Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,051 of 2,030
Oddly I’ve never found the Elex bright at all - unless I set my dac to OS 8x and install firmware that makes it more neutral and lean. (And I’m VERY treble sensitive). Then the resolving power of the Elex can sometimes over-resolve strings and higher FR sounds, which can make them a bit too sharp. Definitely burn them in but consider your amp/dac choices too.

My desktop amp is the DX7. It's pretty analytical sounding, so take that for what it is. :) I find it sounds slightly better with a warmer amp, but again, I don't find it bothersome at all with either choice. The Elex is probably my favorite headphone I own for sound signature.

All I am saying is I can see how some people may find treble to be a little brighter or peaky - especially if they are coming from a different headphone like the HD650, which they promote as the next step up.

For example, I'm switching back and forth right now between my HE560 and the Elex -- listening to acoustic guitar music - The pluck of each string is sharper on the Elex than the HE560. While it doesnt bother me too much, its noticeably sharper sounding. The overall tonality of the Elex sounds more airy in the treble to me, so I get the sense of a brighter sound signature even though I consider the HE560 slightly brighter than neutral. It's the impact of little strings that makes me feel like some people may be experience some treble harshness/sharpness if they are coming from something more laid back. It's not necessarily saying that the headphone itself is ultra bright because it's not.

I am getting the Elegia tomorrow. Very excited for a closed back version of this headphone that I can use at work!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,052 of 2,030
My desktop amp is the DX7. It's pretty analytical sounding, so take that for what it is. :) I find it sounds slightly better with a warmer amp, but again, I don't find it bothersome at all with either choice. The Elex is probably my favorite headphone I own for sound signature.

All I am saying is I can see how some people may find treble to be a little brighter or peaky - especially if they are coming from a different headphone like the HD650, which they promote as the next step up.

For example, I'm switching back and forth right now between my HE560 and the Elex -- listening to acoustic guitar music - The pluck of each string is sharper on the Elex than the HE560. While it doesnt bother me too much, its noticeably sharper sounding. The overall tonality of the Elex sounds more airy in the treble to me, so I get the sense of a brighter sound signature even though I consider the HE560 slightly brighter than neutral. It's the impact of little strings that makes me feel like some people may be experience some treble harshness/sharpness if they are coming from something more laid back. It's not necessarily saying that the headphone itself is ultra bright because it's not.

I am getting the Elegia tomorrow. Very excited for a closed back version of this headphone that I can use at work!

For what it's worth, I was listening to the Elex in the company of the Hifiman He-1000 and the Audeze LCD-X on the same rig. The occasional "treble harshness" I mentioned earlier, regarding the Elex, should be best interpreted as a result of an indirect, and involuntary comparison between the sound signature of the Elex and those of the He-K and the LCD-X, from which I do not remember ever experiencing any manifestations of unpleasant treble harshness, however small... I think the context in which the result was generated is important.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,053 of 2,030
For what it's worth, I was listening to the Elex in the company of the Hifiman He-1000 and the Audeze LCD-X on the same rig.

Yes, the Elex's treble is different and intense. I perceived a distinct metallic/brassy tone with female voices and strings for the first 20-30 hours of use. I think this follows from having literally metal drivers, with an ability to maximize or even exaggerate very small volume differences. They seem to make some high notes more peaky, or perhaps collapse high-end fuzz/distortion into pure but narrow and intense frequency bands (e.g., wave/vibration properties).

I like the Elex, but they enhance some sources but cause issues with others.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,054 of 2,030
Treble: I've found Mojo to be a nice companion to Elex. It's the only DAC I've used with Elex, but I also had iFi Pro iCan for a while. In terms of treble, the iCan+Mojo vs. Mojo solo was, at most, minimal. I used both Elex cables with the iCan and only heard a little more soundstage and clarity.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,057 of 2,030
Hey guys, does anyone have any parametric EQ settings they like to use with their Elex? Can you also describe the changes you were going for with these settings? To be honest I like my Elex as-is on my system, but can't help wondering if there's a simple tweak or two that can be achieved with some clever EQ settings.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,059 of 2,030
Yes, the Elex's treble is different and intense. I perceived a distinct metallic/brassy tone with female voices and strings for the first 20-30 hours of use. I think this follows from having literally metal drivers, with an ability to maximize or even exaggerate very small volume differences. They seem to make some high notes more peaky, or perhaps collapse high-end fuzz/distortion into pure but narrow and intense frequency bands (e.g., wave/vibration properties).

I like the Elex, but they enhance some sources but cause issues with others.
I think you’re right, otherwise I really don’t understand why a pair of headphones that have similar frequency graph to HD 650 sound so bright to me. I could listen to HD 6XX for hours without any fatigue. Some say Elex also sounds a bit like DT 1990 PRO, which I could also listen to for hours at a moderate volume. But with Elex, even if I just listen to a couple of songs, they would start to sound too bright for me.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,060 of 2,030
I think you’re right, otherwise I really don’t understand why a pair of headphones that have similar frequency graph to HD 650 sound so bright to me. I could listen to HD 6XX for hours without any fatigue. Some say Elex also sounds a bit like DT 1990 PRO, which I could also listen to for hours at a moderate volume. But with Elex, even if I just listen to a couple of songs, they would start to sound too bright for me.
I still don’t see how the Elex can be regarded as bright. Certainly no brighter than the DT1990 (which is known for its bright tilt, though not quite as bright as the painful DT990). Could be something in your system, because while you do get a hint of the metallic nature of the drivers, this is very subtle and hardly present on most well recorded tracks. As someone who’s very treble sensitive, I find the Elex almost perfectly balanced.

