Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 15, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #2,882 of 4,845
These two headphones sound really different but keep in mind that my HE400 is modded quite a bit when you read this.
If you like bass that hits hard, is full and very dynamic then the HE400 is one of the better headphone around but keep in mind that the mids are a little too recessed unless you do a few mods to the grill side which for me was placing a hard rubber pad (2" square) in the middle of the grill that I made for them. My pair also has sorbothane in the cups and I'm using Focus pads with attenuation rings and have changed over the pad mounting rings of the cups to the newer metal ones which have a notch to keep Focus/Focus-A pads from rotating. The highs of the HE400 are more extended than the HD58X by a bit but this also means that it can be sibilant for some. I keep both since they are so different sounding that they make good/great contrasting presentations of any track.

Here a picture of my HE400 along side my HD58X:

One other thing, HE400 is a bit harder to drive since its not as efficient as the HD58X.
Thank you very much! Bass that is full and hits hard sounds awesome, however more treble is a drawback since I'm a bit sensitive and even the 58x is too much sometimes. I guess a 58x with HE-400 bass would be perfect, but at this prices trades are to be made.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,883 of 4,845
These headphones seem like an excellent option for people wanting to get into the sennheiser open-back club without having to worry about the amplification behind them like you do with the 600/650.

Wouldn't say that. I'd say HD58x are for people who want some of the mid/treble for the HD600 with improved bass of the HD650.

Or in my case, a complement to the K712, with a more intimate and warmer sound.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,884 of 4,845
So, recently I got to try out a very expensive tube amp. I was so disappointed.

For whatever reasons, people love distortion, LP and tube amps will have their place for a long time. I personally prefer the clean sound vs distortion, I can't stand distortion. I don't understand the desire to add distortion and noise to music/sound.

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,885 of 4,845
It depends on how you perceive the sound of the HD660S and HD58X, to some its fairly close and to others they are quite different and which you prefer is a mater of what you are looking for. To me the HD660S is closer to the HD600 while the HD58X is closer to the HD650. The only thing that the HD660S and HD58X really have in common is that they both sound quite good on almost any gear while the HD600 and HD650/6XX needs a decent amp to get the most out of them.

Another way to put it would be if you like a more neutral sound signature then get the HD660S if you and a fun easy to listen to sound then get the HD58X, if you like a little bass then HD58X, smooth highs with better mids get the HD660S.

@RahulSangal, the choice between HD58X or HE4XX would be based on what you prefer. While I haven't heard the HE4XX yet I do have a HE400i, HE400 and HE560 and have heard HEX, HEX-v2, HE1K,, HE6 and HE500 and I think it would depend on the genre of music that I was listening to it would make me reach for HD58X or HE400i.
Thanks for the response. I had heard that if you remove the foam between the grill and the driver that they sounded really close to the 660S. Wondering if that is true or not, or if there are any worthwhile mods that would improve the sound.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,887 of 4,845
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #2,889 of 4,845
@DavidA which do you prefer for mainly edm and orchestral classical?

HE400 for EDM, its one reason I love my modded HE400 since its keeps the bass under control.

HD700, HD800, T1gen1 or HE560 for orchestral classical but for smaller trio/quartet HD650 or HD58X can be quite for the more intimate close up sound.

@SSandDigital, don't make the assumption that all tube amps are distorted since there are some that are quite clean and what's to say that solid state amps don't add distortion either? And with most decent amps these days the distortion is so low that normal humans can't hear it and most of the distortion is from the transducer, not the amp.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,890 of 4,845
Thank you very much! Bass that is full and hits hard sounds awesome, however more treble is a drawback since I'm a bit sensitive and even the 58x is too much sometimes. I guess a 58x with HE-400 bass would be perfect, but at this prices trades are to be made.
The closest headphones that I have that sort of combine the highs/mids of HD58X with bass of HE400: Ypsilon S1/S2, EL-8 open or SRD-34 (modded). I'd try to see if you can audition any of these but they are not the most common ones around so it might be difficult.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,891 of 4,845
I listen to a wide range of genres, but between those two I listen to more classical than edm.
oops replied to the wrong one. My bad.

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,892 of 4,845
Perfectly put Dave. When I hear people say distortion/ tubes. I think back to when I was a kid and my Dad had some sweet vintage tube receivers. Totally different times these days.
I'd say from my experiences with previous gear that I've owned. The Schiit Valhalla was the second cleanest sounding amplifier I've ever owned next to the Lyr. And it's otl. Go figure. Lol.
HE400 for EDM, its one reason I love my modded HE400 since its keeps the bass under control.

HD700, HD800, T1gen1 or HE560 for orchestral classical but for smaller trio/quartet HD650 or HD58X can be quite for the more intimate close up sound.

@SSandDigital, don't make the assumption that all tube amps are distorted since there are some that are quite clean and what's to say that solid state amps don't add distortion either? And with most decent amps these days the distortion is so low that normal humans can't hear it and most of the distortion is from the transducer, not the amp.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #2,893 of 4,845
Perfectly put Dave. When I hear people say distortion/ tubes. I think back to when I was a kid and my Dad had some sweet vintage tube receivers. Totally different times these days.
I'd say from my experiences with previous gear that I've owned. The Schiit Valhalla was the second cleanest sounding amplifier I've ever owned next to the Lyr. And it's otl. Go figure. Lol.
LOL, the Valhalla2 that a friend had was a disappointment since it was too clean (SS like) and even rolling different tubes didn't make it much warmer. But its a great example that not all tube amps are warm and gooey or are distorted.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,895 of 4,845
Is the bass significantly worse than he 400? Because for everything else the 58x seems to fit my wants
I wouldn't say "significantly worse" but it is different mainly due to one being a planar driver and one being a dynamic driver. I'd say go with the 58X if you only can get one but if you can I'd say get both since a used HE400 should be fairly cheap these days. Also if you go with the HE400 you might have to change the ear pads and do a few mods if they are stock and while they are fairly efficient they are not quite as forgiving of poorly quality tracks like the HD58X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back