Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Nov 21, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #2,911 of 4,845
I want to get a 58X, but I noticed not one people claimed its soundstage is too small. Does it much smaller than DT990 or HE400i?
Can anyone give me some comments on the soundstage of 58X compared to 990 or 400i? I've sold both of them, but now I like KEF M500 very much. How about 58X compared with M500, especially the soundstage? I suppose as an open back cans, 58X should have a larger soundstage than M500. Otherwise, it really makes no sense.
Thanks
Just for clarity, Sound Stage is more about 2 channel music audio,
Surround Sound is more about 6-channel (5.1) or 8-channel (7.1) audio.
So it is Sound Stage 2-channel music audio that your talking about?

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,912 of 4,845
I want to get a 58X, but I noticed not one people claimed its soundstage is too small. Does it much smaller than DT990 or HE400i?
Can anyone give me some comments on the soundstage of 58X compared to 990 or 400i? I've sold both of them, but now I like KEF M500 very much. How about 58X compared with M500, especially the soundstage? I suppose as an open back cans, 58X should have a larger soundstage than M500. Otherwise, it really makes no sense.
Thanks

I find the soundstage of the 58X to be much narrower than the 990 Pro's, but even though I'd prefer them to be wider, I'm still very impressed with their sound overall.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #2,913 of 4,845
Thanks
I find the 58x has a much narrower soundstage than the 400i, with a closer presentation. Running my Vali2 with a 12au7 tube the 400i can provide an almost out of head experience - esp. with Ambient music, whereas the 58x is always right in line with my ear.

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,916 of 4,845
I think I finally experienced "imaging" I always heard this stuff, but for me it was limited to something on the right or left only (even with the Sennheiser).

I was listening to a live Radiohead album

And on the song Like Spinning Plates I can feel some 3D imaging, the piano in the right, it feels like it's a little in front of me, in a diagonal, not just to my right, also the spectators in the intro are on the left side and futher back. And now this is more subjective so I don't know if it's straight placebo but I got used to how acoustic guitars sound in the Sennheiser so in True Love Waits it feels like the guitar is a little down and the the singer's voice, that is close to the mic, is above the guitar sound.

Listening again using my generic PC DAC and through Spotify I don't really feel the same effect, I noticed this using the LG V20, Neutron player and MP3 320kbps files, I'm not sure what's the weak link in the chain but the song has this effect using the V20.

I really think the placebo might be strong here but it was the first time I really noticed this dimension in music, sounds in front of me and on my back (before it was a flat left and right only).

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,917 of 4,845
I find the soundstage to be very 3D/holographic and natural sounding. It doesn't extend outward like a HD700/800 which can sound artificial with a lot of music. It's on par with the HD600/650 and HE500 imo. Maybe a little more extended in width than them. Definitely more depth than the HE500.

The 58x soundstage reminds me of the Stax 2170 system that I had a chance to listen to for a few hours at a friendly get together.
It's the only can I've ever heard sound remotely like the stax. The stax is very holographic with excellent depth and height in the stage. you just don't get that 3+ feet nuances out from the head, but your body feels like it's in an entity of music. About as much as I can really explain it. It's just different lol.

All subjective though. Just an opinion. Cheers

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,918 of 4,845
You know, when you read through all these comments, you’d think we’re all talking about a $500+ set of headphones with all the positiveness. This just goes to show everyone (“most” but not all opinions) how good these are for the money. Even then, they’re a very good value and excellent pair of headphone when not even talking about money.
Just buy them, “listen to them” and enjoy! Best bang for the buck out there in my most humble opinion.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,919 of 4,845
Well put bro!
You know, when you read through all these comments, you’d think we’re all talking about a $500+ set of headphones with all the positiveness. This just goes to show everyone (“most” but not all opinions) how good these are for the money. Even then, they’re a very good value and excellent pair of headphone when not even talking about money.
Just buy them, “listen to them” and enjoy! Best bang for the buck out there in my most humble opinion.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,921 of 4,845
I find the soundstage to be very 3D/holographic and natural sounding. It doesn't extend outward like a HD700/800 which can sound artificial with a lot of music. It's on par with the HD600/650 and HE500 imo. Maybe a little more extended in width than them. Definitely more depth than the HE500.

The 58x soundstage reminds me of the Stax 2170 system that I had a chance to listen to for a few hours at a friendly get together.
It's the only can I've ever heard sound remotely like the stax. The stax is very holographic with excellent depth and height in the stage. you just don't get that 3+ feet nuances out from the head, but your body feels like it's in an entity of music. About as much as I can really explain it. It's just different lol.

All subjective though. Just an opinion. Cheers

When I use these for gaming at home, I do find that I'm not lacking any directional cues. Of course, the games I've been playing aren't the greatest for sound design (need to find out what games might be worth it just for that... Battlefield, I guess? I hate online though...). I suppose the ultimate in staging might be something like the Audeze Mobius.

