Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 4, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,621 of 4,845
I don't want to start a big argument here, but I believe that J The Killer has stated he has difficulty hearing any difference. Might I posit that if he is only playing the file from a Thinkpad W530 with an inexpensive Realtek audio chip with no other DAC or amplification involved that we need to look no further for an explanation?!?!
You are probably correct.

Back to topic: I still prefer the HD650 for vinyl. Keep in mind almost 100% of my vinyl is metal of some kind. The HD650 just handles crappy, old, and grainy recordings better which is the vast majority of the music I enjoy for some reason. Heavy distortion on the HD650 is just unbeatable, and I am glad it gives me a reason to keep the HD650. For every other genre, and especially movies, the 58X is simply excellent. Anything with a deep bass and well produced is just superior on the HD58x in comparison.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,622 of 4,845
My Thinkpad W530 soundcard drives 58X and 599 fairly loud at 50% level and also reaches up to 24bit-192kHz. I cannot play them louder than 70% volume for more than a minute. Do I still need an external DAC/Amp to pickup the nuances between these headphones?

Moreover, I heard 599 resolves better than 598 so a direct comparison between 599 and 58X would be very helpful. They are priced almost same ~$150 which makes them competitors in that sense too.

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,623 of 4,845
My Thinkpad W530 soundcard drives 58X and 599 fairly loud at 50% level and also reaches up to 24bit-192kHz. I cannot play them louder than 70% volume for more than a minute. Do I still need an external DAC/Amp to pickup the nuances between these headphones?

Moreover, I heard 599 resolves better than 598 so a direct comparison between 599 and 58X would be very helpful. They are priced almost same ~$150 which makes them competitors in that sense too.

Ability to play loud has nothing to do with sound quality...Ist generation Beats Studio got plenty LOUD. Properly driving a headphone doesn't mean you make it louder, it means you have more than enough power behind it to fully bring out details, nuances, and low end presence the drivers are capable of - you are starving it and effecting it's performance otherwise. An underpowered headphone will not produce the full sound it is capable of when it is actually properly powered. It's better to have great external DAC and powerful, precise, and detailed amp that you would only really use at say 15-20% level than using onboard laptop audio at 50+% level... there is a noticeable difference in the sound quality. You should be able to have headphones playing at ~75db and sounding PHENOMINAL...

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,624 of 4,845
I use my Thinkpad W530 laptop and it drives both 599 and 58X at almost exactly same loudness at the same volume level. The nuances may be more evident with an even nicer DAC/Amp but for now the resolution and detail are good enough.

The most important question for me right now is: Do the 6' series (600/650/6XX) pads fit perfectly into 58X?
The differences between headphones are much more obvious than the differences between 128 and and 320, IMHO.
Actually regarding bit rates it also depends on the source of the files... I’ve had the best experiences listening to lossless music from Tidal. I do feel the differences switching from Spotify to Tidal (and back) was even more audible than switching DAC/amps of the same price range.
But like AutumnCrown said, upgrading/sidegrading headphones bring the most noticeable changes

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,625 of 4,845
Actually regarding bit rates it also depends on the source of the files... I’ve had the best experiences listening to lossless music from Tidal. I do feel the differences switching from Spotify to Tidal (and back) was even more audible than switching DAC/amps of the same price range.
But like AutumnCrown said, upgrading/sidegrading headphones bring the most noticeable changes

I don't want to be that guy, but not even musical geniuses whom work with music 24/7 whilst having perfect pitch can tell lossless vs 320 so I'm going to have to say that's a heavy dose of placebo effect.

Adding to the discussion: between my HD598 and 58X, the only real audible difference for me is that in the 58X, the midbass hump is gone and bass is heavily extended. The sound signatures aren't very different, but I know that the 599 does sound different from my 598 but couldn't say how.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,626 of 4,845
You are probably correct.

