Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #1,996 of 4,845
I sometimes go to bed with these on with the missus by my side. She falls asleep no issues.

They do leak, like any other open back, but is not the end of the world.
Great, so let's say 60% of volume wouldn't be so tragic? :beyersmile: I would not listen to music at full volume...

And what about dac/amp? Also, how are they for indie, folk, rock (Brandi Carlile, Sigur Rós, Florence + the machine, Katie Melia, etc), female vocals? I think I read somewhere that they are really good all-rounder. :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,997 of 4,845
Great, so let's say 60% of volume wouldn't be so tragic? :beyersmile: I would not listen to music at full volume...

And what about dac/amp? Also, how are they for indie, folk, rock (Brandi Carlile, Sigur Rós, Florence + the machine, Katie Melia, etc), female vocals? I think I read somewhere that they are really good all-rounder. :)
They do leak sound but its not like 100% leakage, I say about 60-70% leakage.

They don't really need a amp and they are pretty easy to listen to and make decent all-rounders. IMO they are not as smooth as the HD650/6XX (which need an amp) since they have a bit of grain in the treble and I've noticed the mids can be shouty at times with some tracks so some female vocals might sound a bit too forward at times.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,998 of 4,845
Personally, I think these are good for classical due to it's clean sounding nature. The string instruments particularly I like out of these. I don't know if people refer to this as imaging, but it has this echo type effect with certain track (not really resonant type, but more of a virtual dome effect that the track puts out, and I think it expresses it well).

Something like this, it does quite well. With a bit of empty space, and focused. This is the best version of Over the Rainbow I've heard! This is an extremely good recording. The recording has realistic tonality that the clapping sounds realistic (some live recordings you can tell the poor recording quality by the realism of the clapping and audience, since they are easier to decern realistic qualities).

She's fortunate enough to run into good engineers. I wish Adele would do the same, her vocals can be better mastered.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,000 of 4,845
Still think these are crazy value headphones and might be my favorite pair over more expensive sets (6xx, m1060s. isine 20, Mitchell and Johnson mj2)

They do all music well. Very dynamic and no real weak areas in the big 3 (bass, mids, treble) sub bass is also there, techno on these sound super tight and deep. Imaging is fantastic for classical in my experience with them too.

can put these on and go through my entire music library without feeling like i need to reach for another pair, which is great

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,002 of 4,845
Still think these are crazy value headphones and might be my favorite pair over more expensive sets (6xx, m1060s. isine 20, Mitchell and Johnson mj2)

They do all music well. Very dynamic and no real weak areas in the big 3 (bass, mids, treble) sub bass is also there, techno on these sound super tight and deep. Imaging is fantastic for classical in my experience with them too.

can put these on and go through my entire music library without feeling like i need to reach for another pair, which is great
How would you compare its dynamics against the 6XX?

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,003 of 4,845
How would you compare its dynamics against the 6XX?

Just as good in my opinion, with certain genres sounding better because of the extended sub bass and treble extension. I also haven’t heard any grain on them personally.

They’re definitely in the same tier as the 6xx in my opinion. They would be more like sidegrades to each other because I could understand someone choosing either of them based on preference. They’re not super different though. To my ear with the 58x you trade some fullness in the mids for better sub bass and treble extension. But the mids certainly aren’t bad or thin, the 6xx/650 just have an unparalleled body to their mids that some people love and others hate.

Any other questions, let me know.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,004 of 4,845
I've been listening to Infected Mushroom on my 58x the last few days, and it sounds incredible. The bass is so punchy and well controlled, and everything else sounds so very nicely balanced, all in the right amounts.
Which of their albums do you like the most? For me it's classical mushroom.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #2,005 of 4,845
Just as good in my opinion, with certain genres sounding better because of the extended sub bass and treble extension. I also haven’t heard any grain on them personally.

They’re definitely in the same tier as the 6xx in my opinion. They would be more like sidegrades to each other because I could understand someone choosing either of them based on preference. They’re not super different though. To my ear with the 58x you trade some fullness in the mids for better sub bass and treble extension. But the mids certainly aren’t bad or thin, the 6xx/650 just have an unparalleled body to their mids that some people love and others hate.

Any other questions, let me know.
Really cool, thank you!

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #2,006 of 4,845
58x.ar_070010.jpg

This combo amazed me, very satisfactory sound in few grams. The Stratus/hd800 is not killed, but is bleeding profusely.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #2,007 of 4,845
@SilverEars, like the version of Over the rainbow that you liked to but this is still my favorite:

I was lucky to have heard Iz perform this song live and its much better sounding than this youtube version unfortunately its doesn't sound too good on the HD58X to me since I can hear a touch of grain at times in the ukulele.

not a great sounding vid but I like the style

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #2,008 of 4,845
Been using them without amp since I got them, no problem, if you are like me and listen on low volumes. I think that while they are really good all-rounders, they really shine on Folk, Jazz and Classical, in fact they seem to bring something very pleasing to all genres really :).
That's really good to know! I listen to music on medium volume or maybe a bit higher, but it's never 100%... I was wavering between this one and HD 598cs cause I was concerned about the leak and the necessity of amp... But since those don't seem to be such a big deal, I think I'll go for HD 58x. A lot of reviews favors them over 589, plus they are cheaper. :)

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #2,010 of 4,845
Most of their stuff to be honest, but I particularly like Vicious Delicious, Converting Vegetarians, and for something newer, Return To The Sauce is very good.
I've been having Pink Nightmares lately lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back