage is more flat on the THX. If anything, the tubes artificially widen the sound and the solid state is more faithful but I guess better not to open that can of worms.. :D Just saying I'm not surprised you note that change.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #339 of 2,613
mine better be a new unit. i had to finally send mine back and im still waiting for a replacement. and also waiting for the second unit i ordered from the second big drop they had. im a bit annoyed at this point honestly. i paid for 2 new units and i will meticulously look them both over and make sure i dont see any signs of handling or repair just to be sure. ill be getting the monoprice unit also and most likely if they compare well enough to the massdrop ill prob sell one of my massdrop unit and have one of each.

I received mine yesterday, and closely inspecting it I have no doubt it is pristine and absolutely brand new. I can also say that having listened to it with my Yggy for a few hours it is everything the reviews say, transparent, powerful, flexible and very well thought out.

I just ordered a second one for use with my Gumby.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #340 of 2,613
How is the single-ended vs the XLR? I've read that LCX Single ended is quite inferior to it's XLR output (balanced or unbalanced). I'm not buying an XLR for all my headphones, so does anyone think the THX isn't worth using only Single ended?

I'm using mine single ended....and for me its sound is what I wanted, deep bass, very resolving highs and outstanding overall. I'm extremely impressed.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #341 of 2,613
I received mine yesterday, and closely inspecting it I have no doubt it is pristine and absolutely brand new. I can also say that having listened to it with my Yggy for a few hours it is everything the reviews say, transparent, powerful, flexible and very well thought out.

I just ordered a second one for use with my Gumby.
Nice. Congrats!

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #342 of 2,613
Comparing tube sound to good solid state like this seems normal the stage is more flat on the THX. If anything, the tubes artificially widen the sound and the solid state is more faithful but I guess better not to open that can of worms.. :D Just saying I'm not surprised you note that change.

This.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #343 of 2,613
I'm using mine single ended....and for me its sound is what I wanted, deep bass, very resolving highs and outstanding overall. I'm extremely impressed.

I'm only using SE at the moment as well with my Aune X7S but I wouldn't mind going XLR at some point. I'm really itching to grab this amp due to all the great reviews but I'm not sure if it's a significant enough upgrade from the X7S. Though it may pair that much nicer with my Massdrop Grace SDAC.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #344 of 2,613
Can you describe the wonky sound stage a bit more? I'm trying to decide if this is a worthwhile upgrade to the Aune X7S.

Yes, it is like 3 blobs. Left right and center.

Fair point, thats why I worded my post the way I did. Even still, this amp suffers from the three blobs. None of my other SS amps are like this. Mjolnir 2 w/lisst, Asgard 2.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #345 of 2,613
Yes, it is like 3 blobs. Left right and center.

Hmm interesting. So the sound doesn’t sweep back and forth across the sound stage. I wonder if it’s due to the DAC or headphones you’re using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back