Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #1,051 of 4,845
I think these do great with almost everything IMO. Still need more time with them. Maybe lower mids could have a touch more weight but they represent about everything very well. IMO these are a direct upgrade over the SHP9500S which had a somewhat grainy sound and lack of bass. Even with a bass port mod on my SHP9500S these dig much deeper in the bass. I love my SHP9500S but these are just on a different tier. I enjoy my L2 a bit more than the SHP9500 but they also have a slight grain issue. Again I'd take these. Don't have an X2 but these are extremely impressive at this price. IMO these are very close to my modded M1060.
Interesting input, thanks...I also have an L2. it's a toss up for me between those and the 9500s depending on what I am listening to...it seems like the 58X would be a good synthesis of the two and a logical next purchase for me....If they don't jack up the price.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,052 of 4,845
I appreciate your input on these headphones...particularly because you aren't talking about how they sound versus others in the 6--- series, but rather how they sound versus OTHER headphones I either have or am interested in.
You make them sound like the Sennheiser version of a Fidelio X2....which REALLY appeals to my tastes. Have you used them to watch movies by any chance? I don't do any gaming, my headphones are just for music...except for when I want to watch a movie where the sound is really important (ie: Baby Driver, any movie with the words star and wars involved...) For that purpose I like my SHP9500s I have done some pretty effective mods that have given them more satisfying bass, but I want a little more ...that is something I need my next headphones to be able to do, so I am curious how the 58x are for movies....and hip hop, it would be nice if they could do hip hop well.
Let me put it this way: if 80s hip hop and something like Gorillaz works for you, then these sound pretty amazing. It's hard for me to put properly into words, but the 58x kind of makes the X2 sound cartoonish and overdone for music by comparison. I'm hearing things that I never noticed before and everything is just incredibly fun and punchy from both the lows and highs. Sounds just kind of float and flutter around without effort like nothing else that I've heard yet.The X2's have a more powerful sound, but the 58x is "bigger" sounding somehow with all sorts of detailed movements and a very fast character; it honestly sounds 3D like it's coming from the room I'm in where the X2 sounds more or less on a flat plane extending from left to right. And I like my X2s...this is saying a lot from me.

I'll mess around with movies later this weekend and get back, but I really do like the X2 for gaming and movies...that's going to be hard to beat due to the crazy wide soundstage and whatnot. But I keep thinking of the Momentum 2.0s and how it's like Sennheiser took some of the energy from it's tuning and applied it to the 58x as being some sort of analogy for what's been done here. The Momentum 2.0 is a closed "fun" Sennheiser; I'm saying the 58x is an open "fun" Sennheiser that still does the whole crazy detail thing but with bass and loads of character. I've always thought of open back Sennheisers as being either relaxed or very analytical, and this isn't like that. I don't doubt that other 6 Series headphones beat it in certain aspects, but the 58x seems like some sort of weird experiment in trying for something that I didn't think Sennheiser would really attempt to do.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,053 of 4,845
I could of paid a bit more and got standard shipping or two day but I was already feeling guilty about buying them so I convinced myself to wait and get them at the lowest price was what I should do
now I wish I had paid a few bucks more .

But I would have paid more to get my HD-6XXs but unlike these the only option was 3 to 4 months ....then I buy another set of HD580s so there goes my money saving lol
It's a vicious cycle!

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,054 of 4,845
Let me put it this way: if 80s hip hop and something like Gorillaz works for you, then these sound pretty amazing. It's hard for me to put properly into words, but the 58x kind of makes the X2 sound cartoonish and overdone for music by comparison. I'm hearing things that I never noticed before and everything is just incredibly fun and punchy from both the lows and highs. Sounds just kind of float and flutter around without effort like nothing else that I've heard yet.The X2's have a more powerful sound, but the 58x is "bigger" sounding somehow with all sorts of detailed movements and a very fast character; it honestly sounds 3D like it's coming from the room I'm in where the X2 sounds more or less on a flat plane extending from left to right. And I like my X2s...this is saying a lot from me.

I'll mess around with movies later this weekend and get back, but I really do like the X2 for gaming and movies...that's going to be hard to beat due to the crazy wide soundstage and whatnot. But I keep thinking of the Momentum 2.0s and how it's like Sennheiser took some of the energy from it's tuning and applied it to the 58x as being some sort of analogy for what's been done here. The Momentum 2.0 is a closed "fun" Sennheiser; I'm saying the 58x is an open "fun" Sennheiser that still does the whole crazy detail thing but with bass and loads of character. I've always thought of open back Sennheisers as being either relaxed or very analytical, and this isn't like that. I don't doubt that other 6 Series headphones beat it in certain aspects, but the 58x seems like some sort of weird experiment in trying for something that I didn't think Sennheiser would really attempt to do.
I am a child of the 80s, and I do like the Gorillaz...the golden age of hip hop was the 90s....it really sounds like I would really like the 58X.

