Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,067 of 4,845
I'm just north of the border and mine are in limbo ......DHL got them to the distribution Center on Saturday the 30th and Canada Post received notice..."A shipping label has been created by the shipper. Once the shipment arrives in our facility, tracking status and the expected delivery date will be updated"....keep in mind we had our July 1st Canada Day long weekend and today the US are celebrating their 4th of July.....then there is customs clearance....so probably next week also.
When I ordered O2 from Massdrop, I though maybe nearing Christmas had something to do with the long delivery time but by the looks of it this will take more than two weeks. :cry: If it's less than three weeks, then it's a small improvement.
dhl.png

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,068 of 4,845
I am a child of the 80s, and I do like the Gorillaz...the golden age of hip hop was the 90s....it really sounds like I would really like the 58X.
Keep it as a thought, haha. I'm pretty sure you'd be into it if you like the SHP9500S. The SHP9500 is brighter and still has its place, but it doesn't have the bass or impact at all and isn't on the same playing field overall for music listening. If anything, these would be a nice compliment to it in some ways, IMHO.

Kind of a weird thing, but listening to these has sort of made me appreciate my m1060s more and somehow has made me realize a few things that they do differently than my other headphones. Haha, it's the X2 of all things that's been chopped down a notch or so for me at least for music listening. They've somehow gone from my favorites to being behind the 58x and now m1060s if that somehow makes any sense; kind of seeing how colored/exaggerated they actually are.

And about the soundstage, I agree with everybody who commented on how it's not bad but maybe just a tad narrower than they would want. But I get the feeling that this is a trade-off for having that detailed "3D" type of percussive quality that's so noticeable. The 58x has me legit feeling like the X2 simply stretches everything out too far by comparison, at least for modern music genres. The 58x has that awesome sort of "air" or "swirl" to it in every direction that makes it so fun to listen to; sort of like everything is close enough so that it's there in a big way and represented with authority, yet the detail is well done so that everything still stands alone and is easy to pick out. I think I can see just a bit why people always would rave about the hd600 and can only imagine what it does with vocals and mids if the 58x is supposedly not as focused on that.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,069 of 4,845
So after having a chance to listen to these for a couple hours, I feel like I understand the basic signature. To my ears the HD58X are a darker leaning headphone, and not just because of the bass, which I find detailed and well defined but a bit north of my ideal level, but because of a bit of a treble roll off. The midrange is fairly linear except for a dip in the 2-3k Hz, which has made female vocals sound a touch recessed and thin to me. The treble is good, but I do hear it as a bit veiled. I haven't ever heard the HD650, but it seems to match it's FR pretty closely. This is certainly no HD600 though, and I definitely prefer the HD600 in almost every category. Though in my personal opinion the HD600 is darn near perfect, so I'm biased. It's hard for me to say how good it's resolution is in comparison because of the darker sound, but I would say they fall just short of the HD600, but come close. That modest boost to the bass and sub-bass makes the excellent for EDM, older rock and metal, and any bass heavy genres. I also hear them as less agile and quick-footed as some headphones, being perhaps a smidge slower. And as other have mentioned, these have the smallest soundstage of any open back I have ever heard. My brain is still adjusting to the sound, and I like them the more I listen, but I think those that like a darker smoother response, or a bassier headphone that isn't V shaped will prefer them. They're certainly a refined can, and I think a lot of people are going to like them. Listening was done mostly through my AK70 and my Magni 2U. Though take my impressions with a grain of salt, I'm no professional reviewer :p

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,070 of 4,845
I also want to toss out there that the paint job on these is indeed kind of laughable and easily the cheapest looking of anything that I've got...looks like glossy black spray paint with a Sennheiser watermark screened logo, and it kind of has an almost uneven look to it in addition to being a smudge magnet. I'm going to be a bit ticked if this improves by a ton in future batches; this is where they cut back on $$$. I think the grey grills look just fine though and that the actual build quality is good.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,071 of 4,845
I’ve never heard the other models in the lineup but I find the 58x a little too warm for my liking. I’m happy with the bass, though. If they just had a bit more energy in the treble region I would be happy and they wouldn’t be on the sale forum.

Steve

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,072 of 4,845
It's possible....both my HD700s and HD660S and I believe my last pair oh 650s took a day or so to loosen up...until then the sound right out of the box was congested and lacking dynamics..some may refute burn in but that "virgin" Mylar membrane and suspencsion does need a bit of use IMHO to become slightly more pliable to reproduce all those fundamentals and delicate harmonic overtones properly.

I let mine play for 16 hours before I even took a peek. Then another 10 before I actually have them a serious listen. Newly manufactured dynamic drivers always need a good working.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #1,073 of 4,845
I also want to toss out there that the paint job on these is indeed kind of laughable and easily the cheapest looking of anything that I've got...looks like glossy black spray paint with a Sennheiser watermark screened logo, and it kind of has an almost uneven look to it in addition to being a smudge magnet. I'm going to be a bit ticked if this improves by a ton in future batches; this is where they cut back on $$$. I think the grey grills look just fine though and that the actual build quality is good.

My paintjob isn't laughable but I can see some orange peel. Not a state of the art finish but not laughable. I'm suspecting some variance in finish quality in the Ireland factory.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,074 of 4,845
When I ordered O2 from Massdrop, I though maybe nearing Christmas had something to do with the long delivery time but by the looks of it this will take more than two weeks. :cry: If it's less than three weeks, then it's a small improvement.

My tracking as of June 30th is still at ....." Secaucus, NJ, US PROCESSING COMPLETED AT ORIGIN" ..
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 2.10.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,076 of 4,845

Do the grills feel "rough" at all? I know someone said this previously, wondering if it is common throughout the batch.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,079 of 4,845
Is it true that the 58x doesn't require an amp like the 6XX? Also, are they good for pure enjoyment? I know the 6XX are more laid back but perhaps to the extent of lacking a bit of excitement?

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #1,080 of 4,845
Is it true that the 58x doesn't require an amp like the 6XX? Also, are they good for pure enjoyment? I know the 6XX are more laid back but perhaps to the extent of lacking a bit of excitement?

Yes. A big advantage of the 58x is that it does sound great modestly powered, unlike the 6XX. On the other hand, the 58x's don't scale nearly as well compared to the 580/6XX line.

I think overall the tuning of the 58x is "fun" sounding, while still retaining some of that classic Sennheiser 580/XX series flavor. I was listening to a lot of pop/rock/hip hop with the 58x and it was enjoyable. I think at it's price point it's a great entry into the realm of higher end sounding headphones. Or perhaps even a good end game set for your average Joe. However, it does lack a lot of the refinement and technical prowess of the 580/600/650/660 family. No doubt the 58x drivers amounted to much of the cost difference saved by Sennheiser.

The 6XX's are chain dependent and can be quite laid back or "exciting", although that last term is very subjective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back