Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #1,953 of 4,845
Got the replacement pads today. They are more roomy than the ones that came with HD 58X. Just enough to make a difference. The ones that came with HD 58X are maybe a bit more beveled but not as deep. Maybe it's a lottery (or maybe they manufacture those in different places) but my right ear prefers the replacement pads (and the ones that came with HD 6XX). :hushed:

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,954 of 4,845
So now I'm lost here, see, the 58X is my first open headphone, all others are simpler ones. Because of price I thought I could finally got a good pair, since I pay, with import fees and exchange rates, about 4 times or even more for headphones. It is a thing that if I miss my buy, it is a tremendous blow financially.
So since I got them, literally my listening to music life have changed, I wake up itching to put them on my head, I never heard anything so soft and powerful and... I don't even know how to explain, simply put, these headphones made me a happier person, but!
I had plans, to save a little, and buy a good dac/amp and exactly the HD800s by around march next year, since I feel completely fulfilled with the 58X for now.

On my mind, I was imagining that when I finally get the 800s it would be such a shock compared to the 58X (though I can't picture sound better than it for now), as the 58X was a shock compared to my other headsets/headphones.
So... no ? there is no such gigantic difference ? :)

I mean, here I am trying to imagine sound more tonally tasteful and powerful to feel, and while I cant picture it, I thought that the 800s would be it...

Also, on your previous post, where you posted the picture of them side by side, I was also amazed, as I thought the 800s was like... way bigger ^-^
Well, when I opened the 58X box I was like "it is so small and ... fluffy looking", while before I thought it would be very bulky, from videos and images it looked so big.

It's all about personal preference If you're not interested in a very wide soundstage and loads of details a lot of headphones will be "better" then the HD800S.

To me the HD58X doesn't hold a candle to the HD800S simply because the signature of the HD800S is more to my liking and to me feels a lot more refined. Of course a huge YMMV will apply here (obviously) but I'm just sharing a different view between these two great headphones (for the record the HD58X are probably my second favorite Sennheisers).

Aug 29, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,955 of 4,845
Got the replacement pads today. They are more roomy than the ones that came with HD 58X. Just enough to make a difference. The ones that came with HD 58X are maybe a bit more beveled but not as deep. Maybe it's a lottery (or maybe they manufacture those in different places) but my right ear prefers the replacement pads (and the ones that came with HD 6XX). :hushed:

Stock Senn earpads, right? I do find my ears tend to be a tad crowded with the 58x earpads

On the earpad topic… been ages since I've owned Senns. From what I remember of my old pairs is those earpads had the mounting rings (more like a flange, really) directly attached to the pads. Is this still the case (just too lazy to take them off and check myself)? IIRC old style wouldn't be compatible with any aftermarket pads without some surgery - and I just got an email about the new "micro-suede" earpads from Brainwavz

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,956 of 4,845
Stock Senn earpads, right? I do find my ears tend to be a tad crowded with the 58x earpads
Yeah, Sennheiser 050635 pads. Made in Germany "for HD 545/565/580". No idea how old batch these actually are. :p

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,957 of 4,845
How do you know if you have or not the “right” felt? Unless you measure his headphones and yours to see if the sound is the same, there’s no way to know. You could have been using the “right” felt and just because you don’t like how it sounds you think it’s not.

Because his is the green one, and mine is the red one. 50/50 vs 85/15. his.PNG mine.jpg

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,958 of 4,845
So now I'm lost here, see, the 58X is my first open headphone, all others are simpler ones. Because of price I thought I could finally got a good pair, since I pay, with import fees and exchange rates, about 4 times or even more for headphones. It is a thing that if I miss my buy, it is a tremendous blow financially.
So since I got them, literally my listening to music life have changed, I wake up itching to put them on my head, I never heard anything so soft and powerful and... I don't even know how to explain, simply put, these headphones made me a happier person, but!
I had plans, to save a little, and buy a good dac/amp and exactly the HD800s by around march next year, since I feel completely fulfilled with the 58X for now.

On my mind, I was imagining that when I finally get the 800s it would be such a shock compared to the 58X (though I can't picture sound better than it for now), as the 58X was a shock compared to my other headsets/headphones.

I mean, here I am trying to imagine sound more tonally tasteful and powerful to feel, and while I cant picture it, I thought that the 800s would be it...

Also, on your previous post, where you posted the picture of them side by side, I was also amazed, as I thought the 800s was like... way bigger ^-^
Well, when I opened the 58X box I was like "it is so small and ... fluffy looking", while before I thought it would be very bulky, from videos and images it looked so big.

You remind me if when I first bought my HD650, my first audiophile headphone...it drove me berserk. For the first time I realised wow, music playback reminds me of happy days when I played the drums, the sound is similar.

I bought other headphones that other people said were better, like K701...but no. I was so excited when the original HD800 was released and when I heard them...it was like all hope of a better HD650 were dashed.

Please try to have a listen to the HD800S before commitment. They sound nothing like any of the HD6 series. I don't hear that they are any more detailed than the 58X at all. They have a fog masking a lot of ambient tails evident in the recording at the centre to upper mids, the 58X is miles better here and images better by miles...my HD800S, driven balanced...ha, not even close... it's hilarious...the price difference.

