1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Mar 1, 2018.
First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last
  1. Baten
    Massdrop R2R + THX AAA might be a superb combo? Coloration + distortionless amplification?

Wonder if the R2R will ship and re-drop though T_T

2. heliosphann
    I'll find out myself in a few weeks.

Baten likes this.
  3. Th3Drizzl3
    my 789 replacement finally got shipped out i have no idea what the hold up was. i would have given impressions but i sent mine back the button was getting very annoying to deal with. i also have the rdr coming i cant wait for both to get here i really liked the 789 from the time it was here. im hoping the new unit might even have a straight selector switch but it seems normal to be off to the right on the 2nd setting.

Baten likes this.
  4. areek
    Thanks for the comment, bro. I have made my decision to purchase this.

heliosphann likes this.
  5. Th3Drizzl3
    i agree with helio on the r2r11 the amp section i could have done without imo otherwise the dac is overall very nice and should compliment the 789

6. Fatdoi
    Has anyone took inside shots of the unit or are there any internal pics on google?

7. Baten
    From ASR:

[​IMG]

Alcophone likes this.
  8. Fatdoi
    thanks, great shot

9. MacMan31
    I've been looking at this amp for a while now but I already have an Aune X7S paired with the Massdrop Grace SDAC. Would this be in any way an upgrade over the X7S? The THX 789 would run me about $500 Canadian. Is it worth it if I already have the X7S which I got for $225 Canadian used?

10. Baten
    Well yeah. It is a little better. You could sell the X7S and keep the better amp. Whether it's worth it is another thing (but I would say yes).

11. MacMan31
    Hmm okay. I still don't have a balanced cable yet for my 6XX and 58X so I'm just using SE. But long term you'd say the 789 would be the better option? I do think it would look better paired with the SDAC sitting on top. My music is mostly 320Kbps rips from CD or a few iTunes downloads here and there if I want a one off song from an artist.

12. Baten
    Well here are the distinctions:

- What sensitivity are your headphones? The aune has a high output impedance which matches well with HD650/HD800/planars etc, but will have super boomy bass with low ohm (sensitive) headphones. The THX AAA has low output impedance which guarantees a flat frequency(impedance) curve with virtually all headphones.

- Distortion wise the THX is only a little better, it's arguable you will hear any difference here. The output (mis)matching might make you believe otherwise, though.

- Finally both the SE and balanced on the THX are superb. Balanced has more power but otherwise they should sound the same. On the Aune, the balanced has more power but also more noise (again, arguably not audible unless with noise sensitive headphones like IEMs). If you have sufficient power on SE you don't need balanced though.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  13. MacMan31
    The 6XX and 58X are 300Ohm and 150Ohm respectively I believe. Those are the only two I'm using so far. But I'm looking at some nice closed backs like the Fostex options on Massdrop. I don't use IEMs as I don't like earphones sticking into my ears. I don't think I'm expecting much difference in sound signature as the DAC being used will be the same. I have more than sufficient power on SE but I've heard that balanced can have a wider sound stage though that may also depend on the headphones being used.

14. Baten
    The Fostex might not match well with the Aune.

15. MacMan31
    Hmm okay. Would it match better with the THX 789?

First

Back
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Next

Last