Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Sep 20, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #362 of 491
I have heard good things about the Cavalli Liquid Spark. I may just have to pick one up myself. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions.

The open boxes are a great price ($80.00 VS $109.00), BUT you only get a 90 day warranty. And once you place an order on their site it is uncancellable. Not a good site for impulse buyers!:ksc75smile:

I think though I might go back in November for the 887...

Shane D

Sep 20, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #364 of 491
The 887 is very tempting for sure. Would make a good birthday gift (sends link to wife).

Maybe a Christmas gift? I am selling some items and putting the money away. I will probably have enough set aside in a month. It will cost about $650.00ish, landed in Canada.
Might ask the wife to chip in as a Christmas gift, if I am short.:relaxed:

Shane D

PS: My Spark is in town today and will be delivered on Monday.:L3000:

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #365 of 491
Maybe a Christmas gift? I am selling some items and putting the money away. I will probably have enough set aside in a month. It will cost about $650.00ish, landed in Canada.
Might ask the wife to chip in as a Christmas gift, if I am short.:relaxed:

Shane D

PS: My Spark is in town today and will be delivered on Monday.:L3000:
My birthday comes before Christmas so I am hoping...

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #366 of 491
Sep 23, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #367 of 491
I have heard good things about the Cavalli Liquid Spark. I may just have to pick one up myself. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions.

I got my little amp today. Nice sound and plenty of power. The better quality music sounds better, unsurprisingly. Looking forward to comparing to different amps and trying different headphones.

Shane D

PS: This is a Lot of amp for $80.00.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #368 of 491
Copied from the Liquid Spark thread:

Sitting here for last few hours comparing the LCX (balanced) against the Spark (SE). I have volume matched the amps using my little cheapie decibel meter.

Talk about the law of diminishing returns! The LCX has a touch more bass when it booms, a touch more detail with the instruments and a bit better midrange, but boy is it close.

If I was going to compare, I would say the LCX is a 10 and the Spark is a 9. But with someone having more technical skills than me, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't more like 10 to 9.1, or 10 to 9.2. The differences are very subtle.

I left the cables plugged into each amp. I just switched back forth with the 3.5mm jacks on my Beyerdynamic T5p.2's. Took less than 5 seconds to switch back and forth. Source was ZX300 DAP through an SMSL SU-8 DAC. I would replay the songs through each amp. Sometimes I changed over in mid song (my DAP plays both outputs at once, so both are always on).

Comparing against the Burson Fun-Classic will be a lot trickier unless I get some RCA splitters.

I doubt that I will keep the Spark, as I already have the LCX. But, if you do not have an amp, you should consider starting with this. If you turn out to like the Cavilli sound and I do, it is great value. Supposedly the JDS Atom is a much better amp, technically.

For those of you that already own it, upgrading would be a very tough call for me. If you look at $109.99 (mine was open box for $80.00!!) vs $300.00, that is crazy. It is not three times better or even close to being twice as good. If you have money to spare and every incremental gain is worth it, go for it.

If you have a good DAP (or any good source), one quality pair of headphones then this would give you a great little set-up on a budget. One caveat: I don't listen loud. If you do, my words are probably meaningless. Also, I don't have any hard to drive headphones.
YMMV.

I am much more impressed with this little cheapie than I thought I would be. Great time to be getting into the hobby!

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #369 of 491
Talk about the law of diminishing returns! The LCX has a touch more bass when it booms, a touch more detail with the instruments and a bit better midrange, but boy is it close.

I am much more impressed with little cheapie than I thought I would be. Great time to be getting into the hobby!

Shane D
Yes this hobby is all about "diminishing returns!" Nice test using a common source/DAC and balanced volume. I have similar equipment LCX + SDAC DAC/AMP, SMSL SU-8 DAC, and could not resist the Spark when it was available. Testing equipment by listening is always a subjective challenge for me as well. I hear big differences in HPs, but when it comes to DACs, Amps, cables/wire types, I am hearing challenged and just don't hear the huge differences other speak of. That said I do like the Cavalli sound produced by these amps and they are a favorite as well.

I bought the SU-8 for its balanced capability, but must admit most of my experiments with balanced in or out have only proven to provide just power/volume difference. with little discernible music experience difference, when played at the same listening level. I trust you were using the SE/RCA SU-8 inputs during your test.

I like that my LCX has the SDAC built in, I plug its output into the Spark and it provides the Grace DAC input passively to the Spark without even turning the LCX on.