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #1,055 of 4,845
Sheit. Still have not arrived in Finland so it's starting to look unlikely that I'll get them this week. So slow...

Jul 4, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,056 of 4,845
i got these today. i am thoroughly enjoying them. i just got my ZMF Atticus a week ago or so, so thats what i have been listening to lately, but these have been sounding great. good timbre, good overall balance, great vocals,intimate soundstage with pretty good separation (not as layered as the Atticus but abit more vertical soundstage) pretty enjoyable, especially at lower volumes.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,057 of 4,845
I don't think he covered the hole enough to have an affect. What maybe 2% at the most? And without measuring you can't say for sure it's ineffective.
I agree with this. I think it also depends on what you zone in on when listening to music. I am a rhythm head and so find myself drawn to the bass and drums. A little extra sparkle in these areas would often be missed by someone who focuses more on say vocals. One of the great things about this personal audio lark isn't it. I want the rhythm section to feel natural, my 565 does that better than anything else I own for me. But 'for me' is the key thing isn't it. Enjoy the changes and please share, I haven't really done much in the way of adding things to my cans, just trial of removal.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,058 of 4,845
Just got mine today...I'm not going to be able to compare them to other 6 Series headphones or anything, but what I can say is that these may officially be my favorites and cause me to sell some stuff in the near future. I'll put it this way, it's like somebody took the "fun" from my X2 and tossed it into a much more mature and complete sounding headphone. The 58x isn't as wide and doesn't do the "left to right" spacial thing, so I dunno how it would work for gaming, but holy crap is it ever precise and very very very "3D" sounding with some big depth to it. Man does it ever sound good with music...very lively, very energetic and fast, but yet there's a ton of clarity and a very natural type of feel to it. If I had to think of a word to describe this thing, it'd be "percussive"...drums just have such impact while still sounding as they should and not getting boomy or lost. It definitely is a kind of weird mix of being revealing and detailed yet very fun and a total toe tapper. The odd thing is that I have a Momentum 2.0, and the character is very similar in a lot of ways despite being apples to oranges. Guess this is probably the answer to anybody who feels that their 6 Series headphone is good but maybe a little too boring?

Very easy to drive too...no issues to speak of with just a Q1.
Sweet. I just read Tuesday as the expected delivery date on mine. Too bad it's next Tuesday. Talk about snail mail

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,059 of 4,845

Not relaxed or analytical, but fun and energetic. I like how this sounds. I hope my impressions are the same.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,060 of 4,845
Sheit. Still have not arrived in Finland so it's starting to look unlikely that I'll get them this week. So slow...
Same here, ordered december 2017, first drop (under 500, hopefully will receive serial under 500), and still waiting. As of yesterday status shows Frankurt.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,061 of 4,845

I'm just north of the border and mine are in limbo ......DHL got them to the distribution Center on Saturday the 30th and Canada Post received notice..."A shipping label has been created by the shipper. Once the shipment arrives in our facility, tracking status and the expected delivery date will be updated"....keep in mind we had our July 1st Canada Day long weekend and today the US are celebrating their 4th of July.....then there is customs clearance....so probably next week also.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,062 of 4,845
Just got mine today...I'm not going to be able to compare them to other 6 Series headphones or anything, but what I can say is that these may officially be my favorites ...........

I think these do great with almost everything IMO. Still need more time with them. Maybe lower mids could have a touch more weight but they represent about everything very well. .........

Mine arrived today, ........
......The sound of the 58x is very closed in so far, with some of the "veil" that I've heard on the HD 598 and my HD 558. The bass is similar to the DT 990 and maybe a bit fatiguing on some tracks. The mids are lacking the energy and clarity ..........

Still polarizing.....???......just preferences......????. or .......????

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,064 of 4,845
Surprisingly most ppl won't even mention their source,amp,etc when describing or giving impression ,pointless to say the list ,this can's are little source dependent IMHO
Some will say this are dry ,analytical,etc...I say try them on NOS if you want to add some "liquid" ,balance is everything ,I'm little surprised how they sound on my R2R11

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,065 of 4,845
I think mine need more burn-in time. To my ears, these don't present as well out of the box. ......

It's possible....both my HD700s and HD660S and I believe my last pair oh 650s took a day or so to loosen up...until then the sound right out of the box was congested and lacking dynamics..some may refute burn in but that "virgin" Mylar membrane and suspencsion does need a bit of use IMHO to become slightly more pliable to reproduce all those fundamentals and delicate harmonic overtones properly.
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.20.38 AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back