Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Dec 1, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #421 of 491
I can only assume the CTH has a similar Cavalli signature to the LCX which I do have, in which case i would guess you would not be gaining much. I personally chose the LCX over the CTH because I don't like to maintain tubes or let them warm up, not to mention they must always be on top of the stack of multiple boxes. I do have the 789 which is great for hard to drive HPs, but I far prefer the LCX sound signature and use it often. I too have the R2R which smooths about any amp out to my liking. You have selected some great equipment, enjoy the music.

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #422 of 491
I would second eeagle's recommendation. You already have the Cavalli sound, so I wouldn't add unless it was something different. I have two Cavalli amps, but only because I was curious how good a $100.00 (actually $80.00 for an open box) amp could be.

If I were you and went for a third amp, I would look for a different sound signature. Variety is awesome.

Shane D

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #423 of 491
I can only assume the CTH has a similar Cavalli signature to the LCX which I do have, in which case i would guess you would not be gaining much. I personally chose the LCX over the CTH because I don't like to maintain tubes or let them warm up, not to mention they must always be on top of the stack of multiple boxes. I do have the 789 which is great for hard to drive HPs, but I far prefer the LCX sound signature and use it often. I too have the R2R which smooths about any amp out to my liking. You have selected some great equipment, enjoy the music.
The CTH and LC (have the first run original not LCX) are quite different in sound the CTH is actually a bit brighter sounding than the LC and does not have that liquid warmth that I like so much but the CTH is a very good amp for the money though and I like it quite well with the HD-6XX’s.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #424 of 491
Hi @Ninja Theory,

As others have said, best summed up by both @eegale & @buke9, it all depends on you & your preferences.

Just my humble 2 cents, LCX isn't going to add much to what you already have unless you want to add another sound flavour to your audio chain...
On my end, my 789 is on its way so I can't say how it will sit technically along with the CTH & LCX but given CTH is a Tube Hybrid & the other head amps are solid state, as said, different sound flavours, just depends on what you feel you need.
CTH, as a tube amp will definitely give you more colour & certainly if you find a good tube with good synergy for your entire audio chain.

The final point is if your better half is already more than pissed, I would respectfully lay off till a better time...if ever.
The last thing you want to do is make home life hell for no reason (not that I ever experienced that by the way) but why be tempted when it could cause a problem in the first place.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #425 of 491
Thanks guys, great advice all round. I decided to put the LCX on ice (for now). I will buy it in the coming months to satisfy my curiosity. In the meanwhile I bought a Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition for my gaming setup. I got a great deal on a well loved one year old unit from a friend. Will stay subbed here though, it seems there's plenty love and passion for the LCX here :dt880smile:

I'll also report back on the CTH vs the 789 (when my CTH arrives). For anyone who doesn't have (or hasn't heard) the 789, I must say, I have never before heard an amp that so clearly allows the DAC's characteristics to shine through for what they are. I cannot imagine a setup without it. Highly recommended. And let me add to this... the Airist R2R is an incredible little DAC. I consider it some of the best money (south of $500) that one can spend on a DAC. Double thumbs up recommendation.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #426 of 491
Sorry I am new to this ICs thingy and planning to buy this amp with sdac. My question is, can you actually use the balanced mode if you only connect through the dual rca or choose that mode? Like will it sound? Or balanced can only be used when dual 3 pin xlrs are used?

I am also planning to use this with a dap, wm1a to be exact and am looking at those 3.5mm to dual 3 xlr male and 3.5mm to rca male ICs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #427 of 491
Sorry I am new to this ICs thingy and planning to buy this amp with sdac. My question is, can you actually use the balanced mode if you only connect through the dual rca or choose that mode? Like will it sound? Or balanced can only be used when dual 3 pin xlrs are used?

I am also planning to use this with a dap, wm1a to be exact and am looking at those 3.5mm to dual 3 xlr male and 3.5mm to rca male ICs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you want to hook up your DAP, you will have to buy this cable:
20190611_115830_HDR.jpg

I bought it on Amazon and it shipped from Hong Kong.

Then you can use 1/4" or balanced out. I am not sure that the unit is truly balanced, so I doubt it matters.
Mr. Cavalli did state though that the LCX sounds better XLR out.

My setup is NW-ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC to various amps.

Shane D

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #428 of 491
If you want to hook up your DAP, you will have to buy this cable:

I bought it on Amazon and it shipped from Hong Kong.

Then you can use 1/4" or balanced out. I am not sure that the unit is truly balanced, so I doubt it matters.
Mr. Cavalli did state though that the LCX sounds better XLR out.

My setup is NW-ZX300 DAP to SMSL SU-8 DAC to various amps.

Shane D
Zx300 has the usb dac function while the wm1 series don’t based on what I am reading previously. Could be wrong as new fw updates may have solved this. Will have to confirm.

thanks for your inputs.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #429 of 491
Zx300 has the usb dac function while the wm1 series don’t based on what I am reading previously. Could be wrong as new fw updates may have solved this. Will have to confirm.

thanks for your inputs.

Sorry if I gave you bad advice! So, are you thinking about headphone out via a 3.5mm X 2 RCA cable? If so, you would be bypassing the SDAC, I believe. Maybe just buy the LCX?

Hopefully someone else can pipe in with better advice.:)

Shane D

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #430 of 491
Sorry if I gave you bad advice! So, are you thinking about headphone out via a 3.5mm X 2 RCA cable? If so, you would be bypassing the SDAC, I believe. Maybe just buy the LCX?

Hopefully someone else can pipe in with better advice.:)

Shane D
I do appreciate the feedback mate. No need to apologize. As I am also not sure as well. :L3000:

That’s what mostly I’m reading on the wm1 thread. And yes I am thinking about using that cable. I also ordered 3.5mm to dual 3-pin xlr.

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #431 of 491
I do appreciate the feedback mate. No need to apologize. As I am also not sure as well. :L3000:

That’s what mostly I’m reading on the wm1 thread. And yes I am thinking about using that cable. I also ordered 3.5mm to dual 3-pin xlr.

I tried a 3.5mm to dual XLR to feed a balanced amp, but it didn't work for me. Introduced massive hum into the chain and was not usable. And, again, you will be bypassing the SDAC.

Shane D

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #432 of 491
@Shan @lesale08 The beauty of the LCX w/SDAC is that the SDAC can be used independently, in fact the LCX doesn't even need to be powered on to use the SDAC for another AMP, it just uses USB power (I use it with my Spark). The LCX does not require a balanced input to provide a balanced output to the 4 pin XLR, the SE input will work fine. However, unlike the 789 the LCX does have two separate internal paths so it should benefit SQ wise, from a balanced DAC input.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #433 of 491
@Shan @lesale08 The beauty of the LCX w/SDAC is that the SDAC can be used independently, in fact the LCX doesn't even need to be powered on to use the SDAC for another AMP, it just uses USB power (I use it with my Spark). The LCX does not require a balanced input to provide a balanced output to the 4 pin XLR, the SE input will work fine. However, unlike the 789 the LCX does have two separate internal paths so it should benefit SQ wise, from a balanced DAC input.
Thanks for the input. That's interesting. I am currently using the lcx through usb plugged to an old lappy and is working fine.

Will report back once I have the rca and xlr cables.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #434 of 491
The LCX is a decent amp for $300.00. It is a great amp for $200.00, which is what I paid.

Today it is on MassDrop for $160.00!! That is a screamin' deal.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back