Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3,032 of 4,845
You can have 100 different opinions on the exact same headphone as thats the way it is in this hobby.

I’ve blind bought many-a-headphones from like minded head-fires that shared
My exact same sound preferences only to find out when I finally heard/bought them, I couldn’t have disagreed more with them.

Opinions on sound signatures are a dime a dozen. I read the opinions in any thread for the sure entertainment value. My own opinion means nothing in the long run. You just gotta hear any headphone yourself. It’s that simple. The best way is to go off measurements and THOSE a lot of times contradict what you actually hear.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #3,033 of 4,845
That's a polite way to handle it, but also various opinions provide statistics for those going through the threads. For me personally, it's more respectable when people can be objective, and transparent, providing flaws and honest opinions. Being detached from ownership syndrome or new toy emotions.

I know strong opinions create arguments, but we should also respect people's honest opinions than lash at them or singling them put with a group mentality. This creates a thread of rich information.

The problem is arbitrariness if no real opinions.

Agree, I like read opinions whatever they are opposite to me.
I don't accept a nosense rant about a kinda of conspiracy of us that like the 58x, electing himself the only 'normal', even more pairing himself like Tyll. What?
screw**!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #3,034 of 4,845
I don't own the 58x but mids are less forwards but on the other hand there's more treble presence and yes I noticed some grain but for me it's not an issue, it's rare and happens on some random treble intensive songs that really focus this frequency
I don't mind a bit more treble over the HD 650. I own HD 598, which have slightly relaxed mids with a bit of a mid-treble spike. It's tuned well and I love the sound. Have you heard HD 598? If so, would you say they have more or less grain than HD 58X?

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #3,035 of 4,845
I don't mind a bit more treble over the HD 650. I own HD 598, which have slightly relaxed mids with a bit of a mid-treble spike. It's tuned well and I love the sound. Have you heard HD 598? If so, would you say they have more or less grain than HD 58X?

Sorry I was sleepy I don't own the 6XX, I own the 58X. i don't own the 598, having headphones in brazil is super hard the other headphone I have is the SHP9500, I can tell you that the 58x should have more sub-bass and treble than the 650 and less mids and mid-bass, but from what I read I think the 58x is less refined, more lively and dynamic than the 650 so I'm not sure if it will fix your issue with sibilance, unless your problem is the specifc shoutness in the mids, if this is the case I think the 58X will fix that for you.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #3,036 of 4,845
Sorry I was sleepy I don't own the 6XX, I own the 58X. i don't own the 598, having headphones in brazil is super hard the other headphone I have is the SHP9500, I can tell you that the 58x should have more sub-bass and treble than the 650 and less mids and mid-bass, but from what I read I think the 58x is less refined, more lively and dynamic than the 650 so I'm not sure if it will fix your issue with sibilance, unless your problem is the specifc shoutness in the mids, if this is the case I think the 58X will fix that for you.
Yeah, I didn't really hear any sibilance with the 650. I define sibilance as a excessive and piercing "S" sound. My issue with the 650 was that certain vocals sounded a bit too forward/shouty. I think I prefer slightly relaxed mids/vocals. That way, when I turn the volume up, the bass sounds nice without someone shouting in my ear, if that makes sense. BTW, I'm not a bass head. My fave cans so far are HD 598 and they're a bit lacking in bass. But I can turn them up without the vocals ever getting shouty.

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #3,037 of 4,845
Yeah, I didn't really hear any sibilance with the 650. I define sibilance as a excessive and piercing "S" sound. My issue with the 650 was that certain vocals sounded a bit too forward/shouty. I think I prefer slightly relaxed mids/vocals. That way, when I turn the volume up, the bass sounds nice without someone shouting in my ear, if that makes sense. BTW, I'm not a bass head. My fave cans so far are HD 598 and they're a bit lacking in bass. But I can turn them up without the vocals ever getting shouty.

Then I think you'll like the 58x it has less shoutness in the mids and more sub-bass

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #3,039 of 4,845
Agree, I like read opinions whatever they are opposite to me.
I don't accept a nosense rant about a kinda of conspiracy of us that like the 58x, electing himself the only 'normal', even more pairing himself like Tyll. What?
screw**!

