Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Dec 21, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3,076 of 4,845
As much as I enjoyed reading the back and forth banter between you guys, I must say that I find @Sharpty 's interesting. Worst case scenario it either does nothing to the sound. Best case, it improves these things even further. I have that "itch" too, and I do scratch it every now and then. I did with my MSR7 and by accident turned a 7/10 headphone to a 9/10 when everyone was saying that the only way to enjoy them is at stock. Searching a bit deeper than "I like these cans" can sometimes result in finding treasures. Most of the time you'll find just soil, but every now and then, someone comes across something worthwhile. For 150$, I'm inclined to get a second pair of 58x and mod the hell out of them, to the point they're basically a different can. I mean, why not? If I can do it, I will. Although it'll have to wait until I can upgrade my source chain. I don't know what DAC I'll get, but for amping, that Massdrop THX AAA 789 looks sweet. Plus balanced, which is better to have than to not have.

With all that said, Zeos received some magnets in an unboxing video and said that he was going to use them with the 58x because people were saying they improved things. I'd wait for his impressions before trying. Although Z is a bit overzealous and only deals in either "amazing!" or "worthless trash", I do trust his judgement. Not so much his taste in sound, but the guy knows his stuff.

PS : I gotta get one of these flux capacitors and use them to turbocharge the voice coil of my MSR7. I also think about mass loading the back with dark matter enriched uranium, but that may kill the bass without a warp drive amp.

Well I found the post you're talking about, like I said most people are putting them on reverse of what they "should" be.

Reply from Zeos; "So I bought these and tried it. I think it makes them sound a bit dull. I would peel the magnets away and it opened the sound up. Still an interesting experiment."

Not a surprising result when magnets are used in the attracted direction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZReviews/comments/9truex/hd58x_mod_that_workssharing_my_discovery/

Also as far as amps go, the Liquid Spark is a budget beast. I think balanced amps are overhyped for the most part but what do i know. I take everything Zeos says with a pound of salt

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,077 of 4,845
There's absolutely nothing wrong with modding. Go look at the HE560 and HE500 threads. I owned both and all I did was mod and tweak them. Lol.

If you do happen to do the magnet mod and post some positive results. Hell , I'll try it myself. They are $150 cans. I don't see anything wrong with modding the schiit out of them. I did it to $600+ cans. Lol.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #3,078 of 4,845
what are you guys 12?

With the amount of interest in modding, I'd think people might actually be interested in trying something besides felt and foam removal
Hahaha. Come on! What, adults can't have a little fun? Don't be such a robot.

Nothing wrong with modding. If it makes you happy, have at it. Just one thing. You wrote that no on seems to have tried your particular mod. Are you sure no headphone mfr has implemented that design in stock/factory form? Maybe some headphone engineers have tried it, and the reason it hasn't gone mainstream is because it doesn't really add much if any benefit to the sound. I would think mods to the enclosure and pads would yield far more significant differences.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #3,080 of 4,845
Hahaha. Come on! What, adults can't have a little fun? Don't be such a robot.

Nothing wrong with modding. If it makes you happy, have at it. Just one thing. You wrote that no on seems to have tried your particular mod. Are you sure no headphone mfr has implemented that design in stock/factory form? Maybe some headphone engineers have tried it, and the reason it hasn't gone mainstream is because it doesn't really add much if any benefit to the sound. I would think mods to the enclosure and pads would yield far more significant differences.

It would be more expensive from a manufacturing standpoint to add a bucking magnet, than it would be to just increase primary magnet strength. People have said quite a few times that the 58X is slightly less detailed than the 600 series so I'm wondering if they used a slightly less powerful magnet which would decrease control of the VC, giving a more relaxed/compressed sound.

I should also note that a bucking magnet should always be less powerful than the speaker magnet to keep from pulling the field away from the VC gap. For bucked loudspeaker magnets, they are in the range of 60-80% power compared to the driver magnet.

Ya it's funny the first time, but now there's a whole page dedicated to weak BTTF jokes. The SNR of these forums is pretty terrible

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3,081 of 4,845
It would be more expensive from a manufacturing standpoint to add a bucking magnet, than it would be to just increase primary magnet strength. People have said quite a few times that the 58X is slightly less detailed than the 600 series so I'm wondering if they used a slightly less powerful magnet which would decrease control of the VC, giving a more relaxed/compressed sound.

