Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,531 of 4,845
Haha,this is so rubbish ....Google "overclocking" ,pretty much similar scenario,it only applies too very "few" chasing that last 3~5%
I don't own one single aftermarket cable ,at list not yet :) but you can't deny the facts when it comes to signal path or material conductivity ...been there ,done that
[img=https://abload.de/thumb/cimg1471pcfc2.jpg]

I may have been into the audiophile world for nearly 50 years but I go out of my way not to step on anyone's opinion no matter how ridiculous the claim may be such as $60,000 amp stands that were supposed to improve sound..

when it comes to cables specifically Headphone cables if it's the right length and made of a pleasing material then I'm good..
if they are radio transmission resistant then that's a bonus but I have some speaker cable runs in my house of 100 Ft and made of pretty cheap 16 gauge wire and find it does just fine .

Headphone cable is somewhat different because you have to handle it frequently so if it's covered in nice cloth and does not cost much why not

I may have been into the audiophile world for nearly 50 years but I go out of my way not to step on anyone's opinion no matter how ridiculous the claim may be such as $60,000 amp stands that were supposed to improve sound..

when it comes to cables specifically Headphone cables if it's the right length and made of a pleasing material then I'm good..
if they are radio transmission resistant then that's a bonus but I have some speaker cable runs in my house of 100 Ft and made of pretty cheap 16 gauge wire and find it does just fine .

Headphone cable is somewhat different because you have to handle it frequently so if it's covered in nice cloth and does not cost much why not
Careful there, you might ignite a riot!! :)

I agree - my biggest issues with cables have to do with build and length...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,532 of 4,845
The second HD58X from the new drop is getting ready to ship out now... time to look into the mods and start figuring out the paint scheme. Undecided on grille color, needs to be something that goes well with Blue/green (thinking some kind of bronze)...and not sure if want to paint ALL the plastic around the cups or just the 'ring'...thinking just the 'ring' and leaving the rest black). Is the Jubilee badging easy to take off for sanding/painting purposes - how thin is it?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,534 of 4,845
How about 58x for symphonic work compared to 600? Can OTL drive 58x well? Thanks

Have not heard HD600, but the HD58X absolutely excells at symphonic and jazz music, which I'm actually listening to right now - FLAC rip from my XRCD24 copy of Hiroko Kokubu's 'New York uncovered' album:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,535 of 4,845
Female vocals are ridiculously soul piercing with these cans. I thought the HE500's, were the greatest midrange cans EVER! I'm rethinking that now. The air and imaging in the vocals on these things blows my mind. So natural sounding.
Most holographic cans I've heard to date! The stage is perfectly balanced! They're not the HD800's, and they're not the HE500's. To my ears they're the complete package mang! Good times fam!
:beerchug:

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #1,536 of 4,845
The second HD58X from the new drop is getting ready to ship out now... time to look into the mods and start figuring out the paint scheme. Undecided on grille color, needs to be something that goes well with Blue/green (thinking some kind of bronze)...and not sure if want to paint ALL the plastic around the cups or just the 'ring'...thinking just the 'ring' and leaving the rest black). Is the Jubilee badging easy to take off for sanding/painting purposes - how thin is it?
It's stuck on from my experience. It's easy to just put on some masking tape and cut off the excess. Totally up to your tastes on what to paint but I like the black accents from the metal bands personally. I think it'd look good to paint the grills the aqua color you were thinking of for the rings but I like how mine looks right now with the stock grey.
MO3oYiV.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,537 of 4,845
The naturalness in presentation of the sound 'shape' and holographic instrument separation along with their dynamics and excellent clarity with a somewhat smooth sound really make these something else. Will have to say they are absolutely my most favorite openbacks next to my STAX Lambdas. Focal Elears are dissapointing next to these... the HD58X is a wholely unified, perfectly balanced package...the Elears somewhat of an uneven mess.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,538 of 4,845
Keeping the grille grey or paint it black could work. Headband cyan, cup and the ring grey or black (black if grey grille, grey if black grille).

