Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,426 of 2,030
For whatever reason, I had a bit more slippage with the Elear/Elex than with the X2. Maybe it was the amount of contact, or the kind of contact, or the suspension strap design, or just the weight distribution, but the Focals would slip more than the X2 on my head. It's been awhile since I've owned either, so I'm going off memory here. I would definitely not headbang while wearing the Focals for a few reasons, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,427 of 2,030
I only use the Elex while seated at my computer or TV and while it is probably a bit looser than average (nothing like the Sennheiser HD6XX, whose extreme clamp made it the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever worn until a lot of bending of the metal part of the headband made it reasonably comfortable), it certainly stays in place during ordinary head movements, including nodding with moderate vigor to the music. (As to my head size, I can't really say except that I don't believe it to be unusually small or large.)

I very rarely use the Fidelio X2 anymore (my first "audiophile" headphone, but not in the same league with my newer phones) but put them on for the purpose of this post since others are comparing them. I would say they are very slightly less loose than the Elex, and very slightly more comfortable, but both headphones are in the same general ballpark as to these points.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,428 of 2,030
I noticed this drop was active again, and for $600, so I placed an order for these today along with a balanced cable from Corpse Cable. I'm very interested to see how they sound compared to the HD600's, which I've listened to for the past 15 years. Also hoping for no quality control issues. It sounds like they are hit or miss, but then again only the people with problematic headphones typically post their experiences.

Does anyone have experience pairing the Elex's with a Headamp GS-X Mk2 or Woo Audio WA22?

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,429 of 2,030
^ You will have your mind blown.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,430 of 2,030
How is the Elex compare to the hd660s and the Elegia? I'm trying to decide which of the two I should sell it or maybe both.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #1,431 of 2,030
I noticed this drop was active again, and for $600, so I placed an order for these today along with a balanced cable from Corpse Cable. I'm very interested to see how they sound compared to the HD600's, which I've listened to for the past 15 years. Also hoping for no quality control issues. It sounds like they are hit or miss, but then again only the people with problematic headphones typically post their experiences.

Does anyone have experience pairing the Elex's with a Headamp GS-X Mk2 or Woo Audio WA22?
Great decision especially at the current price. You do realize the Elex comes with a balance XLR cable, which was a big plus in my book.

Yes definitely an upgrade from my HD600. I use the Elex with my Drop Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X amp w/balanced cable and extremely satisfied with what I hear.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,432 of 2,030
Great decision especially at the current price. You do realize the Elex comes with a balance XLR cable, which was a big plus in my book.

Yes definitely an upgrade from my HD600. I use the Elex with my Drop Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X amp w/balanced cable and extremely satisfied with what I hear.

Yes, I'm aware it comes with a balanced cable but 6 ft. is too short for me and I've read nothing but poor opinions regarding the quality of the cable and it's stiffness. I wish there were more reviews with some different amps, though. It seems everyone is using Schiit and Drop.com amps these days.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #1,434 of 2,030
Anyone else have a DOA right (or left) channel? Tried both stock cables plus my own Periapt XLR cable - right channel completely dead. I've had the Elear/Clear and Utopia - never an issue. Find it odd the darn thing would be DOA right from the start. Sounds like most have issues with failing stock cables - just my luck! ha!

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #1,435 of 2,030
Well, mine arrived today and it appears the right channel is also DOA. Tried both included stock cables and a balanced cable from Corpse Cable. Same results. Great QC Focal. Back to Massdrop!

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,436 of 2,030
Welp. Got my Elex today, from what little I can tell, they sound pretty good. Unfortunately there's a pretty obvious channel imbalance with everything shifted noticeably to the right side

After some troubleshooting I actually figured out it isn't the drivers, cables or source at all, it's the pads. I think everyone is familiar with how important the Elex pads are to the tuning, but I have never come across this before where swapping the pads actually moves the imbalance to the other side. Clearly one of the pads is defective in some way, though they look and feel exactly the same.

Obviously I already contacted support for a replacement, but the turn around will take some time and Drop just replaces the full product.

To throw some good news out there. My replacement came today and appears to be just fine. Would've been nice to just get a set of pads and confirm they were the issue and not the drivers, but alas that wasn't an option.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,437 of 2,030
Thank you. I have plenty of cables that will work. I read they were about the same as the 650. I didn't feel like my V30 could drive the 400s to its full potential. I prefer the 58X, and I think that's about top out for the LG phones. I'm very interested in the Elex.

Don’t have a V30 but I can say an iPhone 8 can drive them with no problems. Not as well as a separate DAC + Amp or DAP but well enough that it’s a totally viable option for enjoying them without distortion or inadequate volume.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,438 of 2,030

Those are some pretty amazing amps. I can’t help thinking the Elex will sound fantastic with either. That said, the Elex is not particularly demanding of amps.

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,439 of 2,030
Those are some pretty amazing amps. I can’t help thinking the Elex will sound fantastic with either. That said, the Elex is not particularly demanding of amps.

For the 2 minutes I listened to the headphones, the left channel sounded good (I think). Too bad the right channel was DOA, and they're already on their way back to Drop for an exchange. Very comfortable and well made headphones, too. A tad bit heavy but not bad once they adjusted properly.

At least Drop was very fast in turning around the exchange. An hour after emailing them I had a return label printed and they were back in UPS's hands.

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #1,440 of 2,030
For the 2 minutes I listened to the headphones, the left channel sounded good (I think). Too bad the right channel was DOA, and they're already on their way back to Drop for an exchange. Very comfortable and well made headphones, too. A tad bit heavy but not bad once they adjusted properly.

At least Drop was very fast in turning around the exchange. An hour after emailing them I had a return label printed and they were back in UPS's hands.

Sorry to hear they arrived DOA, but I am glad to hear Drop addressed the problem quickly. Your comments on quality of construction, weight and comfort match my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back