For me the LCX + SDAC DAC/AMP is a real jack of all trades, great design, but if someone is just wanting to touch a toe into Cavalli sound don't pass up the Spark

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #370 of 491
Yes this hobby is all about "diminishing returns!" Nice test using a common source/DAC and balanced volume. I have similar equipment LCX + SDAC DAC/AMP, SMSL SU-8 DAC, and could not resist the Spark when it was available. Testing equipment by listening is always a subjective challenge for me as well. I hear big differences in HPs, but when it comes to DACs, Amps, cables/wire types, I am hearing challenged and just don't hear the huge differences other speak of. That said I do like the Cavalli sound produced by these amps and they are a favorite as well.

I bought the SU-8 for its balanced capability, but must admit most of my experiments with balanced in or out have only proven to provide just power/volume difference. with little discernible music experience difference, when played at the same listening level. I trust you were using the SE/RCA SU-8 inputs during your test.

I like that my LCX has the SDAC built in, I plug its output into the Spark and it provides the Grace DAC input passively to the Spark without even turning the LCX on.

For me the LCX + SDAC DAC/AMP is a real jack of all trades, great design, but if someone is just wanting to touch a toe into Cavalli sound don't pass up the Spark

What do you think of the Cavalli LCX SE out? I have never used it since Dr. Cavalli said it was inferior. To me it is balanced out via XLR with the LCX. And then SE out to the Burson Fun-Classic. These two amps sound VERY different to me and it is not about the inputs/outputs. The LCX just sounds different. One person called it tubey and I guess I would agree with that. It does alter the sound. I find the Burson much more clear/clean. I enjoy them both because they are very different. Also, I find that certain headphones work better with each. I really like the HD58X's with the LCX and the Grado's with the Burson. Of course with the Burson, I do use the Schiit Loki. Obviously accuracy is not a big thing with me.:grin:

I am sure that any true audiophile/purist would hate my set-up outside of the SMSL SU-8 for two reasons:
1) The LCX measures horribly and therefore must be junk.
2) The Loki alters the music which should only ever be played exactly as it was recorded in the studio originally.
I think that my system, four plus years in the making, has NEVER sounded better.:L3000:

Shane D

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #371 of 491
@Shane D I've not had a problem using SE on the LCX, in fact most of the time I have my Elex in the XLR, and my FOSTEX TR-X00 plugged into the SE jack giving me a choice of open or closed, and interestingly they seem to be the same volume level so fun to swap between the two.

I rarely use equalization so have never pursued a Loki. It could certainly balance any perceived flaws in the music.

Where had you found the LCX to measured horribly? Again tough to hear some measurable spec differences.

In the end it is all about what sounds good to you

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #372 of 491
@Shane D I've not had a problem using SE on the LCX, in fact most of the time I have my Elex in the XLR, and my FOSTEX TR-X00 plugged into the SE jack giving me a choice of open or closed, and interestingly they seem to be the same volume level so fun to swap between the two.

I rarely use equalization so have never pursued a Loki. It could certainly balance any perceived flaws in the music.

Where had you found the LCX to measured horribly? Again tough to hear some measurable spec differences.

In the end it is all about what sounds good to you

Have you ever heard of ASR? That is THE measurement forum. I like to read them, plus Headfi, plus MassDrop and then review YouTube videos.
Yes, I am a little bit headphone obsessed.:yum:

Shane D

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #373 of 491
They just advised that the LCX has been found and is being shipped back to me. I should receive it Monday.

I hope all this trouble is over and I can enjoy my LCX.
The LCX arrived this morning in a badly beat up box. I am going to go through it with a fine tooth comb and then hook it all up and give it a thorough listening. I hope it all works good.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #374 of 491
Have you ever heard of ASR? That is THE measurement forum. I like to read them, plus Headfi, plus MassDrop and then review YouTube videos.
Yes, I am a little bit headphone obsessed.:yum:

Shane D
Thanks, I just registered on the ASR forum; I recall seeing some links to it in other discussions so now I can follow it more closely.

Yes, they were not kind to the LCX, but must admit it is still a go to favorite in my "stack" of amps, yes I too am deep into this hobby.

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #375 of 491
The LCX arrived this morning in a badly beat up box. I am going to go through it with a fine tooth comb and then hook it all up and give it a thorough listening. I hope it all works good.

I REALLY hope this goes well for you!

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back