Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,066 of 2,030
I still don’t see how the Elex can be regarded as bright. Certainly no brighter than the DT1990 (which is known for its bright tilt, though not quite as bright as the painful DT990). Could be something in your system, because while you do get a hint of the metallic nature of the drivers, this is very subtle and hardly present on most well recorded tracks. As someone who’s very treble sensitive, I find the Elex almost perfectly balanced.

I personally don't say 'bright' as the primary characteristic of the Elex, but they have an 'intense' mid to high range -- I chalk this up to less random noise and greater dynamic differences than other drivers. So, at a similar overall listening volume the treble comes across as more defined and impactful and attention-grabbing. The brassy/metallic tone was extremely obvious with female voices and violins at first, as this frequency range was perhaps cleaned up the most with the drivers (my ears might have been accustomed to random noise in this band, or the drivers did have a different tone).

My everyday DAC/Amp is the FiiO Q5 on balanced. The Elex have a mid-high glare to me on single ended, but this declines on balanced.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #1,067 of 2,030
I still don’t see how the Elex can be regarded as bright. Certainly no brighter than the DT1990 (which is known for its bright tilt, though not quite as bright as the painful DT990). Could be something in your system, because while you do get a hint of the metallic nature of the drivers, this is very subtle and hardly present on most well recorded tracks. As someone who’s very treble sensitive, I find the Elex almost perfectly balanced.

Could very well be the level of detail you’re getting from your dacs is too much for you with the Elex. Like the Utopia with the Hugo 2, the detail is extreme, which some people can perceive as ‘brightness’ whereas it’s actually real detail. Possibly too much detail. Certainly more than the 6XX or DT1990.
I get what you're saying. I listen to the Elex with H2 which is also known for being detail oriented. I remember there was a debate in the H2 thread about whether it could sound slightly too bright, and looking back I think it might as well be the H2 has too much details that people (including me) being overwhelmed perceive it as being too bright. Thanks for the insight.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,068 of 2,030
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,069 of 2,030
I got 3D Printed adapters for Focals, and put the brainwavz sheepskin leather pads on it. Its punchier and does reduce the treble/upper mids from listening. Dont know if I totally like it yet. It's a subtle difference. Here's what it looks like on the Elegia.

P1020569.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,070 of 2,030
Has anyone tried Dekoni pads on the Elex, and which type of Dekoni pads makes them sound more “Elear”?

By the way here’s an article about different Dekoni pads on Elear. Not sure if it’s applicable to the Elex, but it looks like the sheepskin pads have a nice lift in the bass and are likely to make the 5k peak not as prominent.

https://dekoniaudio.com/so-you-want-some-focal-measurements-with-the-dekoni-audio-ear-pads/
Well the Elex is an Elear with different pads, so that article applies to your Elex as well. I have the Dekoni sheepskin and fen sheepskin for my Elear, as well as the Elex pads that make it an Elex. I’m currently preferring the Elex but purely for the sound. The Dekonis are superb; my personal preference is the fen sheepskin. Gives the mids a bit of a lift and extends both ends quite nicely. More direct and punchy compared to Elex, whereas Elex is still very dynamic but more refined and balanced. Haven’t heard a track done badly on the Elex yet.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,071 of 2,030
Well the Elex is an Elear with different pads, so that article applies to your Elex as well. I have the Dekoni sheepskin and fen sheepskin for my Elear, as well as the Elex pads that make it an Elex. I’m currently preferring the Elex but purely for the sound. The Dekonis are superb; my personal preference is the fen sheepskin. Gives the mids a bit of a lift and extends both ends quite nicely. More direct and punchy compared to Elex, whereas Elex is still very dynamic but more refined and balanced. Haven’t heard a track done badly on the Elex yet.
Thanks for the reply. The measurement of the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads looks very much like what you’ve described here, with a lift in the mid and slightly better treble extension. I’m also interested in the velour pads cos they look so comfortable.

By the way massdrop is having a special promotion of massdrop compatible dekoni pads righ now, with an additional $5 off the regular prices, so probably a good chance to grab a pair or two.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,072 of 2,030
Thanks for the reply. The measurement of the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads looks very much like what you’ve described here, with a lift in the mid and slightly better treble extension. I’m also interested in the velour pads cos they look so comfortable.

By the way massdrop is having a special promotion of massdrop compatible dekoni pads righ now, with an additional $5 off the regular prices, so probably a good chance to grab a pair or two.
Yeah I wish they would drop more Elex pads. I need a spare pair for when mine disintegrate!

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,073 of 2,030
The elex pads look the same (ex for color) as Clear pads. Are they / do they sound the same?

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,075 of 2,030
Dec 2, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,076 of 2,030
I think some folks are confusing the aggressiveness (or harshness, glare, or what have you) of the elex with an excessiveness of detail, and that is really not the case. Personally, the harshness I experienced with the Elex did not have anything to do with its detail-retrieval; it seemed to have everything to do with the presentation or "forwardness" of that top-end spectrum of sound. I never got the impression that my Hifiman He-1000 or Audeze LCD-X are less less detailed than the Elex, yet I typically listen to those other cans for hours on end each day without feeling any unpleasantness at all... They do great in the detail-retrieval department, except that the presentation of those details is always literally much easier on the ears. The harshness I experienced on the Elex was immediate, and often unpleasant to my ears; it was only a Norne silvergarde cable that was able to tame and smoothen that harshness enough (without eliminating any details) for me to enjoy the other characteristics of the Elex that I found more likable, such as its wide airy sound-stage and its dynamism. It may well have been a product of my own treble sensitivity, which i never thought I had, or of system synergy... It certainly means that YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,078 of 2,030
It just feels like a weight your neck shouldn't bear.
FWIW I don’t find the Elex heavy at all. I do think the headband is problematic though - it’s not padded enough and causes a hotspot on top of my head after a while. Which is why I modded mine:

2558552E-F0F3-480A-BC6E-D65234C5D666.jpeg

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,079 of 2,030
FWIW I don’t find the Elex heavy at all. I do think the headband is problematic though - it’s not padded enough and causes a hotspot on top of my head after a while. Which is why I modded mine:

Hi, where did you get this / how'd you do it? I did something similar with my Clear. Neoprene cut out attached to the 2 jokes by double sided velcro tape. But yours looks much more professional.

20181203_133008.jpg

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #1,080 of 2,030
Hi, where did you get this / how'd you do it? I did something similar with my Clear. Neoprene cut out attached to the 2 jokes by double sided velcro tape. But yours looks much more professional.

That's a very cool (and neat) mod. I had mine done after I opened up the two 'holders' (with the logo) on either side of the headband and realised there was space in there to support a leather strap. So I measured out the strap size and dimensions, drew up a paper template and asked a friend who owns a leather factory to make it for me. Mine is superglued to the yokes, but hidden by the logo holders. It's only reversible if I cut off the strap, meaning I have to make another one should I want to use it with another headphone. Since I never plan to sell my Elex (and figure any new owner would want the strap anyway) I decided to risk it. Full post and pics here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back