Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 28, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #812 of 4,845
When I first got my HD6XX I was a bit taken aback at how plastic they are. But then I realize well the HD650 and 600 are the same, it’s only the outer finish that is different between them two. I’ve had the HD6XX for quite a while and I think there is no problem with the build quality, especially no hinge fragility that a few Sennheisers suffered from.
I guess the HD58X is also gonna look very obviously plastic. But this time I won’t have a problem with it
I assumed that they would be of similar material and construction quality as the HD6XX or HD650. I'll let you know when I get my HD58X tomorrow or early next week.

I have both the HD 58X and the HD 6XX and upon first inspection and quick listen they feel no different than the HD 6XX. HD 6XX could be made if a better grade if plastic...but the HD 58X is not of lesser quality.

Now the gloss paint on the headband isn't PERFECT, but within what you'd expect ....not for the sub $200 price but for the simple fact that these were knocked out in less than a few months. Sennheiser could have improved the finish by the second batch.....nut as long as there's no paint peeling or cracking plastic I won't complain.

With that said IF there are QC issues I fully expect Massdeop and Sennheiser to step up and hand out some new parts or outright replace the headphone with minimal hassle on the customers part.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #813 of 4,845
Just got mine. They sound pretty good. Bit more sub than the other Senns. Was wondering why you can't see the drivers through the grill. It has a piece of foam covering them. Wonder how they would sound without them? Maybe that's what the original production was lol.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #814 of 4,845
I am very interested in a direct comparison between the HD6xx and the HD58X... Am I justified to own both?

Speaking of the 6XX/650 in particular (as opposed to the general model range), I would say probably not, unless you really want to. The 58XJ are closer in sound to the 650 than the 600, and I would call them very similar headphones.

I have heard every HD6** series and most HD5** series. They most remind me of the HD650, and like the graphs, a touch more air, a bit less higher mids, cleaner low mids, and more bass extension, nowhere near bass head. On tracks with big sub bass you notice it. ... The sub bass with the pads is among the best I've heard yet the low mids aren't clouded by it. The mid bass is good but on some tracks, all of the bass can be overwhelming if it's boosted in the song. On songs without a lot of bass they are good but could have extra bass, causing inaccuracy.

Largely agree with everything you wrote. They're like an HD650 got injected with a tiny bit of Grado DNA, and a sub-bass boost. Similar to how the 598 was different and more lively than the 595, the 58XJ does that to the 650.

I still haven't received 4XX yet, so the doubt. A comparison with 6XX will be fine too. I get it about bass heavy genres. But how about 4XX with classical or old rock? Are they satisfactory with them or do I really need something like 6XX or 58X for them? Sorry if I am repeating myself :)
Out of all of these I think 58XJ are the best for old rock. I'd be tempted to call them the best for classical too, because of the extra sub-bass. Depends on whether you want to feel it, or listen to the details. 58XJ for the former, 600 or 4XX for the latter.

All of these headphones, 4XX included, are very, very good, and handle all genres pretty well. They're all voiced reasonably similarly - the 4XX is basically the planar version of the HD6xx series.

I disagree. They feel very sturdy and well built.

Agreed. The paint finish isn't as luxury as the 650 or 600, but it's on par with the 6XX. The plastics are standard 6xx quality, which is to say solid but not "woah amazing carbon-fibre and aluminium!". My pair do feel like the production moulds are ever so slightly more worn than my 650 and 600, which have smoother joins between plastics and more defined edges to the various bits. But make no mistake, these are headphones that will last 20 years or more if you treat them at all well.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #815 of 4,845
How good will these headphones be for edm and hiphop? I currently have dt770 80 ohms, but I want to try out open-back headphones. I know the bass won't be as good as the dt770s, but how would they compare?

Like Assimilator702 I preferred the 4XX over the 6XX/650 for bass-heavy genres (although if I wanted them in the background I'd use the 650), but I'd probably put the 58XJ on par with the 4XX for this stuff. It's a little less offensive than 4XX in the highs for badly-recorded music, and bumps the bass kick up a notch or three from 6XX.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #816 of 4,845
Just got mine. They sound pretty good. Bit more sub than the other Senns. Was wondering why you can't see the drivers through the grill. It has a piece of foam covering them. Wonder how they would sound without them? Maybe that's what the original production was lol.
No News Is Good News ,, but that a Good News :beerchug:

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #817 of 4,845

If that thin piece of foam is anything other than cosmetic is the question. My original thought was that it was to hide the driver since it's not as sexy as the 600/650. But it could be good Sennheiser tuned in the extra bass after swapping out the driver that LOOKED like the one from the HD700/660S since the driver looks different from the prototype.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #819 of 4,845
So, what's the big deal with people complaining about getting certain serial numbers? Pardon my ignorance but what does it mean and why the big deal?

The lower the serial number, the better your pair sounds.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #820 of 4,845
So, what's the big deal with people complaining about getting certain serial numbers? Pardon my ignorance but what does it mean and why the big deal?

If I recall correctly (and I could be thinking of something else since it has been so long), originally only the first 1500 were supposed to be serialized to encourage people to buy in early. Other than the exclusivity of having an earlier number, there's no importance. A collector may want the earliest model they can get, but I don't see these being that much of a collectors piece.

I joined in on one of the very early drops - if not the first, definitely before the 3000 mark and my headphones are over 4000 serial number. I'd see no reason to care what that little sticker says if you actually plan on using the headphones.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #821 of 4,845
Joined in on the drop. I'm looking to pair these with my LG G7 as my main way of digesting music at work. I listen to a lot of music that features bass, so i'm hopeful these will give me the punch, but still give me the detail and clarity in the mids and highs.

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #822 of 4,845
For those that have received your Jubilee, I heard they do not come in the standard case boxes like the HD6xx line. But does it have a cheaper storage box we can put them away in after use? thx in advance.

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #823 of 4,845
You can see the packaging below. Cheap, but to me it's a good thing since smaller packaging = less likely to be taxed where I live :) They look stunning on video, cannot wait for my pair!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #824 of 4,845
Although the fancy box that the HD650 and HD6XX comes with is pretty impressive I have to admit that I have never put the headphones in them. The carton that comes with the HD58X is similar to to the 598SE I received. I store the cardboard cartons in a closet in case I ever decide to sell my headphones. The fancy boxes just sit under my equipment rack collecting dust. I'd be fine with the cardboard box if it meant a lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back