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,539 of 4,845
It's stuck on from my experience. It's easy to just put on some masking tape and cut off the excess. Totally up to your tastes on what to paint but I like the black accents from the metal bands personally. I think it'd look good to paint the grills the aqua color you were thinking of for the rings but I like how mine looks right now with the stock grey.

Yeah, I plan on leaving the metal as is, black needs to be the frame to contain and shape the colors. Need to 'photoshop' and see what looks best to me. Maybe just go full Miku theme and have the grilles be the glowing pink/ruby color... that may be interesting. Need to mock it up and see what it would look like - maybe just a portion of the outside grille perimeter in the pink/ruby color and retain central part the stock grey... need to see what kind of balance in color area works best. Another option would be leaving the grille 100% stock and painting the inside driver structure the pink/ruby color...as the foam will be coming out. Just need to think things through...

hatsune_miku_by_virtual_world_tv-da7y0nv.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #1,540 of 4,845
Initial Impressions:

The headband clamping is very tight with a big head and glasses, it's almost worth not wearing my glasses for music because they are that tight.

Sound outta the box (2-3 hours) is excellent, been using my 598's all last week which I've got 2-3k hours on and it's a fantastic difference for something label in the 5xx range. Not surprised by the between 600-650 comments from people now. The soundstage has a more intimate relationship with instrument separation and a closeness that makes the music feel like it has more energy (fun I guess most people would describe it as).

I have a few badly recorded tracks for testing (van halen panama, elton john rocket man, some chucky berry, fleetwood mac live recordings like chain) and these hate bad quality, the cracks and pops are pronounced and some headphones I've tested (ATH-M40-50-70x and 569) couldn't get most of them.

So far country, jazz, anything electronic and poppy is great.

I'll test some a lot more over the next weeks with music and gaming but these are nice outta the box.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #1,541 of 4,845
I found the time after work to do a like for like comparison between the Jubilees and the 650. I am reminded of how bad memory can be...and that there was a reason I went away from Delta Sigma conversion to Step Ladder DACs...there was a reason I went balanced all pure class a amplification.

Using the same amp and DAC that drove the HD650 balanced then unplugging the headphone from the cable and attaching the Jubilees.

I need to backtrack on my assumption that the HD650 had a better advantage in midbass and low mid reproduction. The Jubilees have a fraction better definition here. It just seemed that way because if how different these two do the upper mid and treble....the jump in quality is so great compared to the smaller increase down low.

Yet the Frequency response is near identical. The soundstage size is about the same, but the Jubilees produce a far sharper images with just astounding clarity, eveness and smoothness in the midst and treble.

The emotional connection I get from female vocals is startling... it's incredibly exquisite. My HD800S are truly slain.

Next time I will shoot them out with the LCD2...my successor to the HD650...my favourite headphone.

Only problem is, I already know the Jubilees have already won and my heart is already celebrating.

I have already heard things, felt things I never experienced before.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,542 of 4,845
Damn, havent been this excited about waiting for new headphones for a long time even though they are very similar to my all time favourites HD600s haha.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,543 of 4,845
Damn, havent been this excited about waiting for new headphones for a long time even though they are very similar to my all time favourites HD600s haha.
you will not be disappointed I always felt the 600s were just too lacking in the Bass department but take the best from the 600s ,650s and throw in a bit of speed from the 700s and then you have the 58X Jubilees.
but these do need some burn in so give them a bit of time before passing judgement.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,544 of 4,845
Absolutely agree with your assessment.
I'm still in shock for what I paid for these. Lol.
you will not be disappointed I always felt the 600s were just too lacking in the Bass department but take the best from the 600s ,650s and throw in a bit of speed from the 700s and then you have the 58X Jubilees.
but these do need some burn in so give them a bit of time before passing judgement.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,545 of 4,845
Absolutely agree with your assessment.
I'm still in shock for what I paid for these. Lol.

I would pay more to get them with the HD6XX box .
I have been looking for a decent case but I just have a fetish for Sennheiser high end boxes lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back