Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #1,411 of 2,030
I haven't had an opportunity to read the entire thread yet. Just a few quick questions. Are the cup connectors 2.5 or 3.5? Any chance these can be driven close to properly with an LG V40 or Opus #1s?

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,412 of 2,030
I haven't had an opportunity to read the entire thread yet. Just a few quick questions. Are the cup connectors 2.5 or 3.5? Any chance these can be driven close to properly with an LG V40 or Opus #1s?
The cup connectors are 3.5mm.

My guess is that the Elex can be decently driven by an LG with a Quad DAC, but you'll need an after market cable or adapter since neither of the Elex's two supplied cables are 3.5mm (1/4 inch and XLR). I have the LG G8 and have not tried the Elex with it (no 3.5mm connector) but its Quad DAC drives the Hifiman 400i and Sennheiser 6XX fine; both are harder to drive than the Elex (and neither could be driven to anywhere near acceptable volume levels by any of my previous phones).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #1,413 of 2,030
The cup connectors are 3.5mm.

My guess is that the Elex can be decently driven by an LG with a Quad DAC, but you'll need an after market cable or adapter since neither of the Elex's two supplied cables are 3.5mm (1/4 inch and XLR). I have the LG G8 and have not tried the Elex with it (no 3.5mm connector) but its Quad DAC drives the Hifiman 400i and Sennheiser 6XX fine; both are harder to drive than the Elex (and neither could be driven to anywhere near acceptable volume levels by any of my previous phones).
Thank you. I have plenty of cables that will work. I read they were about the same as the 650. I didn't feel like my V30 could drive the 400s to its full potential. I prefer the 58X, and I think that's about top out for the LG phones. I'm very interested in the Elex.

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #1,414 of 2,030
I'm also looking at getting either an Elex or an LCD2 Classic.

The headphones I already have are the Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and AKG K712 Pro.

What I wanted was an HD650 with more sub bass extension and impact. I'm not sure whether the Elex or the LCD2 Classic would give me the better combination of sub bass impact and extension?

I also want a headphone that is the most different to the 3 I already own. For example, I've heard people say that the Elex sounds like an even punchier and more dynamic version of the DT 1990 Pro (with less treble) - so it sounds like they'd be too similar to warrant owning both?
I say get the LCD2 Classic. I sold mine then got the Clear and if there is one thing I miss from it it's the sub bass extension and impact which you are looking far. I've also owned all the headphones you have and I think the Classic is the most different of the bunch, it is a Planar.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,415 of 2,030
Damn, Elex pads all sold out on Massdrop now.

When they were available, were they available for international shipping? Not sure if I can be bothered to go through the hassle of organizing a 3rd party courier and paying import tax to get a set of earpads...

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,416 of 2,030
Yep they were available world-wide.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,417 of 2,030
Welp. Got my Elex today, from what little I can tell, they sound pretty good. Unfortunately there's a pretty obvious channel imbalance with everything shifted noticeably to the right side

After some troubleshooting I actually figured out it isn't the drivers, cables or source at all, it's the pads. I think everyone is familiar with how important the Elex pads are to the tuning, but I have never come across this before where swapping the pads actually moves the imbalance to the other side. Clearly one of the pads is defective in some way, though they look and feel exactly the same.

Obviously I already contacted support for a replacement, but the turn around will take some time and Drop just replaces the full product.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #1,419 of 2,030
Also, how secure is the fit of the Elex? Can you lie down flat without it slipping backwards off your head? Can you headbang pretty violently without it sliding out of position? (Let me know your approx head size just for reference).

(I hate loose fitting headphones).

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,420 of 2,030
Nov 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,422 of 2,030
Since you're asking this, I take it that the Elex is loose-fitting and falls slips out of position pretty easily if you look too far down/up?

They do move a bit yes. It just seems that their is more pressure on the top of my head from the head band than there is clamp from the ear cups. But what about the cable I linked to? Will that work with the Elex?

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,423 of 2,030
Also, how secure is the fit of the Elex? Can you lie down flat without it slipping backwards off your head? Can you headbang pretty violently without it sliding out of position? (Let me know your approx head size just for reference).

(I hate loose fitting headphones).
I have the Elear (Elex incoming), pretty sure fit on head is identical, and I haven’t tried them laying down as they are the office and not at home but I definitely wouldn’t attempt to head bang with them, they’re not *that* tight on my head... but they’re not as loose as the K712 or the Fidelity X2 (which were way too loose for me).

I feel they are secure on my head but not secure enough to head bang, in other words.

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,424 of 2,030
I have the Elear (Elex incoming), pretty sure fit on head is identical, and I haven’t tried them laying down as they are the office and not at home but I definitely wouldn’t attempt to head bang with them, they’re not *that* tight on my head... but they’re not as loose as the K712 or the Fidelity X2 (which were way too loose for me).

I feel they are secure on my head but not secure enough to head bang, in other words.

That's strange. I own both X2 and K712. X2 is one of the more secure fitting headphones I've owned. Not on the level of HD650, but I can tilt my head all the way forwards and all the way back and they won't fall off. Actually, same with the K712 because although they don't clamp much they're so light that the earcups wont't tend to pull the headphone off your head if you lean one way or the other.

Your Elears are more secure than your X2's? Did you buy the X2's used off someone with a big head? Or is your head on the smaller side? (Mine is pretty average).

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,425 of 2,030
That's strange. I own both X2 and K712. X2 is one of the more secure fitting headphones I've owned. Not on the level of HD650, but I can tilt my head all the way forwards and all the way back and they won't fall off. Actually, same with the K712 because although they don't clamp much they're so light that the earcups wont't tend to pull the headphone off your head if you lean one way or the other.

Your Elears are more secure than your X2's? Did you buy the X2's used off someone with a big head? Or is your head on the smaller side? (Mine is pretty average).

Yeah, I bought the X2 used and I sold them - as I didn’t use them because the cups hung loosely on my ears and I couldn’t even get the sound to sound right without manually pulling the cups up with my hands.

My K712 on the other hand I bought brand new and have no problem with fit but definitely wouldn’t head bang with them. However, they don’t shift just by leaning or regular use, but I don’t consider head banging to be “regular” use? :)

I may have a slightly smaller than average head, I don’t know. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back