Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #3,048 of 4,845
Not much according to many, though I have never seen for myself. Everyone seem to compare them more the the 660s than anything. Check out the Z Reviews teardown on youtube.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,050 of 4,845
Yeah, I'm just wondering why they named it HD58x Jubilee!
It is because of the 50th anniversary HD580 Jubilee released in 95 which was the performance clone of the HD600 but the 58X in sound signature is much closer to the HD660s in sound signature and nothing like the original HD580 Jubilee and miles above any of the 5 series because the original HD580 was really the first of the 6 series it even had identical drivers as the HD 600

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #3,051 of 4,845
It is because of the 50th anniversary HD580 Jubilee released in 95 which was the performance clone of the HD600 but the 58X in sound signature is much closer to the HD660s in sound signature and nothing like the original HD580 Jubilee and miles above any of the 5 series because the original HD580 was really the first of the 6 series it even had identical drivers as the HD 600
That's exactly my question. If it sounded not like 580 Jubilee, why called it 58x Jubilee?! Why not called it 66x??

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #3,053 of 4,845
Just dropping by to say I have joined the club - so far so good. Just doing some break-in. No thoughts on sound just yet, want to give them time. My reference is the AD700x which have a massive sound stage and low OHM. Right now I only have a Fiio 10k - but have a Liquid Spark on order.

Ok, respect for all, high end stuff can be boring. But for me the purpose of an open can is to be airy, tonal realistic and holographic at the expense of some bass. But it’s my perspective. The mids on Jubilee are too chesty for my tastes and I hardly hear overtones through them. This for me it’s a big flaw because of my job, but i can understand how a warm response can be pleasant for the majority. Enjoy your music

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,054 of 4,845
That's exactly my question. If it sounded not like 580 Jubilee, why called it 58x Jubilee?! Why not called it 66x??
It was an homage to the jubilees not a clone like the 6XX .
And as much as it sounds like the 660s I think it was a happy coincidence for consuners that it sounds so much like the much more expensive 660s.
I think Sennheiser made a marketing mistake by making them sound so close atleast it made me return my 660s

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3,055 of 4,845
While I'm waiting on my 58x to arrive I've been thinking of possible mods and one thing that I've never seen attempted/reviewed on headphones is adding a bucking magnet to increase magnetic flux across the yolk (metal cap and pole that the voice coil sits in).

I found a forum post where people were apparently adding magnets aligned N to S on the back of their headphones and claiming all kinds things about how it changed the sound. The problem is that adding a magnet N to S does very little if anything to add to the flux across the yolk, and may even detract from it.
The only good way to somewhat improve the magnetic flux of a stock driver would be to attach a magnet with the opposing field (N to N or S to S) since this will redirect and constrain the field of the stock driver. This used to be done for shielding purposes of loudspeakers in order to keep people from damaging tube TVs and monitors. But it also increases the Q factor slightly meaning more control of the voice coil since more of the magnetic field is redirected into the yolk, and this also means slightly higher sensitivity.

I'd love to see more people experimenting with this idea, and it seems like the 58X is a perfect candidate. I'll probably try this after I get familiar with the stock 58x

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #3,056 of 4,845
While I'm waiting on my 58x to arrive I've been thinking of possible mods and one thing that I've never seen attempted/reviewed on headphones is adding a bucking magnet to increase magnetic flux across the yolk (metal cap and pole that the voice coil sits in).

I found a forum post where people were apparently adding magnets aligned N to S on the back of their headphones and claiming all kinds things about how it changed the sound. The problem is that adding a magnet N to S does very little if anything to add to the flux across the yolk, and may even detract from it.
The only good way to somewhat improve the magnetic flux of a stock driver would be to attach a magnet with the opposing field (N to N or S to S) since this will redirect and constrain the field of the stock driver. This used to be done for shielding purposes of loudspeakers in order to keep people from damaging tube TVs and monitors. But it also increases the Q factor slightly meaning more control of the voice coil since more of the magnetic field is redirected into the yolk, and this also means slightly higher sensitivity.

I'd love to see more people experimenting with this idea, and it seems like the 58X is a perfect candidate. I'll probably try this after I get familiar with the stock 58x

While you’re at it, you should use radioactive magnets with special coated radioactive paint, it will boost your HD58x’s output and align the linear phase of the whole music spectrum in your ears, specially if you have metal braces on your teeth. Worth considering while you wait for delivery...

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #3,057 of 4,845
I'm guessing you have some of that radioactive paint to spare then? Send it my way, I'll write up a full review

Thanks for the useful and constructive commentary

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #3,058 of 4,845
I'm guessing you have some of that radioactive paint to spare then? Send it my way, I'll write up a full review

Your order has been shipped.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #3,059 of 4,845
Is it safe for the headphones to be used without the foam in the outside grill or is it there to keep the dust away from the driver and thus using it without the foam isn't recommended? I just tried them with and without yesterday and tbh I like the sound without the foam way more because of how sharp and vivid it becomes when compared to stock, even despite sacrificing a bit of bass for this and was wondering if it's actually safe to keep them that way.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #3,060 of 4,845
I've had mine that way for the last 6 months. No issues whatsoever. I prefer the sound without the foam in the grills.
Is it safe for the headphones to be used without the foam in the outside grill or is it there to keep the dust away from the driver and thus using it without the foam isn't recommended? I just tried them with and without yesterday and tbh I like the sound without the foam way more because of how sharp and vivid it becomes when compared to stock, even despite sacrificing a bit of bass for this and was wondering if it's actually safe to keep them that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back