1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last
  1. Cruelhand Luke
    Interesting input, thanks...I also have an L2. it's a toss up for me between those and the 9500s depending on what I am listening to...it seems like the 58X would be a good synthesis of the two and a logical next purchase for me....If they don't jack up the price.

2. SuperNovaGoesPop
    Let me put it this way: if 80s hip hop and something like Gorillaz works for you, then these sound pretty amazing. It's hard for me to put properly into words, but the 58x kind of makes the X2 sound cartoonish and overdone for music by comparison. I'm hearing things that I never noticed before and everything is just incredibly fun and punchy from both the lows and highs. Sounds just kind of float and flutter around without effort like nothing else that I've heard yet.The X2's have a more powerful sound, but the 58x is "bigger" sounding somehow with all sorts of detailed movements and a very fast character; it honestly sounds 3D like it's coming from the room I'm in where the X2 sounds more or less on a flat plane extending from left to right. And I like my X2s...this is saying a lot from me.

I'll mess around with movies later this weekend and get back, but I really do like the X2 for gaming and movies...that's going to be hard to beat due to the crazy wide soundstage and whatnot. But I keep thinking of the Momentum 2.0s and how it's like Sennheiser took some of the energy from it's tuning and applied it to the 58x as being some sort of analogy for what's been done here. The Momentum 2.0 is a closed "fun" Sennheiser; I'm saying the 58x is an open "fun" Sennheiser that still does the whole crazy detail thing but with bass and loads of character. I've always thought of open back Sennheisers as being either relaxed or very analytical, and this isn't like that. I don't doubt that other 6 Series headphones beat it in certain aspects, but the 58x seems like some sort of weird experiment in trying for something that I didn't think Sennheiser would really attempt to do.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  3. harbinger66
    It's a vicious cycle!

4. Cruelhand Luke
    I am a child of the 80s, and I do like the Gorillaz...the golden age of hip hop was the 90s....it really sounds like I would really like the 58X.

SolaVirtus likes this.
  5. Anarion
    Sheit. Still have not arrived in Finland so it's starting to look unlikely that I'll get them this week. So slow...

6. Grayven
    i got these today. i am thoroughly enjoying them. i just got my ZMF Atticus a week ago or so, so thats what i have been listening to lately, but these have been sounding great. good timbre, good overall balance, great vocals,intimate soundstage with pretty good separation (not as layered as the Atticus but abit more vertical soundstage) pretty enjoyable, especially at lower volumes.

7. 477621
    I agree with this. I think it also depends on what you zone in on when listening to music. I am a rhythm head and so find myself drawn to the bass and drums. A little extra sparkle in these areas would often be missed by someone who focuses more on say vocals. One of the great things about this personal audio lark isn't it. I want the rhythm section to feel natural, my 565 does that better than anything else I own for me. But 'for me' is the key thing isn't it. Enjoy the changes and please share, I haven't really done much in the way of adding things to my cans, just trial of removal.

trellus likes this.
  8. Mhog55
    Sweet. I just read Tuesday as the expected delivery date on mine. Too bad it's next Tuesday. Talk about snail mail

9. Mhog55
    Not relaxed or analytical, but fun and energetic. I like how this sounds. I hope my impressions are the same.

10. Patrick1958
    Same here, ordered december 2017, first drop (under 500, hopefully will receive serial under 500), and still waiting. As of yesterday status shows Frankurt.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  11. Rob80b
    I'm just north of the border and mine are in limbo ......DHL got them to the distribution Center on Saturday the 30th and Canada Post received notice..."A shipping label has been created by the shipper. Once the shipment arrives in our facility, tracking status and the expected delivery date will be updated"....keep in mind we had our July 1st Canada Day long weekend and today the US are celebrating their 4th of July.....then there is customs clearance....so probably next week also.

12. Rob80b
    Still polarizing.....???......just preferences......????. or .......????

13. Filter500
    I think mine need more burn-in time. To my ears, these don't present as well out of the box. The soundstage and clarity is improving a bit, but they do sound more congested than than my K612 or DT 990 Pro at this point.

14. spacequeen7
    Surprisingly most ppl won't even mention their source,amp,etc when describing or giving impression ,pointless to say the list ,this can's are little source dependent IMHO
    Some will say this are dry ,analytical,etc...I say try them on NOS if you want to add some "liquid" ,balance is everything ,I'm little surprised how they sound on my R2R11

15. Rob80b
    It's possible....both my HD700s and HD660S and I believe my last pair oh 650s took a day or so to loosen up...until then the sound right out of the box was congested and lacking dynamics..some may refute burn in but that "virgin" Mylar membrane and suspencsion does need a bit of use IMHO to become slightly more pliable to reproduce all those fundamentals and delicate harmonic overtones properly.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.20.38 AM.png

First

Back
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81
Next

Last