Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 29, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #841 of 4,845
Yeah, I saw they were doing that. Hope you enjoy, it would be good to hear back on your thoughts.
I wish I still had the HD660S to compare. I'd have to go by memory. Kinda excited since I liked the 660 somewhat(certain characteristics I liked, like it's speed), and if this sounds similar in speed, this is a great deal!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #843 of 4,845
Yeah, it definitely seems to be the foam. that was probably all the "re-tuning" really was, haha. So I imagine removing that foam would give it a more HD600 sound for people that aren't liking that bass on these?

Yep....anything that will redirect the sound back....we'll just have to wait for folks to report back with their comparisons...foam vs no foam....

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #844 of 4,845
Ugh, my shipment taking forever!!!! Shows shipped on the 21st, but not arriving until next week. People ordering the last few days are already getting theirs and they weren't even in the original sign up back in March! Makes me so sad.

I feel your pain... I joined drop back in February, tracking initially had a scheduled delivery of Saturday for mine so I was surprised when they arrived yesterday.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #845 of 4,845
Just after joining the Drop for the 6XX in May I was hospitalized with a heart attack and was really wondering if I would make it to the end of August to receive them .

I bought the original 580s in the early 90s but when I bought the 600s they really did not do it for me but when I first heard the 650s they were exactly what I wanted so I bought a pair but due to health issues I was forced into retirement and we were raising one of our granddaughter's so I had to sell the 650s then the offering by Massdrop meant finally I would get the ,650s back in the form of HD-6XXs.

Then it seemed with the Heart attack the universe was conspiring to keep me from having the 650s lol

But after hearing the reviews of the 58X Jubilee's being 650 like I ordered them and they are on their way yay lol

But the universe had a final kick my headphone amplifier died today

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #846 of 4,845
Anyone try these yet with some Dekoni pads? I just ordered a 58x and am interested in seeing how my elite hybrids pair with these.

I have the velour pads, so I cant comment on the hybrids. They did the same for these as they did for my HD600. Increased the soundstage a bit and made the mid range stand out a bit. The bass takes a small hit, as does the comfort. But again, this is just the velour pads.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #847 of 4,845
Sorry, if not clear I was talking about my 580 Precisions being defoamed. Also the foam I meant was the one against the ear. ...........

That brings back memories...although we use to replace the foam with a nylon mesh....

from 2005...
Do not forget the HD600 grills and the nylon replacement for the foam inserts for future upgrades along with the HD650 cable. These are all cheap upgrade paths which may or may not bring you closer to the holy grail.
Happy listening.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-veil-1-8th-inch-foam.92513/#post-1077481

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #848 of 4,845
What I'm curious to know if the cable attachment is the same as on the 600/650, the cables are the same throughout but are they still using the older spring style?
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.54.40 AM.png

this screen shot with the 660S, 600 and 58X shows the the gold pins are not present on the 660 nor the 58X so maybe a different more secure connection?
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.53.29 AM.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #849 of 4,845
Just after joining the Drop for the 6XX in May I was hospitalized with a heart attack and was really wondering if I would make it to the end of August to receive them .

I bought the original 580s in the early 90s but when I bought the 600s they really did not do it for me but when I first heard the 650s they were exactly what I wanted so I bought a pair but due to health issues I was forced into retirement and we were raising one of our granddaughter's so I had to sell the 650s then the offering by Massdrop meant finally I would get the ,650s back in the form of HD-6XXs.

Then it seemed with the Heart attack the universe was conspiring to keep me from having the 650s lol

But after hearing the reviews of the 58X Jubilee's being 650 like I ordered them and they are on their way yay lol

But the universe had a final kick my headphone amplifier died today
I hope that you are filing better now and in the future

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #850 of 4,845
I hope that you are filing better now and in the future
Hey I beat terminal cancer 20 years ago and am already riding my Harley so I'm slowly getting better but thanks so much

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #852 of 4,845
Question to those who already got their units - how's soundstage and are these any good for electronic and pop music, as well as movies?

The soundstage is tall and not super wide. Very natural to me, as I find wider headphones can be interesting but unrealistic. It's like other HD6** and HD5** soundstages in that they were never known to be wide. That said, my Sony MDR-1A with Meze 99 pads, though sounding wider, lacks that realism. Despite it having more bass too, the HD58X has a "bigger" sound, in some ways. They work for every genre. The bass is better than most opens I've tried so while it works there, if you really want jaw shaking stuff, a bassy closed back can't be beaten, though that's not news.

As far as the pads go. I hear folks on here saying the Dekoni Velour has a bit less bass and more spaciousness, but I've read reviews that said the opposite. That they increased bass while they cost some soundstage. I did test some other pleather type replacements pads, that look like the originals but aren't velour (Geekaria and another). More bass but lost too much treble and space. There seems to be no true alternative to velour for these if you don't want to reduce treble detail and shrink the soundstage. Dekoni Velours still intrigue with the above referenced contradictions.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #853 of 4,845
The soundstage is tall and not super wide. Very natural to me, as I find wider headphones can be interesting but unrealistic. It's like other HD6** and HD5** soundstages in that they were never known to be wide. That said, my Sony MDR-1A with Meze 99 pads, though sounding wider, lacks that realism. Despite it having more bass too, the HD58X has a "bigger" sound, in some ways. They work for every genre. The bass is better than most opens I've tried so while it works there, if you really want jaw shaking stuff, a bassy closed back can't be beaten, though that's not news.

As far as the pads go. I hear folks on here saying the Dekoni Velour has a bit less bass and more spaciousness, but I've read reviews that said the opposite. That they increased bass while they cost some soundstage. I did test some other pleather type replacements pads, that look like the originals but aren't velour (Geekaria and another). More bass but lost too much treble and space. There seems to be no true alternative to velour for these if you don't want to reduce treble detail and shrink the soundstage. Dekoni Velours still intrigue with the above referenced contradictions.

I agree with them not having a very wide Soundstage. That's the only thing I really prefer about the HD558's I own. It is a small sacrifice since everything else sounds so much better.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #854 of 4,845
Interesting! Used to own 1A's while I must say they were comfortable to wear, the soundstage was not very wide pretty average... the bass was fatiguing it's like it was flooding other frequencies. It was very welcome in some songs, and especially movies, but they quickly became headphones I couldn't listen to for more than an hour and for that reason alone I got rid of them. Never tested on different pads though... Do you prefer 1A over 58x?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #855 of 4,845
Although the fancy box that the HD650 and HD6XX comes with is pretty impressive I have to admit that I have never put the headphones in them. The carton that comes with the HD58X is similar to to the 598SE I received. I store the cardboard cartons in a closet in case I ever decide to sell my headphones. The fancy boxes just sit under my equipment rack collecting dust. I'd be fine with the cardboard box if it meant a lower price.

Yes it's nice. But once I have one that's good enough for me. I'd rather have a nice price cut and a box like the one that the HD58x comes with and pay less $$$.

With the money saved I tossed $20 at the large nylon textured Slappa case which is the perfect size for storing these headphones with the earcups extended 8 clicks....in my case.

Less wear and tear equals a brand new feeling headphone in 1 years time. I keep all my headphones in a case when I'm not using them which is nice since 1....I'm OCD about keeping my gear as close to MINT as possible....and 2.... if I ever decide to sell any I have as close to a BNIB headphone to pass onto the next person.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back