Back to topic: I still prefer the HD650 for vinyl. Keep in mind almost 100% of my vinyl is metal of some kind. The HD650 just handles ****ty, old, and grainy recordings better which is the vast majority of the music I enjoy for some reason. Heavy distortion on the HD650 is just unbeatable, and I am glad it gives me a reason to keep the HD650. For every other genre, and especially movies, the 58X is simply excellent. Anything with a deep bass and well produced is just superior on the HD58x in comparison.
The vast majority of music I enjoy is the old, schiity and grainy too.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,629 of 4,845
Nope.
17-3_5mm-sj-hd580-2.jpg
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5832. 16 core hybrid cable. I have one of these on one of my iems. My ATH-IM03 and it opened up that earphone and sounds their absolute best. I suspect it will do the same for the HD58x. I have a lot of sources with 2.5mm balanced out and own a 4.4mm Ibasso adapter to use with my ZX300. If this cable ends up making the HD58x sound even better. I might try a pure silver cable.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,630 of 4,845
Nope.
17-3_5mm-sj-hd580-2.jpg
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5832. 16 core hybrid cable. I have one of these on one of my iems. My ATH-IM03 and it opened up that earphone and sounds their absolute best. I suspect it will do the same for the HD58x. I have a lot of sources with 2.5mm balanced out and own a 4.4mm Ibasso adapter to use with my ZX300. If this cable ends up making the HD58x sound even better. I might try a pure silver cable.
Thanks

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,632 of 4,845
Was the cable more than the headphones themselves?

Amazon has a couple 2.5mm TRRS balanced male cables for the Senn HD 650, 6XX, 58X, etc. for use with the various DAPs that accept them. They're around 60 bucks US.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7NWYW...olid=2B93L0AYZIPE6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RN21Q2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A22X29F5BSK656&psc=1

Seem to have decent reviews. I'm thinking of getting one once my 58X arrives. I've currently got a FiiO X5III.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,633 of 4,845
I always buy my balanced cables in 2.5mm as I use various adapters with them. I have several single ended to a female 2.5mm adapter to use with my amps ICan or IFI Black label or on my desk top rig NFB-5. For portable use my Shanling M3s, Pono, Cayin N5ii and Sony ZX300. Also use my Ibasso PB3 connected to my Ibasso DX90 for balance out or single ended. I bought that exact cable that I showed in my picture above. Have several Lunashops cables and they make some really nice cables for much cheaper than anything we can get in the US for anything similar.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,634 of 4,845
I signed up on massdrop... I can't believe how easy they made it to sign and order hardly filled anything out on my phone...logging in and posting on Head Fi is far more challenging.

Anyways... I have ordered a second pair. The first one I got off eBay...as an impulse purchase...forgot all about it untill there was a package at home.

Then I catch up on this thread having been mind blown by these crazy headphones...and was so relieved when Anarion finally got his...:joy:

I had no idea there was such a buzz going on with these headphones...when I pulled the trigger on the headphone purchase, the only thing I knew was that they might have HD660/HD700 drivers.

I finally compared these to my LCD2 and ... Well...The Jubilees are probably the best Senheissers I ever heard. And since I have a love hate relationship with my HD800S... I stand firm that when I get around to unpacking the HD800 and comparing to them that my mind likely won't change.

I have never bought two pairs of headphone or ever owned concurrently the same headphone twice no matter how value packed like the porta pros or px100.

But those that hear what I say know it... Senheisser has lost the corporate f.....g plot.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,635 of 4,845
I always buy my balanced cables in 2.5mm as I use various adapters with them. I have several single ended to a female 2.5mm adapter to use with my amps ICan or IFI Black label or on my desk top rig NFB-5. For portable use my Shanling M3s, Pono, Cayin N5ii and Sony ZX300. Also use my Ibasso PB3 connected to my Ibasso DX90 for balance out or single ended. I bought that exact cable that I showed in my picture above. Have several Lunashops cables and they make some really nice cables for much cheaper than anything we can get in the US for anything similar.

Thanks for the great info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back