Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 30, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #1,516 of 4,845
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd599/

There's a graph comparing the two directly. From what I can read from the graph and my experience with the HD5 series (I've only demoed, never owned), the HD5 series will be warmer but a bit grainier and less mid focused. I like bass, but I don't like them too warm without proper extension. HD58X fits almost everything I want out of a headphone.

Personally I think the HD5 series has a bit wider soundstage, but not by much. The HD58X's soundstage width is average where I felt the HD6XX felt absolutely claustrophobic. However the imaging for the HD58X is top notch and gives a real sense of depth compared to my other headphones. It's more of an enveloping sound rather than a wide "left to right" stage if that makes sense.
If I understand the graph correctly then does it mean that 599 has more vocal clarity than 58X?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,517 of 4,845
If I understand the graph correctly then does it mean that 599 has more vocal clarity than 58X?
The HD58X (purple) in the 1-4k region has more presence and smoother in that graph than the HD599 (red). After a simple felt mod on the HD58X, they get even smoother around 4k.

Lower mids are also flatter on the HD58X making them more neutral than the HD599 but still retains a warm tilt.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,518 of 4,845
Oops, didn't see that the OP asked about the HD58XJ and HD6XX short cables. As far as I can tell, they're identical. It just makes sense from a financial perspective to just create one cable for all those f the massdrop collaborations.

HD 58X Jubilee and HD 6XX both use identical short 3,5mm cable. The long official HD 650 cable is really cheap though so worth it if you need longer.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,519 of 4,845
The HD58X (purple) in the 1-4k region has more presence and smoother in that graph than the HD599 (red). After a simple felt mod on the HD58X, they get even smoother around 4k.

Lower mids are also flatter on the HD58X making them more neutral than the HD599 but still retains a warm tilt.
Oh I thought 80Hz-200Hz is the vocal region and HD599 is higher in that region..what does that indicate really?

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,520 of 4,845
Oh I thought 80Hz-200Hz is the vocal region and HD599 is higher in that region..what does that indicate really?
That'd be the mid-bass region.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,521 of 4,845
Both HD 6XX and HD 58X Jubilee come with 1,8m cable which is apparently 6 ft. The possible official replacement cable (and as far as I know stock HD 650 cable) is 3m and with 6,35 mm plug.

Oh yah right...sorry for my confusion about the length of the short cable (being 1.8 meters) and the stock HD650 cable (being 3 meters). I edited my post. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,522 of 4,845
Did a quick scan of some piano-heavy material (Final Fantasy Piano Collections for solo and some Mozart piano concertos for piano in a mix of orchestral instruments), and I can say that it sounds great, in general. If you're treble sensitive, it could be problematic in louder sections of music up top, but not nearly as bright as some Beyers out there. If that's the case I might point you towards the 6XX.

Thanks! Somewhat treble sensitive but not in the extreme (had to send a set of DT-880s back but otherwise I'm tolerating my new F9 Pros). Strangely enough, my first gen Senn PX-100's with the reverse quarter mod seem to be the cans that I pick up when I just want to enjoy anything and everything, and they do piano very well. Just hoping that the 58X's have that same ability to, tonally, handle piano. I listen to a lot of ECM label stuff and they record piano extremely well, especially in the last few years. It's a real treat when you have the ability to get close or closer to the big bandwidth they get with their advanced piano mics and recording techniques. Thanks again for checking out the piano music and it sounds like the 58X will sound good in that dept!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,523 of 4,845
I wish someone who owns both HD58X and HD599 would make a proper comparison since I'm one of those who prefer lightness, comfort, one-sided cable and overall look and feel of HD598/599. I also like a decent soundstage, it's confusing some ppl say HD58X (as well as other HD6XX series) have poor or no soundstage at all, while others say it's actually not that bad, some even say it's very wide.

The Jube has one of the most natural soundstage you could find in a headphone. The HD650 could not hope to dig out the ambient information in the top end that is within the recording. These capture it, because of the precision in the treble. The 599s won't be even close.

The K701 and HD800 injects it's own ambience not found in the recording. The 650s cannot resolve it.

These stage far more like what is supposed to in the recording.

The HD650 has better tuneful bass to my ears and low mids are better rendered. When male voices are too chesty it's because the many monitor speakers couldn't resolve the recording flaw.

The Jubes exhibit the same weakness as most studio monitors and therefore becomes a benefit to accurately reproduce what the engineer heard.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,524 of 4,845
Is there anyone out there who has both the HD58X and HD650/6XX? If so, could you check something out for me? Using your HD58X, listen to a familiar musical track. Now swap out the short HD58X cable with the 6' cable from your HD650/6XX and re-listen to the same track with the HD58X. Do both cables sound identical, or not? Thanks.
Short cables should sound better (short path),I swapped to HD650 (10" long-original) cable few days after I got HD58x and couldn't tale the difference
BTW. I will be upgrading to silver/copper cable soon ,they deserve it

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #1,525 of 4,845
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,526 of 4,845
Thanks! Somewhat treble sensitive but not in the extreme (had to send a set of DT-880s back but otherwise I'm tolerating my new F9 Pros). Strangely enough, my first gen Senn PX-100's with the reverse quarter mod seem to be the cans that I pick up when I just want to enjoy anything and everything, and they do piano very well. Just hoping that the 58X's have that same ability to, tonally, handle piano. I listen to a lot of ECM label stuff and they record piano extremely well, especially in the last few years. It's a real treat when you have the ability to get close or closer to the big bandwidth they get with their advanced piano mics and recording techniques. Thanks again for checking out the piano music and it sounds like the 58X will sound good in that dept!

