Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,081 of 2,030
FWIW I don’t find the Elex heavy at all. I do think the headband is problematic though - it’s not padded enough and causes a hotspot on top of my head after a while. Which is why I modded mine:

amazing looking strap. I just have some neck issues.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,082 of 2,030
ELEX & ECHO both are European handmade .

Anyone have this setup? GO or NO go?

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,083 of 2,030
Hello all. I’m currently debating whether or not to get the Elex. I will be pairing it with a smsl m9 dac that uses dual akm4490s. Its a delta sigma dac and if their implementation is similar to the su-8 i already own it should be za fairly detailed dac with possibly a slight reduction in glare.

I want to ask what solid state amp would be recommended to get a warm signature from this headphone. I don’t really like a bright sound. My fav setups I currently have are some Audeze lcd2c with thx 789 and mimby with slight reduction in treble and midrange. Another one is schiit asgard 2 with smsl su-8 and hifiman he-400i with dekoni perforated lambskin pads. The final is topping D50 with thx 789 and sennheiser hd6xx.

What does everyone think. Is the Elex a worthwhile investment for me?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,086 of 2,030
It is warmer than it was with other amps I have tried with it but I wouldn’t classify it as warm. I would say it’s pretty neutral with great resolution and a fast, accurate bass. It has the ability to make the hair on my arms stand up with good mid range vocals or a good bassline. I have a SOTM SMS-200 streamer going to a V850 dac to a V250 amp. I am using the balanced output to and from the V250.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #1,087 of 2,030
It is warmer than it was with other amps I have tried with it but I wouldn’t classify it as warm. I would say it’s pretty neutral with great resolution and a fast, accurate bass. It has the ability to make the hair on my arms stand up with good mid range vocals or a good bassline. I have a SOTM SMS-200 streamer going to a V850 dac to a V250 amp. I am using the balanced output to and from the V250.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I’ve been considering a vioelectric amp as well for some time so this might give me another push down that road. I was thinking of pairing one with a r2r dac like somefrom Metrum. Maybe the r2r would a bit more warmth?

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #1,088 of 2,030
Hello all. I’m currently debating whether or not to get the Elex. I will be pairing it with a smsl m9 dac that uses dual akm4490s. Its a delta sigma dac and if their implementation is similar to the su-8 i already own it should be za fairly detailed dac with possibly a slight reduction in glare.

I want to ask what solid state amp would be recommended to get a warm signature from this headphone. I don’t really like a bright sound. My fav setups I currently have are some Audeze lcd2c with thx 789 and mimby with slight reduction in treble and midrange. Another one is schiit asgard 2 with smsl su-8 and hifiman he-400i with dekoni perforated lambskin pads. The final is topping D50 with thx 789 and sennheiser hd6xx.

What does everyone think. Is the Elex a worthwhile investment for me?

I had the good fortune to pick up the Elex along with the MD x Alex Cavalli Liquid Carbon X amp and love the warmth or as some say the "Cavalli Sound" I get from the Elex. I do have the 789 as well, bought primarily to use it with my planar's, and far prefer the LC with the Elex. The Elex has a much more analytical sound signature, think HD800 and is just nicer with the LC. The Elex is a good complement to the Planar sound.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,089 of 2,030
Here's some pad changing data using the Brainwavz Microsuede (oval) pads vs the stock Elex pads.

Basically, it changes the Elex from a neutral-leaning-bright headphone to a warmer/laid back headphone similar to an HD650-ish sound but with the characteristic Focal detail and dynamics and better sub-bass response.

Frequency Response (Raw, and compensated)

Focal Elex - Pads FR Raw.jpg Focal Elex - Pads HEQ.jpg

Waterfall CSD for Stock vs Microsuede
Focal Elex - Stock Waterfall CSD.jpg Focal Elex - Microsuede WCSD.jpg

Here's how the Elex with the pads compares to the Sennheiser HD58X:

Focal Elex microsuede vs HD58X.jpg

Measurements were performed on MiniDSP EARS. Compensation curve is using the supplied HEQ calibration file, which IIRC is based on Harman Target curves. I don't know exactly how accurate the CSD data is, so take it and everything here with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,090 of 2,030
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,091 of 2,030
Jan 13, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #1,092 of 2,030
The 2-year warranty for the Elex is handled by Massdrop directly because it is a collaborative product with Focal. Thanks for all the graphs and pad information. The Elex suits my needs better than the DT1990.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,093 of 2,030
The 2-year warranty for the Elex is handled by Massdrop directly because it is a collaborative product with Focal. Thanks for all the graphs and pad information. The Elex suits my needs better than the DT1990.

Can you elaborate why you prefer the Elex over the DT1990? I never got the DT1990, but was very interested for quite some time. I do really enjoy the Elex, but I will say, is at the extreme of what I can tolerate treble wise. One of the best qualities I like of the Elex is that it sounds great listening at low levels.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,094 of 2,030
Can you elaborate why you prefer the Elex over the DT1990? I never got the DT1990, but was very interested for quite some time. I do really enjoy the Elex, but I will say, is at the extreme of what I can tolerate treble wise. One of the best qualities I like of the Elex is that it sounds great listening at low levels.
Have you tried the Dekoni pads? I was also bothered by the Elex treble with stock pads, couldn’t listen to it for more than half an hour, but after I switched to the Dekoni Elite Velour pads, the bass is lifted and the treble is tamed down and I could listen to it for hours without fatigue. But I guess that basically turned Elex into Elear..

Anyway here’s the article on Dekoni pads.
https://dekoniaudio.com/so-you-want-some-focal-measurements-with-the-dekoni-audio-ear-pads/

I also have DT 1990 (w/ balanced pads) and I feel it’s more V-shaped than Elex w/ stock pads, with more elevated mid bass, more recessed mids, darker high mid/ lower treble and brighter treble; the Elex is more neutral and has better extensions.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #1,095 of 2,030
I currently own the DT1770 and I kind of regret it. That headphone sounds very dark with no fine detail to the sound and the treble then jumps up. The DT1990 was just a bit better but nothing stands out when I tried it at RMAF. Before I ordered the Elex. I tried the V3 of HE560 since I like the original version two years back. But the version I got was distorting in the mid-range and other QC issues. I return it. I enjoy my HE-400 far better and it has much more pronounce bass and clear in the details. I was concerned that I might hear the Elex metallic coloration but that was not the case. The Focal Elex is outstanding for vocals. Male vocals and chorus are the best and natural sounding I ever head on a headphone. Very smooth and very detailed. The Elex was being driven by Monoprice Liquid Platinum. I could not hear any harshness or edginess on the treble. A real keeper for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back