Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 14, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #1,397 of 2,030
Looking for the Elex now instead of the Audeze LCD-1 after the review of Oluv's gadgets.
The thing that suprised me that the Elex sounded way better on the metal track than the LCD-1.
The only Focal i heard before is the Elegia but didn't like that one.
Is the Elex much better than the Elegia ?

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,398 of 2,030
Looking for the Elex now instead of the Audeze LCD-1 after the review of Oluv's gadgets.
The thing that suprised me that the Elex sounded way better on the metal track than the LCD-1.
The only Focal i heard before is the Elegia but didn't like that one.
Is the Elex much better than the Elegia ?
Elegia is completely different, just like Stellia is totally different of an FR than the Elex or Utopia - both much warmer in the highs and with more of a Harman-ish bass shelf. This can be clearly seen on oratory1990's database of measurements. I talk with Oluv quite a bit, and I still can't figure out why his in ear mics are recording LCD1 like that because the two units I've heard so far sound nowhere near as piercing as his demo makes it seem. No idea why. If anything, the Elex is much sharper in the treble with its narrow metallic 10k peak than the LCD1. Unsurprisingly I'm pretty sure the open back Focals are going to out detail the closed back offerings by quite a bit, though I haven't compared them back to back outside a show environment. So don't judge the house sound of Focal off of the Elegia or the tonal balance of LCD1 from that demo. The in ear mics are far better than the MiniDSP he was using before (I also own one), but I don't agree with how the LCD1 is coming across in those demos. Who knows, could be that our pinna shapes are affecting the sound signature differently.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,400 of 2,030
Elegia is completely different, just like Stellia is totally different of an FR than the Elex or Utopia - both much warmer in the highs and with more of a Harman-ish bass shelf. This can be clearly seen on oratory1990's database of measurements. I talk with Oluv quite a bit, and I still can't figure out why his in ear mics are recording LCD1 like that because the two units I've heard so far sound nowhere near as piercing as his demo makes it seem. No idea why. If anything, the Elex is much sharper in the treble with its narrow metallic 10k peak than the LCD1. Unsurprisingly I'm pretty sure the open back Focals are going to out detail the closed back offerings by quite a bit, though I haven't compared them back to back outside a show environment. So don't judge the house sound of Focal off of the Elegia or the tonal balance of LCD1 from that demo. The in ear mics are far better than the MiniDSP he was using before (I also own one), but I don't agree with how the LCD1 is coming across in those demos. Who knows, could be that our pinna shapes are affecting the sound signature differently.

I currently own the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm version, but this is for use on my desktop pc.
I also modded them with the Brainwavz xl perforated earpads.
How are the LCD1 or Elex compared to that ?

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,402 of 2,030
How does the Focal Elex compare with the Hifiman Sundaras? I've heard of quite a few Elex headphones breaking, but it seems to me that the sound quality of the Elex is heavily lauded. Would it be a suitable upgrade or should I save for a more expensive headphone?

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,404 of 2,030
How does the Focal Elex compare with the Hifiman Sundaras? I've heard of quite a few Elex headphones breaking, but it seems to me that the sound quality of the Elex is heavily lauded. Would it be a suitable upgrade or should I save for a more expensive headphone?

The Sundara is a nice value around $350.
But IMO, the Elex is a superior headphone : a tad more resolving, much better dynamic range, more (midbass) slam and similar subbass extension, sweeter mids with fuller upper-midrange. Both are a bit elevated in the treble, the Elex sounds a bit sharper to me around 6 kHz.
The Sundara is a bit wider sounding. In terms of build, the Elex is 2 steps above the Sundara, but comfort-wise, the Sundara is the winner (although the lack of swivel can annoy), lighter weight and superior headband design.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,406 of 2,030
Ok, i went and listen to some headphone and i liked the Shure SR1540 and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro to my listening.
How do the Elex compare to the Shure's ?

I have never heard the Elex's but have been reading about and wanting them for quite a while. I do own the Shure 1540's and would think that the Elex's are much more clear and crisp. Of course they are much more expensive. The 1540's have not impressed me at all, relatively speaking. I think the Elex may be an end game headphone, at least in my case.

Now I will get out of the way and let actual Elex owners answer your question.:slight_smile:

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,407 of 2,030
Ok, i went and listen to some headphone and i liked the Shure SR1540 and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro to my listening.
How do the Elex compare to the Shure's ?

I just bought an Elex second-hand and expect to get it next Wednesday or Thursday and I have the SRH1540 already. Hopefully, someone else will chime in sooner, of course, but if not, I may have at least a couple of quick impressions I can give next week.

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,408 of 2,030
I just bought an Elex second-hand and expect to get it next Wednesday or Thursday and I have the SRH1540 already. Hopefully, someone else will chime in sooner, of course, but if not, I may have at least a couple of quick impressions I can give next week.

Congrats on your purchase! I almost had a deal done: 1540's and cash for used Elex's. At the last minute he asked that I send my headphones out first and that he would decide if they were worthy/whether he liked them. I backed out. But someday...

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,409 of 2,030
Yup, they fit Elear, Clear and Utopia as well, a steal!
I ordered a few pairs for my Elex.. thinking long-term, who knows if these are available soon / ever again at this price.. Focal likes to keep supply limited and sell for exorbitant prices.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,410 of 2,030
Yeah, I ordered a spare set for my incoming Elex's -- I was too cheap to order more than one spare pair but I figure it was wise to have at least one spare set. They are otherwise so far more expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back