Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 28, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #796 of 4,845
Ordered a set yesterday.
7HDGeY7YGVp4.jpg

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #797 of 4,845
I still haven't received 4XX yet, so the doubt. A comparison with 6XX will be fine too. I get it about bass heavy genres. But how about 4XX with classical or old rock? Are they satisfactory with them or do I really need something like 6XX or 58X for them? Sorry if I am repeating myself :)

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #798 of 4,845
Hi folks...anyone know definitively if the 600/660 series and the new 58X driver have the same size membrane and or driver?
From Jude's original video in December he originally mentioned (@2:33) 40mm vs 38mm for the new 58X driver...all a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #799 of 4,845
I still haven't received 4XX yet, so the doubt. A comparison with 6XX will be fine too. I get it about bass heavy genres. But how about 4XX with classical or old rock? Are they satisfactory with them or do I really need something like 6XX or 58X for them? Sorry if I am repeating myself :)
I got my pair of HD58X's today and I started off with Beck's "Morning Phase" album and it was very bass heavy - the mids and highs were clear, but the bass was very prominent. I wasn't going to say I was regretting the purchase because they are still significantly better than my HD558's.

But, once that album was over and I switched over to David Bowie's "Next Day" album, one which doesn't have nearly as much bass, these things shine beautifully. It has a very balanced and clear sound.

I have a very limited scope of experience with more expensive headphones, but to me, these things feel like they were made for rock and roll and with this album being Bowie's, as far as I'm concerned, most straight forward rock album of his career, I believe it to be the most accurate representation of classic rock.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what they sound like once they are burnt in, but even if it doesn't change - the sound is great before you take price into consideration. Once you put that into the equation, it is a no brainer.

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #801 of 4,845
First impressions of these really remind me of an HD600 (duh...) with a bass bump. I remember when researching for my initial upgrade form the HD555, I read that the HD600 was too "polite" for metal genres. While I never cared too much for their presentation, I have to say these (HD58X) do not have that issue. Rock and metal so far, are pretty great on these. Rush, Sabaton, Civil War, Pink Floyd, and The Eagles thus far. The mids from the HD600 too a bit of a hit in favor of the bass. Same sound, different flavor. My biggest gripe is the comfort. The padding is different (I think) form the stock HD6-- pads. Otherwise, these are worth the $150 easy.

Edit: These remind me of a less detailed Eikon.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #802 of 4,845
First impressions of these really remind me of an HD600 (duh...) with a bass bump. I remember when researching for my initial upgrade form the HD555, I read that the HD600 was too "polite" for metal genres. While I never cared too much for their presentation, I have to say these (HD58X) do not have that issue. Rock and metal so far, are pretty great on these. Rush, Sabaton, Civil War, Pink Floyd, and The Eagles thus far. The mids from the HD600 too a bit of a hit in favor of the bass. Same sound, different flavor. My biggest gripe is the comfort. The padding is different (I think) form the stock HD6-- pads. Otherwise, these are worth the $150 easy.

Edit: These remind me of a less detailed Eikon.
What do you think about the build quality? Read a few comments on the MD discussion forum where folks said they are very cheaply made

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #803 of 4,845

Well you the HE 4XX on order so you'll find out which music they work for.

I listen to every genre under the sun and the HE 4XX work on everything I've thrown at them. They are THE no brainier sub $200 can in my book.

Once you hear them you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to spend $150 on the HD 58X Jubilee. But after just taking a peak at mine on a few snipets of music from 4 or 5 genres I will have e to say again......no-brainer. and that's not even considering the price. Once price is considered it's like finding a bag of party size 48 oz Ruffles for $1.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #804 of 4,845
What do you think about the build quality? Read a few comments on the MD discussion forum where folks said they are very cheaply made
I disagree. They feel very sturdy and well built.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #805 of 4,845

I think for the price, the quality is fine. Id say theyre on par with the HD5-- series in terms of build quality, but compared to the HD600/650, the plastic does feel a little cheap.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #807 of 4,845
I think for the price, the quality is fine. Id say theyre on par with the HD5-- series in terms of build quality, but compared to the HD600/650, the plastic does feel a little cheap.
This is good to hear. Mine are supposed to arrive on Monday.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #808 of 4,845

That's what's I was comparing quality to - the HD558. There really isn't any comparison between the two. The HD558's aren't even remotely in the same ball park quality wise. Everything about the HD58X Jubilee's scream quality by comparison. I don't have HD600/HD650 to compare it to, but considering the cost, I most certainly can't complain.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #810 of 4,845
I assumed that they would be of similar material and construction quality as the HD6XX or HD650. I'll let you know when I get my HD58X tomorrow or early next week.

I have both the HD 58X and the HD 6XX and upon first inspection and quick listen they feel no different than the HD 6XX. The HD6XX COULD be made of a better grade of plastic...but the HD 58X is not of lesser quality.

Now the gloss paint on the headband isn't PERFECT, but within what you'd expect ....not for the sub $200 price but for the simple fact that these were knocked out in less than a few months. Sennheiser could have improved the finish by the second batch....time will tell. But as long as there's no paint peeling or cracking plastic I won't complain.

With that said IF there are QC issues I fully expect Massdrop and Sennheiser to step up and hand out some new parts or outright replace the headphone with minimal hassle on the customers part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back