Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #3,301 of 4,845
Hey guys,

Lots of info here, so I apologize if this was covered, but since this is the 58x, would this be considered a lesser headphone than the 598? I've always thought the 598 to be mediocre, but these seem to be getting rave reviews and wonder if they are worth picking up, and if they are actually superior to the 598. Currently using Amiron Home with Sony ZX 300.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #3,302 of 4,845
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,303 of 4,845
@Sharpty

I just noticed what Kameleon really is that is often talked about in DIY Audio Heaven. It's a device that you can place analog modules tuned specifically for individual headphones to linearize their response. This is not done in software or dsp, it's done purely analog. I'm really interested in this.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/kameleon/

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #3,304 of 4,845
Hey guys,

Lots of info here, so I apologize if this was covered, but since this is the 58x, would this be considered a lesser headphone than the 598? I've always thought the 598 to be mediocre, but these seem to be getting rave reviews and wonder if they are worth picking up, and if they are actually superior to the 598. Currently using Amiron Home with Sony ZX 300.

Thanks
The Amiron are more refined and smoother but the 58x can hold their own, plus the 58x are much easier to drive. The Amiron need power to sound their best, they can get loud enough but without power they won't be as dynamic. The 300 pairs well with the 58x, esp with a balanced cable but even in Single Ended it sounds really good. I loved the Amiron but since I'm more of a DAP user while laying in bed the 58x made more sense.

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #3,305 of 4,845
@Sharpty

I just noticed what Kameleon really is that is often talked about in DIY Audio Heaven. It's a device that you can place analog modules tuned specifically for individual headphones to linearize their response. This is not done in software or dsp, it's done purely analog. I'm really interested in this.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/kameleon/

Ya, I just discovered that the other day as well. Definitely an interesting piece of kit.
I think digital EQ still has more advantages personally. You can be much more precise (kameleon only has a few filters per custom EQ) with digital and you can change it to suit your taste on the fly. With the quality of digital processing today, I think you would be hard pressed to hear the difference between a good digital EQ and an analog one. It seems like it would actually be easier to keep the signal clean with digital since it's done before the DAC and doesn't add any physical components to your signal chain.

The way I see it, if digital EQ is used throughout the recording/producing process, the negative effect of adding one more at the end is trivial compared to the improvement

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3,306 of 4,845
Hey guys,

Thanks

Superior might not be the best word, the build quality of the 58X is better for sure, but response wise they are just different.

58X Raw response
massdop 58x.PNG

598 Raw response (grey lines)
598 if.PNG

EDIT: Ya i guess they are superior lol

*oops,double post :cold_sweat:

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #3,307 of 4,845
Superior might not be the best word, the build quality of the 58X is better for sure, but response wise they are just different.

58X Raw response

598 Raw response (grey lines)

EDIT: Ya i guess they are superior lol

*oops,double post :cold_sweat:
You don't want to compare measurements of two different headphones from two different rigs.

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3,308 of 4,845
You don't want to compare measurements of two different headphones from two different rigs.

This tru, I couldn't find any measurements of both headphones from the same rig unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,309 of 4,845
The Amiron are more refined and smoother but the 58x can hold their own, plus the 58x are much easier to drive. The Amiron need power to sound their best, they can get loud enough but without power they won't be as dynamic. The 300 pairs well with the 58x, esp with a balanced cable but even in Single Ended it sounds really good. I loved the Amiron but since I'm more of a DAP user while laying in bed the 58x made more sense.

So you don't think the 300 drives the Amiron enough to really get the most out of them? I think they do sound really good, but I'm curious about these, especially at that price.

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #3,310 of 4,845
So you don't think the 300 drives the Amiron enough to really get the most out of them? I think they do sound really good, but I'm curious about these, especially at that price.
I sold my Amiron before I got the 300, so I'm not 100% sure. From recent memory of the Amiron, the 58x does actually sound a bit more open and a bit better imaging. I don't think you will find a night and day difference between the two BUT at $150 for the 58x it's relatively cheap enough to not regret the purchase either way.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #3,311 of 4,845
Sennheisers seem to have good QC in consistancy. I like to see consistancy in measurements to get a general idea of the characteristic to align with what I hear.

I own 2 pair of HD58X and both sound identical when doing quick A/B comparisons. However I have no idea how they measure.

I dabble with EQ (using a Loki) but for the most part I am content with the original sound of most headphones but do minor tweaks to dial them in to my liking.

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,312 of 4,845
This helped answer a lot of my questions. I'll be ordering a pair and comparing it with the Amiron.

Jan 14, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #3,314 of 4,845
@Sharpty I'm trying the GitHub EQ for the 58X in my LG V20 and it's indeed better than Oratory's one.

Edit: also I'd like to share this song, there's some hiss from the recoding but the quality is amazing anyway, I love the drums in this song, the best part for me is 2:24 onwards, how the song slowly grows, gets more involving, the sax on the left ear, the piano on the right and this amazing drum, when there's drum kick you can feel the impact, its so clean and well recorded for how this album is, I love it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back