Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 30, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,981 of 4,845
Received today.

HD58X needs about 1/3 of max volume out of my iphone7. Same as HE4XX and T-X0.

A little more comfy than 4XX. I have the headband adjusted to max. Sounds a little closed sounding compared to 4XX but maybe thats a planar specialty, and so far maybe the only thing the 4XX has over the 58X. 4XX is actually pretty similar but it has flaws in freq response and 58X seems to not at all. WOW

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,982 of 4,845
I want to clean my HD58X pads (cant believe how much junk they've accumulated over a week of use), i heard i need to grab them on the bottom and pull up. It didnt work for me, but i think i could get them off if i rest my knuckles on the inside where the foam is, but the driver is under that. Can i put my hand there without poking the driver, is there any grill or hard mesh in front of the driver?

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,983 of 4,845
Driver is protected by a plastic grill, pads should come out by just pulling them anywhere really. Lost of force might be required to click them back on though.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,984 of 4,845
Maybe it's the flu or pad & foam change but currently I prefer to use HD 58X over HD 6XX. I do like the punch bottom end, crisp & clear top end and speed. Currently the vocals sound just fine too (texture wise too). Well, the flu definitely makes a difference... But anyway, I'm going to give HD 58X a bit more head time for a change.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,985 of 4,845
Maybe it's the flu or pad & foam change but currently I prefer to use HD 58X over HD 6XX. I do like the punch bottom end, crisp & clear top end and speed. Currently the vocals sound just fine too (texture wise too). Well, the flu definitely makes a difference... But anyway, I'm going to give HD 58X a bit more head time for a change.
Different times we can hear differently (than how we remember, etc..). Our bodies arn't in the same condition all the time. I've faced this too many times to think my impression at one point is undeniable than at some other time.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,986 of 4,845
I want to clean my HD58X pads (cant believe how much junk they've accumulated over a week of use), i heard i need to grab them on the bottom and pull up. It didnt work for me, but i think i could get them off if i rest my knuckles on the inside where the foam is, but the driver is under that. Can i put my hand there without poking the driver, is there any grill or hard mesh in front of the driver?

I have a roll of masking tape on hand, specifically to clean furry earpads of the HD650 type. Every couple days or so, I will tear a portion and stick on the earpad and peel off the gunk. I will use four pieces...tearing a fresh sticky piece as needed.

I have never washed my HD650 pads...the material all ways looks like new. They are a decade old and I have owned them since new. Other than a tiny paint chip on the headband...which happened by itself, my HD650, barring the collapsed headband foam, looks new. The well broken in earpads are so comfortable...and still look like new with the regular sticky tape cleaning.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,987 of 4,845
images (7).jpeg

Senheisser HE90
4021568236_86cc72b2df_b.jpg

Senheisser HE60

It's undeniable. The chassis of the $150 HD58X is an offspring of Orpheus and baby Orpheus.

I refuse to stray from my assertion (opinion), that the HD58X is a superior headphone to my HD800S.

Having just finished The Last of Us on PS4 For the first time, mostly using the HD58X... I just finished playing the Left Behind DLC with my HD800S. There was better clarity in Ellie's voice with the HD58X and the HD800S gets boxy sounding in Ellie's voice. It can't be the recording if the HD58X can clearly resolve it with better clarity.

images (6).jpeg

Here is the chassis of the New Orpheus.

Why I am so vocal about this is because of the tribal warfare waged many years ago. We lost many members in those days...well, no one died. But many were banned.

It was the HD650 and K701 war. Sennheiser vs AKG. The war of the Previous Flagships.

A major publication declared the then new AKG K701 headphone to be superior to the previous champion. The citizenship of Head Fi was quick to crown this new champion their new king.

But a small pocket of resistance fought valiantly to defend the honour of their deposed king. Vocal they were...loudly they hammered away at their keyboards.

The creators of the HD650 sought to create a new challenger to the K701. From deep within the secret HQ of Senheisser... various secret magical formulas were tested. The day came, when the new challenger was unleashed upon the kingdom of Head Fi.

The citizens of Head Fi were quick to put their existing King to the guillotine and hail their new King, the Mighty HD800.

And so peace was finally restored upon the Kingdom of Head Fi.

Or was it?

As the Kingdom expanded and the youthful population exploded, tales were abound of an old king. The myth of this old king grew as the tales compounded. The young listened eagerly.