What a coincidence... unboxed my NOS pair of original PX100 last week... I had them unopened for a while and forgot about those... I bought them NOS a few years after destroying my PX100 on a balance mod gone awry.

They are awesome on my XBOX Controller headphone jack with Dolby Atmos turned on.

They do the left hand of the piano more resolutely than the HD650...they are better than the HD650 at its strength. They don't handle volume or big explosions well and will distort. The treble and upper mid is less articulate than the HD650 but isn't offensive.

The Jube will render the right hand high notes and the transient attack reliant nature of those high notes much better than the PX100 and HD650.

But the PX100 and 650 will delineate the left hand low note chords into individual keys much better than the Jube.

All these headphones have a very natural frequency response with near identical frequency responses.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,527 of 4,845
Google expensive audio cable vs coat hanger...

https://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

Not trying to reignite an ages old religious war... :)
Haha,this is so rubbish ....Google "overclocking" ,pretty much similar scenario,it only applies too very "few" chasing that last 3~5%
I don't own one single (HP) aftermarket cable ,at list not yet :) but you can't deny the facts when it comes to signal path or material conductivity ...been there ,done that
[img=https://abload.de/thumb/cimg1471pcfc2.jpg]

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,528 of 4,845
Thanks! Somewhat treble sensitive but not in the extreme (had to send a set of DT-880s back but otherwise I'm tolerating my new F9 Pros). Strangely enough, my first gen Senn PX-100's with the reverse quarter mod seem to be the cans that I pick up when I just want to enjoy anything and everything, and they do piano very well. Just hoping that the 58X's have that same ability to, tonally, handle piano. I listen to a lot of ECM label stuff and they record piano extremely well, especially in the last few years. It's a real treat when you have the ability to get close or closer to the big bandwidth they were picking up with their advanced mics. Thanks again for checking out the piano music and it sounds like the 58X will sound good in that dept!
What a coincidence... unboxed my NOS pair of original PX100 last week... I had them unopened for a while and forgot about those... I bought them NOS a few years after destroying my PX100 on a balance mod gone awry.

They are awesome on my XBOX Controller headphone jack with Dolby Atmos turned on.

They do the left hand of the piano more resolutely than the HD650...they are better than the HD650 at its strength. They don't handle volume or big explosions well and will distort. The treble and upper mid is less articulate than the HD650 but isn't offensive.

The Jube will render the right hand high notes and the transient attack reliant nature of those high notes much better than the PX100 and HD650.

But the PX100 and 650 will delineate the left hand low note chords into individual keys much better than the Jube.

All these headphones have a very natural frequency response with near identical frequency responses.

Yeah, I have a feeling that I will eventually mod the 58X per the HD58X evaluation pdf and that'll probably improve that lower midrange area of the piano left hand.

The PX-100 original is just a great headphone and they got so many things right with it. I've been tempted to pick up a pair of the PX-100II's but have heard varying accounts although Tyll apparently really liked them. Wonder what he thought about the originals.

I've long wondered about how the PX-100 would sound balanced. I can easily see that an attempt at that mod could go bad with the delicacy of its construction!

Curious about the acronym "NOS"?

EDIT: NOS=New old stock? Wow, if so, how did you get a hold of them?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,529 of 4,845
Haha,this is so rubbish ....Google "overclocking" ,pretty much similar scenario,it only applies too very "few" chasing that last 3~5%
I don't own one single (HP) aftermarket cable ,at list not yet :) but you can't deny the facts when it comes to signal path or material conductivity ...been there ,done that
[img=https://abload.de/thumb/cimg1471pcfc2.jpg]

I may have been into the audiophile world for nearly 50 years but I go out of my way not to step on anyone's opinion no matter how ridiculous the claim may be such as $60,000 amp stands that were supposed to improve sound..

when it comes to cables specifically Headphone cables if it's the right length and made of a pleasing material then I'm good..
if they are radio transmission resistant then that's a bonus but I have some speaker cable runs in my house of 100 Ft and made of pretty cheap 16 gauge wire and find it does just fine .

Headphone cable is somewhat different because you have to handle it frequently so if it's covered in nice cloth and does not cost much why not

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,530 of 4,845
Save money folks. Build your own cables. I didn't feel like making any cables, and planned on buying one that's longer than stock. I said fk it over the weekend and spent $35 to make a cable that I really want. Lol. Parts express has an awesome soldering station for $14.88. Don't laugh at the price. I've had the similar weller, and honestly the only difference is the burn proof cord connecting the wand. There plenty of reviews on it. I've used mine extensively soldering crossover, and array networks for horn loaded pa gear. Never an issue. Here's the link
https://www.parts-express.com/stahl...e-temperature-soldering-iron-station--374-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back