Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 30, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,967 of 4,845
This is my first post on my new account(forgot the password to my old account). Anywho, I just got these guys in and I'm extremely impressed to say the least. I've tested my favorite songs and everything comes out better than every headphone I've ever heard, though I'd like to add that everything else I have is sub-$150(V-Moda M-100, ATH-IM50, Monoprice cheapos, MEelec M9/M6, etc.). Despite my favorable impressions, I do have one issue. I only have an S8+ and my laptop to run these so I have to crank up the volume almost to the max to hear the details and sound sig. I'm looking for suggestions as to which Amp/DAC portable device might bring out the best as far as power. I understand that this also depends on which genres that I prefer, so my preferences are Rap, R&B, Jazz, Alternative, and some pop. My main goal is to have the 58x's to run more efficiently on my laptop/phone and to avoid making these more 'clinical" sounding. Thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #1,968 of 4,845
Are you sure that you have not accidentally reduced player volume? Your laptop must have extraordinary weak output if you must turn the volume near the max. My Honor 8 gives me quite a lot of headroom too.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,969 of 4,845
Someone has replaced the pads with the 600 series? Pads is the only thing I don't like in the 58x, too close to my ears

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #1,970 of 4,845
This is my first post on my new account(forgot the password to my old account). Anywho, I just got these guys in and I'm extremely impressed to say the least. I've tested my favorite songs and everything comes out better than every headphone I've ever heard, though I'd like to add that everything else I have is sub-$150(V-Moda M-100, ATH-IM50, Monoprice cheapos, MEelec M9/M6, etc.). Despite my favorable impressions, I do have one issue. I only have an S8+ and my laptop to run these so I have to crank up the volume almost to the max to hear the details and sound sig. I'm looking for suggestions as to which Amp/DAC portable device might bring out the best as far as power. I understand that this also depends on which genres that I prefer, so my preferences are Rap, R&B, Jazz, Alternative, and some pop. My main goal is to have the 58x's to run more efficiently on my laptop/phone and to avoid making these more 'clinical" sounding. Thanks in advance.

I was in the same situation. Ended up with the the DragonFly Red and that is perfect match for me. My other setup before I sold it was a Chord Mojo and a pair of Aeon Flow Closed. I actually prefer my current setup for a significantly lower price....

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,971 of 4,845
Are you sure that you have not accidentally reduced player volume? Your laptop must have extraordinary weak output if you must turn the volume near the max. My Honor 8 gives me quite a lot of headroom too.
Very sure. There was little detail in every song that I tested. I probably checked around 80 songs and listened to them at least for a minute each. Every song required me to turn the volume to 80-85% minimum. I did a bit of digging on this site and there's an official thread on the Samsung S8/S8+ and members stated multiple times that the built-in DAC(I believe it's a referred to as a DAC) was underwhelming. It may be that your Honor 8 drives the 58x more efficiently. Again, it doesn't sound bad coming from the S8+, but I do have to turn the volume up to hear what I feel is a proper rendition of the intended sound the 58x is made to put out. And yes, my laptop isn't much better, though I look to tweak the sound a bit and listen more carefully when I have more free time.

I was in the same situation. Ended up with the the DragonFly Red and that is perfect match for me. My other setup before I sold it was a Chord Mojo and a pair of Aeon Flow Closed. I actually prefer my current setup for a significantly lower price....

Good information. The fact that you prefer your 58x set-up over a vastly more expensive set-up speak volumes. I was.considering the Dragonfly Black, but now I will take a look at Dragonfly Red as well.

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,972 of 4,845
Just tried my HD58X with S8 and its not bad but I do have to turn the volume up to 80-85% like you to get to my preferred listening level. Also tried the HD58X with the headphone jack of one of my computer systems and its quite good but again its at 70-80% volume level but it doesn't sound like the built in headphone amp is struggling to drive it. One of the benefits of the HD58X and HD660S is that they are a bit easier to drive and both sound quite good with almost any gear unlike the HD650/600 which pretty much need an amp IMO. I most use a Lyr2 or Ember with the HD58X but its not a night and day difference from my S8, just a bit more extended in both directions and a bit larger sound stage.

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #1,973 of 4,845
Just tried my HD58X with S8 and its not bad but I do have to turn the volume up to 80-85% like you to get to my preferred listening level. Also tried the HD58X with the headphone jack of one of my computer systems and its quite good but again its at 70-80% volume level but it doesn't sound like the built in headphone amp is struggling to drive it. One of the benefits of the HD58X and HD660S is that they are a bit easier to drive and both sound quite good with almost any gear unlike the HD650/600 which pretty much need an amp IMO. I most use a Lyr2 or Ember with the HD58X but its not a night and day difference from my S8, just a bit more extended in both directions and a bit larger sound stage.

