Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,546 of 4,845
I am getting another set by the end of the week and my
6XXs I ordered months ago will get here tomorrow .

then I will have all but the 660s and I'm still curious about those but not for $450

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,547 of 4,845
Having both on hand, this is absolutely not an HD 660 S. It's also not an HD 580 or an HD 580 Jubilee. It's something else entirely.[/
As an owner of the HD 700 and HD 580 precision, how redundant is this purchase for me??
I heard the HD700 and they were very bright and loved them with classical and jazz.. Did not purchased them as they were expensive. Buying these 58X instead. I would not purchase if I had the 700.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,548 of 4,845
The second HD58X from the new drop is getting ready to ship out now... time to look into the mods and start figuring out the paint scheme. Undecided on grille color, needs to be something that goes well with Blue/green (thinking some kind of bronze)...and not sure if want to paint ALL the plastic around the cups or just the 'ring'...thinking just the 'ring' and leaving the rest black). Is the Jubilee badging easy to take off for sanding/painting purposes - how thin is it?

I'm not a modder by the true sense of the word, however I have tried different ear pads, tried other cables and re-terminated from SE to XLR, using my Loki but that is the extent of it and could be easily reversed. However, having ordered a 2nd HD58X I may be inclined to try some modding on it. Not sure what though considering that they are about as close to perfect as I have come across.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,549 of 4,845
The 700's were great cans. I bought them 3 different times. They're a very immersing can. They can't compete in midrange with the 58x, and the Soundstage has way better balance imo. With some music the 700's would lose center focus and become disconnected and cause fatigue. Even with the crossfeed circuit I built and ran in the chain. No doubt though , the 700's are excellent cans. Usually see them used around the $300 mark.
I heard the HD700 and they were very bright and loved them with classical and jazz.. Did not purchased them as they were expensive. Buying these 58X instead. I would not purchase if I had the 700.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,550 of 4,845
do you know if the 660s and the 700s have the same drivers as per the rumor suggests ?

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,551 of 4,845
I listened my HD 700 only few minutes and send it back. Never again. xD Some things just sounded sooo..... off.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,552 of 4,845
I found the time after work to do a like for like comparison between the Jubilees and the 650. I am reminded of how bad memory can be...and that there was a reason I went away from Delta Sigma conversion to Step Ladder DACs...there was a reason I went balanced all pure class a amplification.

Using the same amp and DAC that drove the HD650 balanced then unplugging the headphone from the cable and attaching the Jubilees.

I need to backtrack on my assumption that the HD650 had a better advantage in midbass and low mid reproduction. The Jubilees have a fraction better definition here. It just seemed that way because if how different these two do the upper mid and treble....the jump in quality is so great compared to the smaller increase down low.

Yet the Frequency response is near identical. The soundstage size is about the same, but the Jubilees produce a far sharper images with just astounding clarity, eveness and smoothness in the midst and treble.

The emotional connection I get from female vocals is startling... it's incredibly exquisite. My HD800S are truly slain.

Next time I will shoot them out with the LCD2...my successor to the HD650...my favourite headphone.

Only problem is, I already know the Jubilees have already won and my heart is already celebrating.

I have already heard things, felt things I never experienced before.
I would also say the high point for these are female vocals. Female vocals are best of what it does.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,554 of 4,845
I would pay more to get them with the HD6XX box .
I have been looking for a decent case but I just have a fetish for Sennheiser high end boxes lol

The Slappa large size case with the textured black nylon finish is excellent. $20 on Amazon. It fits all the larger headphones no problem. I have both my Sennheiser in one....HD 6XX and HD 58X, Fostex TH-X00 and my HIFIMAN HE4xx.

So yes.....I highly recommend this case.
1533062085383-324579273.jpg
15330621949771351609059.jpg

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,555 of 4,845
Anyone had a chance to compare them to HD660s?

I want to join the drop but I am not sure if they are worth having if I already owe 660s.

I own the 660s and I use them with my DAP. As has been previously stated, the 58x is easier to power and livelier. I find the bass and soundstage to be more satisfying than the 660s. The 660s are great headphones but more subdued than the 58x. There are some places especially with loud, distorted rock music that the 58x is kind of harsh. And the 660s can pick up some details I don't think you are necessarily going to hear in the 58x. But for $150 the instrument separation and soundstage are really difficult to beat for anything under $300 IMHO...

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,556 of 4,845
From reading this whole thread , the majority says that there's minimal differences between the two. The main reason why I passed on buying the 660s.
Anyone had a chance to compare them to HD660s?

I want to join the drop but I am not sure if they are worth having if I already owe 660s.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,557 of 4,845
I am getting another set by the end of the week and my
6XXs I ordered months ago will get here tomorrow .

then I will have all but the 660s and I'm still curious about those but not for $450
I joined in the latest HD 6XX drop (July) and just got email that they will ship it soon. Way over month earlier. Going to be interesting to see how these two compare.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,558 of 4,845
I joined in the latest HD 6XX drop (July) and just got email that they will ship it soon. Way over month earlier. Going to be interesting to see how these two compare.

me too and mine was on may 18th drop and I could have it tomorrow instead on end of august .

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,559 of 4,845
I impulse bought this yesterday and it shipped the same day. Should be here Saturday. First massdrop purchase as well.

I've been using the HD650 for about 5 years exclusively. This is my first headphone purchase in a long time. I hope they complement each other well. Just got new pads and a headband to replace the cracked and worn out 650 to allow for a more fair and accurate comparison. I have a feeling this won't be replacing the HD650 for me, based on the comments, but it will be fun for a little change.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #1,560 of 4,845
It's stuck on from my experience. It's easy to just put on some masking tape and cut off the excess. Totally up to your tastes on what to paint but I like the black accents from the metal bands personally. I think it'd look good to paint the grills the aqua color you were thinking of for the rings but I like how mine looks right now with the stock grey.
MO3oYiV.jpg

It's so beautiful.

Senheisser did the community a massive favour, selling these at this price, by making them look and feel like a schiity half arsed project...the cups, grille and bottom hinge is atrocious. The packaging was bare bones. Does not match the amazing sound quality at all, but hey. One for the battler.

I would also say the high point for these are female vocals. Female vocals are best of what it does.

You probably didn't mean to, but one can construe this as damning with faint praise. The human voice is not easy to get right...the female voice even trickier as they tend to cover more octaves than a male voice and more melodious to me. Get that right and most other things will fall into place.

There are no sudden peaks or dips in the voice range, it is smoother, airier and more articulate than its older siblings...they sound better to me than my HD800S, those are what...10 times the price?

I impulse bought this yesterday and it shipped the same day. Should be here Saturday. First massdrop purchase as well.

I've been using the HD650 for about 5 years exclusively. This is my first headphone purchase in a long time. I hope they complement each other well. Just got new pads and a headband to replace the cracked and worn out 650 to allow for a more fair and accurate comparison. I have a feeling this won't be replacing the HD650 for me, based on the comments, but it will be fun for a little change.

I am frankly bewildered beyond my wildest imagination as to how someone can say that the HD650 are better. The Jubi is the HD650...with a better motor.

It took exactly 10 years for me to find the true successor to my HD650. Exactly a decade ago I bought a brand new pair of HD650 which set me on this headphone journey of trying to succeed the damned thing!

I have only had two sessions with these Jubi and by the second session on the big rig...I am aware that these are the best headphones I have ever heard.

Oh how I wish I could listen tonight, but alas, I have no time... I just showered and one must wait about an hour for the eardrums to dry out before the hearing is normalised in frequency response...by then I will be in bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back