Here's a troll. Hd58x is Not an end game and a pair with a great amp will not produce great improvements. In this three pages this headphone became the new reference. I'm not the new Tyll but he didn't like even a little variation from his beloved hd600, like the hd660. Imagine what HE would think about this bass elevation, high-mid recession and other different wrong thing that decent consumer product does. Reading about the "similarity with hd660" in this thread I was convinced to buy a jubilee, and as an opera singer, I found their weird tonal balance that mask the high mids transforming an opera into a pop concert. And you asterisk in your bad word will not mask the reality. A very young guy who fight to defend the new toy writing with angry, trolling and mentioning Tyll just to offend. I hope you will grow up and write less asterisk to mask your rage, that mak a frustration that mask something else.

Dec 19, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,040 of 4,845
You don't know what a Troll is...

..you are not Tyll, but a Troll yes.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #3,041 of 4,845
Yeah I’d agree. I had the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX which is the HD650 in different colors/cable.

It didn’t really gel with me though and I sold it after a few months. The HD6XX didn’t quite have the bass I wanted, and I did feel it had a veiled sound - I know the veil is controversial, some people say it’s there, some people don’t. It was like the sound was initially a bit distant and I’d have to concentrate or listen for a while to get used to it.

With the 58X I haven’t experienced that, it feels like the sound is presented more openly, and the bass is slightly more accentuated- it still isn’t a bassy headphone but is more like the right balance for me. The lower impedance of 150 ohms makes them noticeably easier to drive as well.

I think if you find the vocals a bit shouty on the 650 then the 58X might work for you, as the bass will sound a bit more prominent and louder, with the mids lower, as you turn it up.

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #3,042 of 4,845
Yeah I’d agree. I had the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX which is the HD650 in different colors/cable.

It didn’t really gel with me though and I sold it after a few months. The HD6XX didn’t quite have the bass I wanted, and I did feel it had a veiled sound - I know the veil is controversial, some people say it’s there, some people don’t. It was like the sound was initially a bit distant and I’d have to concentrate or listen for a while to get used to it.

With the 58X I haven’t experienced that, it feels like the sound is presented more openly, and the bass is slightly more accentuated- it still isn’t a bassy headphone but is more like the right balance for me. The lower impedance of 150 ohms makes them noticeably easier to drive as well.

I think if you find the vocals a bit shouty on the 650 then the 58X might work for you, as the bass will sound a bit more prominent and louder, with the mids lower, as you turn it up.

Check out the Schiit Loki. This little gem has the ability to fine tune the sound of most headphones to ones liking.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,043 of 4,845
Do you think with the foam mod that the 58x sounds like the 660s?
Here's a troll. Hd58x is Not an end game and a pair with a great amp will not produce great improvements. In this three pages this headphone became the new reference. I'm not the new Tyll but he didn't like even a little variation from his beloved hd600, like the hd660. Imagine what HE would think about this bass elevation, high-mid recession and other different wrong thing that decent consumer product does. Reading about the "similarity with hd660" in this thread I was convinced to buy a jubilee, and as an opera singer, I found their weird tonal balance that mask the high mids transforming an opera into a pop concert. And you asterisk in your bad word will not mask the reality. A very young guy who fight to defend the new toy writing with angry, trolling and mentioning Tyll just to offend. I hope you will grow up and write less asterisk to mask your rage, that mak a frustration that mask something else.

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,044 of 4,845

I not sure how you consider that the 58X has elevated bass, it just has bass extension and can actually reproduce sub-bass unlike many open headphones but it's not elevated, bleeding in the mids or destroying the music it sounds great in jazz with drums and big bass notes.

The 650 is great for example, but I'm not sure if a headphone truly is neutral if it's unable to reproduce an entire spectrum of sound that is sub-bass, I also don't feel like it lacks mids in any stretch but I can see you hating the tonality, I lack other standards but I can understand this issue with the headphone maybe it's not great for the type of music you listen to, I listen to some orchestras but not that much and almost always instrumental songs only so that's probably it.

About it not being end game worthy, well I can't agree or disagree since I don't own high end gear but I still remember the guy with that Stax 700 saying the 58x were great and as enjoyable and other people with high end gear liking the 58x, so I think the 58x has end game potential? Maybe not for your style but for some people it has

I still remember this review, it's well written and in the end he likes the 58x more than the Focal Elex (which is scary since I dream about buying a Focal)
https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd58x-vs-focal-elex-comparison

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #3,045 of 4,845
IMG_20181219_092809_Bokeh-01.jpeg Just dropping by to say I have joined the club - so far so good. Just doing some break-in. No thoughts on sound just yet, want to give them time. My reference is the AD700x which have a massive sound stage and low OHM. Right now I only have a Fiio 10k - but have a Liquid Spark on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back