Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 IEM
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

rantng

Headphoneus Supremus
Came across this press release for the EDC3, a three BA follow up to the Massdrop x Nuforce EDC, priced at $99. I’ve copied & pasted the press release which can be found here:

Optoma NuForce and Massdrop Announce Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 In-Ear Monitor, Bringing Audiophile Sound at a Mainstream Price

New earphones follow the success of award-winning Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEMs.

LAS VEGAS (PRWEB) JANUARY 09, 2018

Optoma NuForce, a world-leading manufacturer of audio products, today announced its next collaboration with Massdrop, a community-driven commerce platform, at CES 2018 with the new Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 IEMs (In-Ear Monitors). On the heels of the success of the award-winning Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEMs, which won The Absolute Sound’s “Product of the Year 2017” award in the earphone/IEM category, both companies are thrilled to release new IEMs for discerning yet price-conscious audiophiles.

Made with direction from Massdrop’s audiophile enthusiast community, the EDC3 IEMs combine key high-end audio elements and attributes to create a standout product that meets their highly refined needs. Featuring three balanced armature drivers for true audiophile performance, the IEMs will be available in early February for just $99 – one-third the price of competitive products.

Features include:

• Premium sound: The Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 IEMs meet the needs of Massdrop’s discerning audiophile community, with three balanced armature drivers for spacious, crystal-clear and resolving sound.
  • Handpicked drivers: The three balanced armature drivers used in the EDC3 are handpicked and measured to match the target frequency response.
  • Premium quality control: Similar to any valuable high-end earphones and speakers, the EDC3’s left and right earpieces are measured to match each other within +/- 2 dB.
  • Proprietary crossover design: As any other NuForce multi-driver in-ear monitor, the EDC3 utilizes an advanced proprietary crossover design that allows the drivers to provide seamless and smooth frequency transition from one driver to another.
  • Replaceable cables: Each EDC3 comes with two cables: a braided cable for superior audio and a microphone cable for convenience when listening on the go.
  • Lexan earpieces: The EDC3 earpieces are acoustically calculated to provide the best sound quality with the most comfortable fit and superior noise isolation.

“Our goal at Optoma has always been to create incredible high-end audio products that are accessibly priced,” said Jyri Jokirinta, head of NuForce at Optoma Technology. “Following our mutual success with the award-winning Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEMs, which continue to be a great seller, we’re thrilled to bring an even more fully refined product to the Massdrop community, marrying incredible sound, design, and features for an unbelievable price.”

“Following the success of the Massdrop x NuForce EDC IEMs that we released this past June, we’re excited to collaborate again with NuForce to introduce the second Massdrop x NuForce model,” said Christian Tanimoto, audiophile custom product manager at Massdrop. “We believe the EDC3 will be another great addition to our custom product lineup, delivering the best IEM sound quality to our community for under $100.”

The Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 IEMs come with silicone and foam ear tips in multiple sizes, a carrying pouch, and two cables. They will be available for purchase starting early February on Massdrop’s website.

About Optoma Technology
Optoma Technology is a world-leading designer and manufacturer of award-winning video and audio products for home entertainment and theater, ProAV and business. With a focus on premium quality and functional style, products are designed with the end-user experience in mind. Optoma and its audio brand NuForce deliver stunning crystal-clear images and exceptional sound with ultimate reliability. Optoma Technology is part of The Optoma Group, which has continental headquarters in the U.S., Europe, and Asia. For more information, please visit: http://www.optomausa.com.

About Massdrop
Massdrop is a community-driven commerce platform where members can connect, learn, and shop with people who share their interests. Its enthusiast communities range from audiophile, outdoor, and men’s apparel to cooking, quilting, tech, and more. Along with collaborating with other brands to make new products, Massdrop carries the most requested products from other manufacturers and helps small designers bring their product ideas to life. Founded in San Francisco in 2012, Massdrop is now home to millions of members.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 102
According to the release, sometime in early February, although Massdrop hasn't announced a drop yet. I don't recall Massdrop ever offering immediate purchases on a new collaboration/product, so I suspect it might mean the first drop will be in early February.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 102
GetImage (23).png

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 102
“Our goal at Optoma has always been to create incredible high-end audio products that are accessibly priced,”

Then how do you explain the HEM's :smiling_imp:

Okay but seriously. Wish these were MMCX cause I suspect neither of the two cables will be the greatest but at $99 you can't expect that or complain. Though I'd like the IT01(one better cable) approach and let the mic cable be an optional add-on. Hopefully a smidge better than the HEM6 out of the box and now at an appropriate price.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 102
Hi Guys. You can find my review of the EDC 3 on this review page.

I would like to thank the Massdrop team (especially Christian) for this wonderful opportunity.

I'll try to answer any queries anybody have of the unit here (and perhaps make comparisons).