"So you mean to tell me there was a time when there was this entity called Bass? What is this thing called Bass father?

"What?" Asked the father...as his hearing has been ravaged by the new Treble King.

"Bass? Father, you were telling me about bass", the young daughter replied.

Meanwhile...from distant lands...a warrior leader was amassing supporters...a new type of warrior, developed using magic lost in the ages of time. The creators now known as Audeze was hard at work creating a new Hybrid Challenger to the Game of Thrones.

My point is...I forgot what my point was. I think I might have gotten carried away there.

Ummm yes. HD58X equals good.

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #1,988 of 4,845
I've been comparing the 58X with a warm headphone, and realize that this headphone isn't really a warm headphone. Bass is well controlled that hardly has any bloominess to the mids. It's just really quite an inoffensive headphone that really doesn't come much forward in response besides the 5-6k (where the main articulation is). It's a clean signature due to not being really warm. Despite the quantity of bass, it's not warm. It has the impact and release, but not hard impact, and it's a bit on the softer side (clean and smooth impact not really articulated), so it's not such an offensive headphone unless you are most sensitive to 5-6k (in which I don't think it's really that elevated to my ears compared to relatively bright headphones). The bass is quick responsive and doesn't sound to have closed-ness in it's sound (don't hear any resonance).

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,989 of 4,845
I've been comparing the 58X with a warm headphone, and realize that this headphone isn't really a warm headphone. Bass is well controlled that hardly has any bloominess to the mids. It's just really quite an inoffensive headphone that really doesn't come much forward in response besides the 5-6k (where the main articulation is). It's a clean signature due to not being really warm. Despite the quantity of bass, it's not warm. It has the impact and release, but not hard impact, and it's a bit on the softer side (clean and smooth impact not really articulated), so it's not such an offensive headphone unless you are most sensitive to 5-6k (in which I don't think it's really that elevated to my ears compared to relatively bright headphones). The bass is quick responsive and doesn't sound to have closed-ness in it's sound (don't hear any resonance).

These headphones aren't warm, at all. You describe them very well, they have an impact on the bass, but none of the Senn warmness. I'd even go as far as saying they may even have a mild V-Shaped tone to them, impactful bass, yet sparkly non sibilant highs, and the mids are just a tad recessed.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,990 of 4,845
I agree that they're not as warm or mid forward as the 600/650. Compared to 700/800 , they're definitely on the warmer side of things and more mid forward. Me personally consider them dead neutral and balanced between all 4 above.
I'd also say that the 58x image better than the lot above as well. Best imaging out of any can I've heard to date. They image like high end iems. Very reminiscent of my old custom Earsonics Em3.
All subjective though.
Still can't believe what I paid for these , and what they deliver. Lol
These headphones aren't warm, at all. You describe them very well, they have an impact on the bass, but none of the Senn warmness. I'd even go as far as saying they may even have a mild V-Shaped tone to them, impactful bass, yet sparkly non sibilant highs, and the mids are just a tad recessed.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,991 of 4,845
That's what I think as well. I think it just needs a bump in the 3k to bring the mids up (this is why certain tracks sound more recessed than others). I don't know if you can have such precise control over headphone FR as a designer.

It's clean, and a bit soft at the same time to characterize it. I would say it's clear in a respect (this is due to no warmth bleed, or I'd say not really warm), but also soft in the cleanliness to be not highly resolute sounding (particularly in the mids area, but not due to muddiness or anything like that, I think it's just recession as it's clean sounding).

Some tracks sound pretty clean and crisp, with the kind of fast and clean responsive bass. Which I appreciate about it's capability. There's a reason why the headphone fits for modern pop sound such as Imagine Dragons. The track works quite well out of it, as I like listening to them out of this headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,992 of 4,845
How's the leakage on this HPs? Would a person who seats one meter from me in a quiet environment hear everything I'm listening to (if the music isn't at full volume)? I'm looking to buy my first pair of quality headphones and I stumbled on this one on massdrop, but I'm concerned about the leak... And do they sound good without dac/amp? I still don't have one, but I'll probably buy that later.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,994 of 4,845
I've been listening to Infected Mushroom on my 58x the last few days, and it sounds incredible. The bass is so punchy and well controlled, and everything else sounds so very nicely balanced, all in the right amounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back