Another wrinkle is that I've been messing with the crossfeed settings on my amp as well. That adds an additional wrinkle to the staging equation. Nothing really conclusive; just trying to find what sounds nice.

Also. People are selling these is the for sale forums for just over $100. It's such a steal even at $150. Lol

I've been debating trying to get on good terms with my sister's boyfriend by suggesting/sending up some headphones for the holidays (cans for Christmas? audio for advent? The possibilities go on). My sister told me he uses a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones, though, which makes me wonder if something about his environment is no bueno for open backs. Trying to weigh my options here... HD58X would be my immediate go-to for sure.

Nov 23, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #2,922 of 4,845
When I use these for gaming at home, I do find that I'm not lacking any directional cues. Of course, the games I've been playing aren't the greatest for sound design (need to find out what games might be worth it just for that... Battlefield, I guess? I hate online though...). I suppose the ultimate in staging might be something like the Audeze Mobius.

Another wrinkle is that I've been messing with the crossfeed settings on my amp as well. That adds an additional wrinkle to the staging equation. Nothing really conclusive; just trying to find what sounds nice.

I've been debating trying to get on good terms with my sister's boyfriend by suggesting/sending up some headphones for the holidays (cans for Christmas? audio for advent? The possibilities go on). My sister told me he uses a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones, though, which makes me wonder if something about his environment is no bueno for open backs. Trying to weigh my options here... HD58X would be my immediate go-to for sure.
I say go for it man! For a lightly used in the classifieds here for what they’re selling for? I’d jump on it for yourself (if you don’t have them already) at this selling price. $100-$120???........Like stealing candy from a baby or at least one of us big kids.
Even for your bro-in-law... Hell, he’ll find a way or use for them. :)
I’m really not a fanboy of these persay but know a value when I see one for sure. If that makes me a fanboy?..... label me away!

Edit: need to read better. I see you own them already. I’d still get him these for that special Christmas gift.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,923 of 4,845
Soundstage is a funny thing. A lot of people buy cans based on that particular part of sound. Out of everything I've owned. My favorite portrayal of soundstage has been from the likes of the 58x/600/650 and HE560.
I suppose if you enjoy what you're hearing there's really no bad purchase.

My only reservation on the mobius having never heard it is 2 things. Planar and closed back (I think?). But who knows. They may be the cats a$&. Lol.

Snag your sisters BF up a pair 58x. Lol. Even a phone drives them pretty decent.

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,924 of 4,845
I say go for it man! For a lightly used in the classifieds here for what they’re selling for? I’d jump on it for yourself (if you don’t have them already) at this selling price. $100-$120???........Like stealing candy from a baby or at least one of us big kids.
Even for your bro-in-law... Hell, he’ll find a way or use for them. :)
I’m really not a fanboy of these persay but know a value when I see one for sure. If that makes me a fanboy?..... label me away!

Edit: need to read better. I see you own them already. I’d still get him these for that special Christmas gift.
I'm still in the "testing the waters" phase with my sister's boyfriend... not so sure about labeling him with the BIL label yet :angry:.
Nah, who am I kidding? I'm a huge softie that couldn't tell my sister to be cautious if he were an actual convicted felon... I've got to at least pretend that I'm doing my job as the older brother, watching out for the younger ones. Such is my curse.

Back to headphones, if life success were measured in having things that are strong values for money, I'd buy a hundred units of this and live easy for the rest of my life. I'll try to probe my sister a bit further to see if there's some reason open-backs are really no good to use. The thing I have going for me is that they're both music people so, hopefully, they'll have an appreciation for the finer audio in life. It can be difficult to proselytize for this hobby.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,925 of 4,845
So, out of curiosity, I've been watching a few reviews of the 58x in the past few days. I'm either giving these things more credit than they're actually worth, or they've caused most reviewers to go with a pricing bias. For example, the only phrase I've heard in all of the reviews but Zeos' one is "Of course they're not as clear/dynamic/resolving/detailed/whatever as the HD 660s, and are also outperformed by the 600 and 650". No one seems to actually bother to verify that...? I mean, "Of course" leads me to believe that they mean "of course the 660s is a far more expensive headphone, so it MUST be better". But how many of these reviewers actually risk using their ears with no bias regarding price? For all his faults, I know Z does. That's why I love this guy, even though he sometimes misses the mark on some things.

@tolis626 , good luck and hope it turns out a winner, be sure to post some pictures of the work in progress, I always love seeing how creative people can be and I the look of natural wood.
Well, if by "creative" you mean dumb, I can be very creative. :p

I'll be sure to post everything I do though! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back