Please forgive me if my replies are slow over the course of the next few days as its the start of Chinese New Year in two days and its probably the most important celebration for my family.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 102
Some closeup shot of the EDC3.

EDC3-01-L.jpg

EDC3-02-L.jpg

You really can't tell EDC3 from the EDC easily apart, as the overall design is quite similar. However this is not a bad thing as the original design works out very well for the EDC, so it will work just as well on EDC3. More impression to come...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 102

I would like to thank the Massdrop team (especially Christian) for this wonderful opportunity.

I'll try to answer any queries anybody have of the unit here (and perhaps make comparisons).

Please forgive me if my replies are slow over the course of the next few days as its the start of Chinese New Year in two days and its probably the most important celebration for my family.
Thanks for the review. Per the review, they sound different enough from the original EDC for me to dive in. I don't have a problem spending $700 on headphones and other pieces of equipment, but IEMs are a different story. If I find something I like sub-$150, I'm excited. I look forward to the drop for these.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #13 of 102

How do the bass compare to the Fiio F9 Pro? I love the bass on them for the price but the treble spike and thin vocals midrange made me sold them away, from your reviews, the mids and treble on the EDC3 should not be an issue

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #14 of 102
Took me a few more days than I originally planned (as I was rather busy with the CNY stuff) but here is some impression:

The construction is very solid. I really like the semi-transparent housing and the NuForce's choice of using 2 pins cable instead of MMCX on their IEM line-up. It comes with a good range of accessories as well as an extra mic+remote cable for making a phone call. The only thing I'll like to see is the NuForce making replacement cable available for purchase or even comes out with Type-C / Lightning option in the future.

EDC3 is tuned pretty much with a classic warm+smooth signature. Treble is fairly well extended but in a smooth way. You can still hear good detail and sparkle but it won't pierce anyone's eardrum anytime soon, Mid-range is slightly forwarded and vocal is a bit on the sweet side, though I won't go as far as to call it being intimate or in-your-face. Bass has decent reach but not quite the rumbling type. Soundstage is about average. Compared to its little brother, the Massdrop x NuForce EDC, which has a bigger bass hit and more of a fun and easy going sound signature, EDC3 is tilting more toward a stage monitor tuning but remains versatile and balanced enough as a good all-arounder. I reckon the EDC3 will go quite well with all sort of mainstream music but might not be the best choice for those who demand extra fine detail or tons of bass. Another way of looking at this is that EDC3 will be quite a good choice for those who are looking for a more refined and matured EDC.

I guess it is hard to look at any $100 triple driver IEM without comparing it to the first of its kind, the 1MORE triple driver E1001. While 1MORE did offer more drivers than any $100 IEM at its time, the actual sound quality wasn't really quite the best you can get for the price, considering that you can already find really good sounding sub-$100 single dynamic IEM back then. In many ways, 1MORE was more concerned about winning the number game rather than getting the sound quality right. Fast forward 1.5yrs till today, the EDC3 sounds comparatively much better in every way - at least I don't think it will fall short when compared to any IEM of the $100 price range, regardless of driver number. In fact, the first thought after I listened to EDC3 is that it might just give the FiiO F9 (the regular version, not the pro version) a good run of its money. After spending quite some time going forth and back between the two, I'll say they are pretty close in overall quality (though F9 has more of a mild U-shaped sound signature), I will give the nob to EDC3 for being slightly more refined, especially over treble and finer detail.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 102
I got a copy of these for eval and sent CEETEE some brief impressions:

Massdrop EDC3: Tonally, these are almost perfect. They might be a bit soft up top for my tastes- (you know) my personal preference leans toward a bit of lower-treble bite ala Noble Savant. I like stuff on the bright or even slightly aggressive side. (That's why HD600 > HD650 for me.) Other than the upper-most frequencies, I'd consider these pretty darn flat with a very slight low-end tilt. By tilt, I mean they're still quite flat. Picture a coffee table raised on one side by about an inch.

There is no ringing or frequency spikes whatsoever. I can listen for hours and not notice anything bad or sense any sort of fatigue. TBH, I've been using these quite a bit lately because they're right there on my desk. And they've been getting far more listening time than expected, considering all of the other (more costly) options I have within reach. The headstage is at least as good as anything I've heard in this price range. The same goes for dynamics and overall clarity. The bass is solid- you won't get it mixed up for a dynamic driver or hybrid. The resolution here is real; not the boosted high-frequency kind.

The fit for me is only matched by Westone universals. In other words, they fit me better than any other over-the-ear-cabled IEM. As a result, isolation is fantastic too. This is with the medium silicon tips. I didn't try any of the others. One more thing: I really like the mic'd/ braided cable. It has the perfect amount of weight to it; not too thin or too thick.

Bottom line: It's a really honest sounding IEM. Plug it into your phone and just enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back