The photo makes these headphones look similar in size because of the angle...if I took a side profile shot if those headphones so you can see the circumference squarely, the HD800S are huge. And this huge cup is fogging up details.

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,959 of 4,845
You remind me if when I first bought my HD650, my first audiophile headphone...it drove me berserk. For the first time I realised wow, music playback reminds me of happy days when I played the drums, the sound is similar.

I bought other headphones that other people said were better, like K701...but no. I was so excited when the original HD800 was released and when I heard them...it was like all hope of a better HD650 were dashed.

Please try to have a listen to the HD800S before commitment. They sound nothing like any of the HD6 series. I don't hear that they are any more detailed than the 58X at all. They have a fog masking a lot of ambient tails evident in the recording at the centre to upper mids, the 58X is miles better here and images better by miles...my HD800S, driven balanced...ha, not even close... it's hilarious...the price difference.

The photo makes these headphones look similar in size because of the angle...if I took a side profile shot if those headphones so you can see the circumference squarely, the HD800S are huge. And this huge cup is fogging up details.

Your post proofs my point perfectly, it's all about personal preference. I personally was pretty underwhelmed by the HD650 and would easily choose the Q701's over them if I was forced to have only one of them.

I think the way you describe the HD58X as better than all other headphones you've compared them with is because they suits your preferencea perfectly. Imo they don't excel in any particular area but offer a very easily digested sound that works great with a wide variety of music and sources.

One could easily turn your arguments against the HD800S around the other way and say that the smaller size of the HD58X makes them more intimate and congested sounding in comparison to the HD800S. Some people will prefer one, some the other and yet some will probably enjoy both for their respective merits (I belong to these).

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,961 of 4,845
:frowning2: Ok.
But, haha, thanks really, I'll be mindful of my expectations then, it's just that I got so enamored with the sound of the 58X, that while I feel completely fulfilled with them (like, no joke, as you say the 650 drove you berserk, haha, I also feel as if I'm going crazy, the 58X hits so deep, but do so with such delicacy, it shakes my feelings like nothing before ), I still wondered what else there could be, kind of the way you describe happened to you :)
Better read well to experiences than to jump on buying things, I feel now. I'll see if I can find a friend that can lend me one for some days before anything.
Very insightful, thanks really ^-^

Yeah, you can't beat try before you buy if it's possible.

Since you're obviously very found of the HD58X there's definitely a chance that the HD800S are not for you. Or you might find them to be a great performer that offer something completely different from the HD58X. Only your ears can tell you which...

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,962 of 4,845
I wasn't, like I said in my first message, " I reverted the mod, which was very easy, and it really does sound more pleasurable in stock form to me".
Maybe it is because I used another type of felt that it sounded more harsh for me. For now I'm using stock, I'm very happy with it in stock form really, just tried the mod because I was curious. If I do find that specific felt, I might try again :) (because I'm still curious haha, but that's for another time ^-^)

Nice to see someone from Brazil as well here. I'm glad you liked the HD58X I hope I can get my hands on one soon, if you can find a nice felt in Brazil please PM me because I'm having trouble to find a proper felt as well...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,963 of 4,845
Then I would have no more foam to use it stock :O ! haha
But it's K, I really love the sound in stock form really. When I did the mod, after one hour of hearing I was feeling like going back already ^-^

A 22mm punch could be used to punch a hole dead center in the grille foam piece. Take the 22mm circle punched out and adhere it to the driver magnet normally like you would for the felt. The remaining foam with the 22mm hole dead center in it could be placed back under the grille where the 22mm circle would fit into the hole and go back to single piece look and sound...

And if you want something that will tilt your expectations of 'headphones' take a listen of some STAX Lambdas (L300, L500, and L700) if you ever have a chance.... you can get a good Lambda setup (used SR-L300 with used SRM-323S electrostatic driver) for under $1k and they will be beyond an HD800 in clarity, speed, and bass with and give some of the best, non fatiguing, effortless highs you'll hear in existance. The best bass of any headphones I've yet heard when driven off a high powered amp setup and some EQ dialed in for filling in the subbass. HD58X sound quality will be like your older headphones in comparison next to a STAX Lambda.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,965 of 4,845

I have to agree with @peter123 that its really a personal preference when it comes to sound. For me the HD58X is decent compared to my other headphones but a bit down the list if I had to rank them. I don't have a HD800S but have borrowed one from a friend a few times but it was mostly to compare to my HD800 which is like the difference between the HD650 and HD600. One flaw of the HD58X is the grain in the treble that is quite bothersome at times with some tracks where the HD800/800S are quite smooth with very little to no grain. Pictures of my "other" headphones:
Table-Top-2.jpg

Grado-Ypsilon-Nhoord-2.jpg

There is quite a bit of difference between the HD800/800S and the HD58X, sound stage and frequency/tone are the biggest ones. The HD58X like the HD660S have the advantage of sounding quite good on almost any gear while the HD800/800S along with the HD600/650/6XX do need an amp to show their potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back