Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,381 of 2,030
I'm also looking at getting either an Elex or an LCD2 Classic.

The headphones I already have are the Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and AKG K712 Pro.

What I wanted was an HD650 with more sub bass extension and impact. I'm not sure whether the Elex or the LCD2 Classic would give me the better combination of sub bass impact and extension?

I also want a headphone that is the most different to the 3 I already own. For example, I've heard people say that the Elex sounds like an even punchier and more dynamic version of the DT 1990 Pro (with less treble) - so it sounds like they'd be too similar to warrant owning both?

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #1,382 of 2,030
The price for Focal replacement pads are exorbitant; I think it is to prevent Elear owners from 'upgrading' by getting the Clear pads.

While changing the Elex pads, I pulled on the fabric of the earpad itself and yanked out a bit of the fabric. I superglued the fabric to the back of the earpad and now one of the stock pads depress more easily and my ear starts touching the driver. First world problems. :frowning2:

I have to recommend not buying replacement Focal pads - get the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, and ream the fenestrations with a Torx screwdriver. Without doing this the midrange reflects too much and sounds boomy. I used Torx T8, after starting with T6 and T7. This modded earpad fills in the midrange that is lacking in the Elex, and is to my ears the best sounding pads. And my ears don't touch the driver. And they're half the price of the Focal pads!

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,383 of 2,030
I'm also looking at getting either an Elex or an LCD2 Classic.

The headphones I already have are the Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and AKG K712 Pro.

What I wanted was an HD650 with more sub bass extension and impact. I'm not sure whether the Elex or the LCD2 Classic would give me the better combination of sub bass impact and extension?

I also want a headphone that is the most different to the 3 I already own. For example, I've heard people say that the Elex sounds like an even punchier and more dynamic version of the DT 1990 Pro (with less treble) - so it sounds like they'd be too similar to warrant owning both?

Besides your HD650, your headphones are fairly Neutral. (I've always wanted to hear the DT1990) For an HD650 upgrade with more subbass, I recommend the ZMF Aeolus. Check out the impressions, listen to a pair if you can. If you aren't familiar with ZMF, they are designed to be different signatures from one another not necessarily upgrades. The Aeolus is the most "HD650 Upgrade" headphone i have heard those lush mids and extended subbass. The highs are tame but not lacking so you can jam out without offense.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,384 of 2,030
What sound are you looking for? What do you want different from the Elex? What genre of music do you listen to and what signature do you prefer? Hard to say what an upgrade is without an idea of where you'd like to move from the Elex? I can tell you my upgrades but they are different signatures.

Honestly I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I listen mostly to instrumental music like movie scores, classical, jazz, etc. But I also listen to a fair amount of classic rock and some pop. Perhaps I like a lot of detail in my music. ‍

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,385 of 2,030
Aeolus aren't the most detailed ZMF but they aren't lacking either. I need to break out my Focal Elex to see how the details compare. They have been in their case for a bit. The Aeolus does have that lush, full soothing tone that makes Jazz feel like you're in a dark smokey club in need of a cigar and scotch. They have lots of character but aren't overly colored. Check out the Aeolus thread of interested. I don't want to derail this one.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,386 of 2,030
The price for Focal replacement pads are exorbitant; I think it is to prevent Elear owners from 'upgrading' by getting the Clear pads.!

The Focal pads are a clear money grab and you may Be right about focal trying to protect the Clear from an easy Elear mod.

That said, the Clear still has a clarity and detail advantage over the Elear / Elex so replacing the pads only gets you part way there.

I haven’t tried the Torx mod on my Dekoni pads. I have a spare set I bought so I may try that out today and see how it sounds.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,387 of 2,030
The Focal pads are a clear money grab and you may Be right about focal trying to protect the Clear from an easy Elear mod.

That said, the Clear still has a clarity and detail advantage over the Elear / Elex so replacing the pads only gets you part way there.

I haven’t tried the Torx mod on my Dekoni pads. I have a spare set I bought so I may try that out today and see how it sounds.

The Clear are more full sounding than the Elex while the Elex are more thin (as i would perceive clear). As far as details, didn't hear a discernable difference. The driver design between the Elex/Elearand Clear are different. A pad upgrade is far shy from upgrading an Elex/Elear to a Clear.

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,388 of 2,030
The Clear are more full sounding than the Elex while the Elex are more thin (as i would perceive clear). As far as details, didn't hear a discernable difference. The driver design between the Elex/Elearand Clear are different. A pad upgrade is far shy from upgrading an Elex/Elear to a Clear.

I don’t hear the Elex / Elear sounding thinner so much as rolling off the treble later and more abruptly than the Clear, which I guess makes the Clear sound warmer. Re detail: That’s one of the reasons I like the Clear so much- to me the sound has much more detail, comparable and possibly better than my MrSpeakers AFC. But, my ears are old so you may be hearing sounds I can’t.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,389 of 2,030
Aeolus aren't the most detailed ZMF but they aren't lacking either. I need to break out my Focal Elex to see how the details compare. They have been in their case for a bit. The Aeolus does have that lush, full soothing tone that makes Jazz feel like you're in a dark smokey club in need of a cigar and scotch. They have lots of character but aren't overly colored. Check out the Aeolus thread of interested. I don't want to derail this one.

No worries. I didn't mean to take this thread off topic. I'm curious about the Clear but perhaps that is also a side grade from the Elex.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,390 of 2,030
No worries. I didn't mean to take this thread off topic. I'm curious about the Clear but perhaps that is also a side grade from the Elex.

The general consensus amongst reviewers is the Clear is a big upgrade from the Elear and that is certainly how I feel. How much of that is a different damping scheme, a different driver, or different pads I don’t know, but if you can find one on sale for around $1k new I’d get it. IMHO it’s better than the LCD-2 overall though I do like the LCD bass perhaps a little more. I’ve always wanted to listen to a pair of ZMF phones but haven’t yet so no comment there.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #1,391 of 2,030
The general consensus amongst reviewers is the Clear is a big upgrade from the Elear and that is certainly how I feel. How much of that is a different damping scheme, a different driver, or different pads I don’t know, but if you can find one on sale for around $1k new I’d get it. IMHO it’s better than the LCD-2 overall though I do like the LCD bass perhaps a little more. I’ve always wanted to listen to a pair of ZMF phones but haven’t yet so no comment there.

Well there is this one. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649563907-focal-clear/ Seller is the second owner and there is some discolouration on the pads from use. I know the ear pads can be replaced but too bad I can't do the same for the head band padding.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,392 of 2,030
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,394 of 2,030
The Elex headphones are $600.00 today on Drop.

Shane D

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,395 of 2,030
Anyone know how much of an upgrade Elex would be over DT880 600ohm? I like the spacious sound of 880, but it is just a little peaky at around mid treble and upper treble. Which annoys me on some tracks.

I have both, The Elex has more low end slam at the expense of midrange (subjective impressions, both have great detail)

Technically the Elex is at the cutting edge for dynamic headphones. It is extremely fast and dynamic. I need to do some repairs for my DT880 before it is working again but from memory the comparison is almost slow and velvety (DT880) to fast and surgical precision (Elex)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back