This is good. I'm glad you can see things from my perspective. Yeah, again, it sounds good when I have the volume above 80-85%. My issue is I don't want to develop a hearing impairment by constantly listening to the 58x at near max volume. Efficiency is my main goal so I can hear the details without blowing my eardrums out. I'll look at some video reviews about the Ember and Lyr2 out of curiosity. So far I'm favoring the Dragonfly Red's due to it's portability, but if those two drive the headphones better, than I can definitely go for one of those.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,974 of 4,845
This is good. I'm glad you can see things from my perspective. Yeah, again, it sounds good when I have the volume above 80-85%. My issue is I don't want to develop a hearing impairment by constantly listening to the 58x at near max volume. Efficiency is my main goal so I can hear the details without blowing my eardrums out. I'll look at some video reviews about the Ember and Lyr2 out of curiosity. So far I'm favoring the Dragonfly Red's due to it's portability, but if those two drive the headphones better, than I can definitely go for one of those.

I think you need to consider that if you will be using your phone as a source then the benefits of an amp migh be / will be lost since you are still using the DAC of the phone so you can't amplify something (details) that are not there, My Ember and Lyr2 are connected to either a Bimby, Bifrost Uber, or UD301 which are a little better DACs than the one in my S8. If you want portability then I'd suggest a DAP, I still use my old Fiio X3 with my HD700 at times and the HD58X does sound quite good on my X3ii which you might be able to get really cheap since the third generation is already out. My GF just told me she likes the HD58X out of the X3ii better than the Bimby/Ember combination since its has a bit more edge to the treble but just keep in mind that these are very subtle differences and something that not everyone will notice. To me the X3ii just highlights the slight grain in the HD58X and why I like the Bimby/Ember combo better.

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,975 of 4,845
I think you need to consider that if you will be using your phone as a source then the benefits of an amp migh be / will be lost since you are still using the DAC of the phone so you can't amplify something (details) that are not there, My Ember and Lyr2 are connected to either a Bimby, Bifrost Uber, or UD301 which are a little better DACs than the one in my S8. If you want portability then I'd suggest a DAP, I still use my old Fiio X3 with my HD700 at times and the HD58X does sound quite good on my X3ii which you might be able to get really cheap since the third generation is already out. My GF just told me she likes the HD58X out of the X3ii better than the Bimby/Ember combination since its has a bit more edge to the treble but just keep in mind that these are very subtle differences and something that not everyone will notice. To me the X3ii just highlights the slight grain in the HD58X and why I like the Bimby/Ember combo better.
Oh ok, I didn't even consider that. I have been doing a little research on this device that's called m0 and I think it's by a company called Shanling(sp?). Also, I've read great things about the Fiio players and the X3ii fits my budget. If it's compact and it'll drive my headphones effectively, than I'm all for it. I have so much to research now!:darthsmile: Thanks again for the insight.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,976 of 4,845
Oh ok, I didn't even consider that. I have been doing a little research on this device that's called m0 and I thing it's by a company called Shanling(sp?). Also, I've read great things about the Fiio players and the X3ii fits my budget. If it's compact and it'll drive my headphones effectively, than I'm all for it. I have so much to research now!:darthsmile: Thanks again for the insight.

For the price of the Dragonfly Red you could also go for the FiiO X3 III. Two dac chips, support for DSD/DSF 64, excellent sound and enough headroom to drive the HD 58X.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,977 of 4,845
Anything that gives out half decent power is more than enough power wise for HD 58X. Power alone is not the main aspect though. HD 58X works best with amp that has low output impedance. It should lower than 20 ohms. Also the actual DAC and amp quality matter. Power is cool and all but if the amp has crosstalk, dynamic range compression issues or noise issues....

HD 58X and HD 6XX are both quite sensitive and I have problems with them being too loud (paired with AE-5 even on low gain).

But the point is: anything half decent should have power enough to make you go deaf when using your HD 58X.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,978 of 4,845
Galaxy S8+ -> Spotify (LDAC BT) -> Earstudio ES100 (balanced output) -> HD 58X = Audio Bliss

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,979 of 4,845
Oh ok, I didn't even consider that. I have been doing a little research on this device that's called m0 and I thing it's by a company called Shanling(sp?). Also, I've read great things about the Fiio players and the X3ii fits my budget. If it's compact and it'll drive my headphones effectively, than I'm all for it. I have so much to research now!:darthsmile: Thanks again for the insight.

You could also check out the Radsone ES100, a lot of people have stopped using their DAPs after getting one. This device is probably the best bang for the buck I've come across so far in my audio journey.

Edit: I was too slow Slow beat me to the ES100 :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,980 of 4,845
You could also check out the Radsone ES100, a lot of people have stopped using their DAPs after getting one. This device is probably the best bang for the buck I've come across so far in my audio journey.

Edit: I was too slow Slow beat me to the ES100 :wink:
Yep, slow on guitar, fast with other things lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back