Could very well be the level of detail you’re getting from your dacs is too much for you with the Elex. Like the Utopia with the Hugo 2, the detail is extreme, which some people can perceive as ‘brightness’ whereas it’s actually real detail. Possibly too much detail. Certainly more than the 6XX or DT1990.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,061 of 2,030
I still don’t see how the Elex can be regarded as bright. Certainly no brighter than the DT1990 (which is known for its bright tilt, though not quite as bright as the painful DT990). Could be something in your system, because while you do get a hint of the metallic nature of the drivers, this is very subtle and hardly present on most well recorded tracks. As someone who’s very treble sensitive, I find the Elex almost perfectly balanced.

Could very well be the level of detail you’re getting from your dacs is too much for you with the Elex. Like the Utopia with the Hugo 2, the detail is extreme, which some people can perceive as ‘brightness’ whereas it’s actually real detail. Possibly too much detail. Certainly more than the 6XX or DT1990.

Am I remembering correctly that you have or have heard the Auteur, @gLer ? I'm been wondering since I got the Auteur how close the Elex is to that sound. For me the Auteur has some pretty forward mids and present treble, which gets glarey and splashy on certain amps. I find that more resolving amps help with this issue. Is Elext the same way? Is it redundant to the Auteur?

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,062 of 2,030
Am I remembering correctly that you have or have heard the Auteur, @gLer ? I'm been wondering since I got the Auteur how close the Elex is to that sound. For me the Auteur has some pretty forward mids and present treble, which gets glarey and splashy on certain amps. I find that more resolving amps help with this issue. Is Elext the same way? Is it redundant to the Auteur?
I have indeed heard the Auteur at length. The Elex is probably the polar opposite of the Auteur and is therefore a perfect complement. The Auteur is very slightly brighter - but only with the Auteur pads. Still not fatiguing unless you’re using it on a bright amp. With the Eikon pads it’s not as bright or as airy as the Elex. The Auteur is smooth and laid back; the Elex is super fast and dynamic. The Auteur is balanced with almost perfect timbre, the Elex is also balanced but more dry and less organic.

Both are outstanding headphones and between the two you have almost all your bases covered.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,063 of 2,030
I have indeed heard the Auteur at length. The Elex is probably the polar opposite of the Auteur and is therefore a perfect complement. The Auteur is very slightly brighter - but only with the Auteur pads. Still not fatiguing unless you’re using it on a bright amp. With the Eikon pads it’s not as bright or as airy as the Elex. The Auteur is smooth and laid back; the Elex is super fast and dynamic. The Auteur is balanced with almost perfect timbre, the Elex is also balanced but more dry and less organic.

Both are outstanding headphones and between the two you have almost all your bases covered.

Thanks!

Oddly, prominent treble doesn't bother me as much as prominent mids (1k to 2k-ish). In the sense, the Auteur is swimming upstream for me and I still love it. How do the Eikon pads affect the sound? Lower the mids any?

Sounds like I still need to buy an Elex then. I want something exactly like how you are describing it. I still think the Auteur (and Atticus) is dynamic sounding, but my frame of reference is mostly planars.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #1,064 of 2,030
Thanks!

Oddly, prominent treble doesn't bother me as much as prominent mids (1k to 2k-ish). In the sense, the Auteur is swimming upstream for me and I still love it. How do the Eikon pads affect the sound? Lower the mids any?

Sounds like I still need to buy an Elex then. I want something exactly like how you are describing it. I still think the Auteur (and Atticus) is dynamic sounding, but my frame of reference is mostly planars.
I don’t think the Eikon pads do too much to the mids, but they may seem a touch more subdued with the heightened bass and lowered treble. I’m also sensitive to shouty mids. The Auteur didn’t come across as shouty at all. Neither did the Elex, but both will show up poor recordings for what they are. I had any Atticus and sold it when it didn’t quite gel with my amp. The Elex is more dynamic and more ‘clear’ than the Atticus, and to my ears more punchy too.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,065 of 2,030
I don’t think the Eikon pads do too much to the mids, but they may seem a touch more subdued with the heightened bass and lowered treble. I’m also sensitive to shouty mids. The Auteur didn’t come across as shouty at all. Neither did the Elex, but both will show up poor recordings for what they are. I had any Atticus and sold it when it didn’t quite gel with my amp. The Elex is more dynamic and more ‘clear’ than the Atticus, and to my ears more punchy too.

Unfortunately, it's an idiosyncrasy with my hearing: even neutral mids seem almost shouty to me. I wouldn't call Auteur shouty if I were describing the sound to someone, for example. I'll try out the Eikon pads, I think. I love the bass on the Auteur already, so I'm a bit reluctant to mess with it though.

I've actually been listening to the Atticus more than the Auteur so far. Mostly because it has been easier to pair for me. Less picky about amps and music selections, I find. Auteur is clearly a better headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back