I should also note that a bucking magnet should always be less powerful than the speaker magnet to keep from pulling the field away from the VC gap. For bucked loudspeaker magnets, they are in the range of 60-80% power compared to the driver magnet.

Ya it's funny the first time, but now there's a whole page dedicated to weak BTTF jokes. The SNR of these forums is pretty terrible
br0u.jpg

In all seriousness though, people are/were doing the same thing with the magnets to the SHP9500. I never owned one, sadly (even though I got the much better 58x in their stead, I wanted a pair but they got discontinued), but people were putting magnets to the back of the drivers and it did have tangible benefits. It's safe to assume that in the case of the SHP9500, they cheaped out on the magnets to bring the cost down, so easy modding. I can't imagine why the same wouldn't be true of the 58x. I mean, Philips' most expensive (similar) can was the X2, and that cost like 200$ or whatever. Sennheiser's cans cost much more, so 150$ is "cheap af" for their 6 line, especially for something similar to the 660s.

Please do keep us informed about how it goes. If you try adding magnets to the 58x post any results here, good or bad, along with instructions on what you did. Thanks a bunch mate! Keep it up!

Dec 22, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #3,082 of 4,845
br0u.jpg

In all seriousness though, people are/were doing the same thing with the magnets to the SHP9500. I never owned one, sadly (even though I got the much better 58x in their stead, I wanted a pair but they got discontinued), but people were putting magnets to the back of the drivers and it did have tangible benefits. It's safe to assume that in the case of the SHP9500, they cheaped out on the magnets to bring the cost down, so easy modding. I can't imagine why the same wouldn't be true of the 58x. I mean, Philips' most expensive (similar) can was the X2, and that cost like 200$ or whatever. Sennheiser's cans cost much more, so 150$ is "cheap af" for their 6 line, especially for something similar to the 660s.

Please do keep us informed about how it goes. If you try adding magnets to the 58x post any results here, good or bad, along with instructions on what you did. Thanks a bunch mate! Keep it up!

I owned a set of 9500's for a few months, ended up giving them to my brother because I didn't really like them. Bass extension just wasn't there, highs were overdone. I wish I had picked up 4 more when they were like $50 tho, now people are asking 250 for them on ebay. Definitely not worth that kinda money.

Here's a thread on magnet mods, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stacking-magnets.839878/page-8
I take everything with a grain of salt because what one person calls an improvement in sound, might actually be a decrease in measurable performance.
I posted some links and tried to explain how external magnets affect the field across the VC. Might be helpful for some people

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,085 of 4,845
I can spend hours listening to Infected Mushroom, Groove Delight, Purple Disco Machine ....etc. The sub-bass reproduction of the 58x is excellent for EDM.

I know this isn't the place to recommend tracks, but Baro by Recondite is pretty amazing for testing headphones

Dec 25, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #3,088 of 4,845
I can spend hours listening to Infected Mushroom, Groove Delight, Purple Disco Machine ....etc. The sub-bass reproduction of the 58x is excellent for EDM.
I’d never thought that a Sennheiser HD6 would be able to produce enough bass for EDM but here the 58x is, and it’s great

Dec 26, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #3,090 of 4,845
Hi, I'm not into the hi-fi world that much so I thought it might be interesting to give my point of view on this headphone. Coming from an HD 598, I wasn't that impressed when I first plugged it in my Fiio M3. The volume was a bit quieter due to the impedance but still loud enough though ; I've probably lost 20% of the "initial" volume, which is fine. Then I tried the headphone with my main audio source, which is a a Focusrite 2i4 as a DAC > Yamaha AV receiver > computer. I tried as many genres as possible and wasn't that impressed by the 58X, but then I switched back to the 598 and I must say that I actually was the problem. The difference is phenomenal and especially with voices. The song that blew my mind is Dreams Today by Efterklang. It's day and night compared to the 598 and I can't think of a genre or even a specific song that would "sound" better on the 598.

Trebles are a bit sharp/shrill but once again I'm probably the problem here, my ears aren't really trained as you can imagine. Anyway, I now do understand why someone said that one should avoid the HD 599 and go straight for the 58X.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back